Savage Alpine Trail

Savage Alpine Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Healy, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

The more strenuous Savage Alpine Trail runs more than four miles, and connects the Savage River area with Savage River Campground. Use the Savage River Shuttle to travel back to your starting point if you need to pick up a car, or use it to return to the park entrance if you have no vehicle; or, you can walk about two miles along the park road.

Fairly steep and rocky at points, need hands to steady but not support yourself. Very windy up top with great views

Hiked this trail on 8/23 starting at the Mountain vista parking lot and finishing at Savage River. Beautiful views and lots of wild blueberries on the way up. As others have mentioned, make sure you have layers because it’s really cold and windy on the ridge.

Brisk and breathtaking!

I did this trail on a rainy day starting from the campground stop. I did carry bear spray just in case but never needed it. The most aggressive animal I saw was a squirrel. I did see some amazing views even in the clouds. On the way back down it was hard to concentrate on my footing because I was in awe of the view. That lead to one fall but I was luck to land on my padding and hop back up. In some areas, a fall could have been disastrous.

If you are riding the shuttle, catch a ride back from the Ranger booth at the river. The Rangers are always happy to point you in the right direction.

Absolutely beautiful hike! We had breathtaking views of Denali from the top! If you start on the gradual side and go down the steep side, it really isn’t too strenuous. We saw hikers of all ages. It’s heavily trafficked so bears weren’t a huge concern but carry bear spray just in case. Be prepared for A LOT of wind. Even on a calm day we had around 50mph prevailing winds on the exposed side. Highly recommend this hike!

Did the trail with my boys, 14 and 12 years old in 2.5 hours. Rigorous uphill but great vista views. Temp changes so layers helped.

Started at wilderness trail loop and ended at the Savage river (4mile hike). We had two 4 yr olds and two 7 yr olds and they nailed it! Breathtaking views and we even saw a big blonde bear.

Not an easy hike, however the views are stupendous! We did this with our 2 teenage daughters, and it was fully within everyone’s capability. I felt like we were on The Sound of Music while hiking the ridge line. I highly recommend starting at the Savage River trailhead and hiking towards Mountain Vista area. This gets the hardest part done early in the hike.

Hiked up to the high point from the Savage River lot. The incline is for sure brutal on the west side. Elected to head back down to the lot from there as it was raining pretty hard and we were soaked through. That view at the top is worth the climb, though.

fantastic hike, started from the savage river parking lot with a steep climb. amazing views of the valley and savage river.

Only did the section from the Savage River parking lot to highpoint, but WHATA VIEW!

A real quad burner and quite windy at the top but worth the view.

Fantastic hike! Left from river side with a good strenuous vertical start to the top of the crest. Spectacular views as the weather moved in. Freezing rain and snow rest of the way. High north winds at the outset but just be prepared. Weather changes in an instant there. Highly recommend this hike. Went in early June.

So I did this hike with a friend on 9/1/2014, not expecting much to change from a beautiful, clear morning hike we'd had elsewhere. Everything started off fine as we headed along the river. We noticed what looked like a storm a ways off. By the time we started gaining elevation we were getting into it, and soon we found ourselves in a quite the little blizzard. Semi-high winds, couldn't see beyond the next ridge often, it was pretty cool and a few times slightly scary. It was like being in a Game of Thrones episode. So this is all to make the point, check the weather before you head up so you know what you might be getting into.

Anyway, quite the workout and fun hike. Hard to speak of the view since we couldn't see much, but I bet it's great on a clear day. We only went one way, then hitched a ride back to the trailhead. Overall highly recommended.

Awesome hike, but wouldn’t recommend if there’s still snow. We lost the trail and ended up making our own path through some sections.

I found it challenging but definitely doable. Real windy on the south side so bring some layers. Featureless near the top but great views of Denali if you’re lucky enough to have clearer skies. Hiked in May and didn’t see any wildlife except squirrels. Would love to do again in the Summer months for better surroundings and less snow track .

Windy and sublime

Cool hike with a little wildlife, some grizzly activity at the end of the trail ( moose lunch). skip the bus return and hike both directions.

Only did a mile from the river side,but still gorgeous!

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Great Hike! The switch backs make it easier and I felt more moderate than hard.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Best hike we took while in Alaska. Hiked up the gradual side from the Mountain View trail. Stopped for lunch at the summit and spectacular views. Instead of hiking back over, we walked 2 mi along Park Rd back to our car.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Awesome experience... we set up hammocks off the trail using boulders as anchors.. seen 2 Caribou, & about a dozen doll sheep.. hiked up the mountain vertically to the top 4,244' .. an amazing hike!!!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Gorgeous hike, I started from the inclined end. The sky was clear and I could see Denali. There were 2 bull moose laying in the thickets within 100 yards from one another. Just an amazing hike and not too strenuous.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Great great trail in the Park. A little tough on the incline but well worth it and it gets easier as it goes.

Friday, July 14, 2017

not hard!! this is a pretty easy trail as trails go. just watch out for the thieving ground squirrels and don't feed them, please! do make noise in the brushy low areas, because bears do hang out here.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

One of the few maintained trails in the park. Great views and manageable as a hike. A family with 4 kids did it with us and made it out fine.

The end near Savage River connects with the loop and is much steeper. If you want the most for your time, start at Mountain Vista and take the trail north to Savage River Loop. You can combine both into a 6 mile hike that is flat at both ends. Take the bus back to start point or all the way back to park entrance

Monday, July 03, 2017

Great this time of year.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great hike, steepest area is at the Savage River end of the trail. Great views and a decent day hike. Hat and sweater for at the top in case it's windy is recommended.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Either way you approach there's a big climb up at first. But also this hike is probably one of the most accessible as a harder hike without having to go past Savage River. Also be warned, did this hike in mid-August around 2/3pm and it was very cold and windy near the top. I would recommend a hat or ear covering.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great views.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Took the family - beautiful views.