Reed Lakes Trail

Reed Lakes Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fishhook, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Varied terrain, first two miles is well maintained, then move into a more rugged trail as you head deeper into the mountains. Several boulder fields.

AMAZING hike! The portion that winds through the boulder field was pretty fun! I recommend this hike! Amazing scenery and awesome day hike. Finished it in about 5 hours and stopped often to take photos!

Tons of fun, highly recommend stopping here. good mix of difficulty but well worth the view. little slick if raining!

So much fun doing this hike today! This is my all time favorite trail. Just make sure to wear good hiking boots and good mood. Expect to get muddy or wet on the legs. Pretty rocky and fun hopping around. Beautiful scenery will not disappoint you as you put work into the hike. Parking is $5 cash. Would bring truck since the way up is kinda rough. Bring lots of water to drink. Snack may not be a bad idea since it took 5 hours for me and my husband to complete the hiking. Will do it again!

This hike was amazing. Beautiful scenery and wildlife. 100% would recommend

Awesome hike but should be rated hard, not moderate. Lots of bouldering on wet rocks so be careful not to slip. Beautiful pools of water along the way and lush green grass. We made it to the first lake and had lunch then headed back down. Definitely check this one out!

This trail was my favorite during my trip to Alaska. We backpacked in to the lower lake and set up camp for the night. Once we set up, we hiked another 20/30 minutes to see the upper lake. It was a relatively easy hike even with all our camping gear. I went with someone who had recently done the trail. If not, I may have found the boulder field a bit difficult to navigate. Lots of people with dogs that made it a day hike. I would absolutely recommend this hike for anyone that has the time.

Awesome hike to the bomber crash

This hike is SO beautiful. It quickly moved up
to the #1 spot for our favorite hike. It has varied terrain/ spectacular views/ waterfalls and then the 2 gorgeous teal lakes at the finish. We also made the trek up to the B-29 Bomber crash site from our campsite at the upper lake. This trek is FAR from mellow! I would rate it hard! BUT it is worth it.

I LOVE this trail. The parking is a little tricky and the road leading to it is rough. I definitely recommend taking a truck or something higher off the ground. You begin the train by hiking back into the valley, following a river that eventually leads to a beaver lodge. The trail then heads up a relatively steep incline where you’re met with boulders. The boulders are a little difficult to navigate when wet, but they shake things up and that’s what I like! The lake itself is amazing and very cold! There were beavers there last time I was there which was about a year ago. I definitely recommend this hike to anyone who is willing to go for a lengthy hike in Hatcher Pass.

Gorgeous! The boulder field was a little more difficult to navigate than I had imagined, but the rest of the trail was terrific.

Beautiful! Pretty easy hike and the bouldering makes it interesting. Went up early July and it started hailing once we got up to the waterfall which just made it more fun.

Knocked this out with a group of 6 and 2 doggos yesterday, weather conditions were a bit iffy (light rain most of the day before and during) which made the transition from trail to boulder crossings/bouldering a bit sketchier for some of the group. Stopped at lower reed lake for some lunch and a great view then took off. One of our party ended up falling and spraining (or small break not sure yet) an ankle with a pre existing injury. Ended up doing a lot of buddy and team carry variants for about 4 miles to the trailhead. Shitty situation but good lessons learned for individuals and group ie; route selection during transitions, kit considerations for medical etc.

All that aside, can’t complain will def return to hit upper

I only made it to the lower lake but it was so gorgeous the whole way. The scrambling had me thinking about turning around. I can’t fathom why people put their dogs through that, many pups were crying and being carried across, hopefully more from fear...please don’t take dogs, those boulders are terrifying. I am glad I persevered though, the lake was gorgeous, mostly covered in ice but such s brilliant blue/green where it was clear. Just amazing views and colors, really should be rated as hard imo.

This is one of my favorite hikes! It's moderate, a great length, and absolutely beautiful!

Having said this, I just went up there yesterday and the two-mile road in is still closed (adding 4 miles to your hike) and the majority of the trail is still completely snow covered and/or filled with standing water and deep mud. I wish I had my xtra tuffs! Also, I will wait a few more weeks before going back! :)

Monday, September 18, 2017

Super great hike!!! Absolutely amazing scenery around the lakes. Trail was a bit muddy and slippery in spots, but nothing real awful.

Monday, September 11, 2017

This hike was full of diversity. The trail starts out as a well kept and maintained path then switches to a few switch backs as you go up and make your way to a boulder field. Boulder hoping was a bit tricky for me only because I was wearing my son other wise I imagine it would not have been bad at all as my husband hoped easily across. After making it across the first section a nice lady told us to continue to stay right on the way back. it was good advice! The lakes are beautiful!! The hike hike is relatively easy. The boulder jumping and length would be what makes it a moderate/hard hike.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Super fun trail for my dogs and I

Sunday, September 10, 2017

This is a great place to do a first overnight hike if you've never done one. The views are beautiful. There is some boulder hoping you have to do but my 30 pound dog did pretty good, had to only pick her up a few times on the steep rocks. On the way out we found a route to avoid all the boulders and it was still beautiful but cut our time down significantly. It is rather heavily trafficked path.

Monday, September 04, 2017

I have one reactive dog and one super friendly dog. We have been looking for more challenging, less populated trails to explore and I. loved. this. trail. I agree with the person that described it as the Lord of the Rings lands- it's absolutely gorgeous. Everything you want in a trail. Until... the boulders. One person commented on a crossing with rocks.... well- I thought we had crossed it- water flowing with calmer creek and stepping stones across. My two 90# dogs did that with no problem. Then (what I'm guessing was) about 2.5-3 miles into the climb.... the boulders (which is what I call them) However, my dogs saw them as "HUGE, GORGEOUS boulders, but with deep holes between them that hungered for dog meat. No water ran underneath- just holes into a deep unknown space". Needless to say, I had to turn around and sadly (not reallly sadly because the entire experience was INCREDIBLE) head back because my huge puppies basically formed a silent boycott to crossing. I will lay eyes on you, Reed Lakes... just puppy-less. This place is a "must hike" imho for the "moderate" trail seekers.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Great day for a great hike. I took my two dogs but I don't think I'll do it again. they had a hard time with the boulders that are over the creek. It was beautiful and well worth it.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Absolutely spectacular hike, with something for everyone. Less experienced/conditioned hikers can go the first several miles which are mostly flat and be treated to some spectacular views of the mountains, as well as get up close with the beaver dams. Those looking for more of a challenge can continue with the rest of the trail, heading upward via switchbacks and boulder-hopping. You'll alternate between flat areas and ascents, which makes the entire hike feel really well balanced. The two lakes are gorgeous and surrounded on all side by glacier-carved mountains, giving the entire thing a very Lord of the Rings vibe.

Went on a Monday morning and only saw a few others on the trail all day. Not too buggy at this time of year. Highly recommended for almost anyone.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I gave it 4 stars, because there were no orcs, elves, dwarves, Rangers, Gandalf and Gollum weren't there, and Smaug. Other than that, I love this place!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Amazing views! We went when the fog was rolling through, but as soon as we made it to the top the fog cleared and there were blue skies!!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

My favorite hike in the Anchorage area!

Monday, October 10, 2016

We did this hike on October 9th, 2016. It is actually a 9 mile round trip to the upper lake from the trailhead where you park your car. I think the reference to the 11.6 miles as described above may be if you hiked up Archangel Road from Hatcher Pass Road. It was definitely fall time and overcast skies. Thin ice on the ponds and the upper lakes had a few inches of ice on them. It was challenging in that the trail was very muddy and super slippery especially on the steep inclines, and coming down the steep, slippery trail was really exciting!!! The boulder field was actually kind of fun. You just have to look at where you are going to pick the best traveled path. We had a dog with us who is very long legged and agile, like a cat. He did just fine, although he was hesitant to jump from boulder to boulder in some areas. It was better if we were all ahead of him, and he would follow. I think I would love to do this hike again when the trail is dry and the foliage is colorful (summer or early fall). It took us 6.5 hours from trailhead to upper lake and back. We made a few short stops to rest and eat. I personally would not take little kids more than the first mile or so as I would think it would be really challenging for them and they would tire easily. And the boulder field isn't for little ones and it would be hard for an adult to traverse the field while holding or packing them. I would say the description of Moderate as shown here is adequate for a dry day. It is more challenging when the trail is muddy and slippery.

Friday, September 16, 2016

amazing gorgeous hike .. great day hike or over night as there is awesome camping at lower lake!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing hike! Spent a night out at the lake. Not very difficult with a day pack. When we were there a dog got across the rock section but didn't want to go back. Being a 70 pound dog it caused some problems for the owners. The rock scrambling is very fun and not too difficult. A must do hike in AK!!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

All around, beautiful hike with lakes and waterfalls. It is definitely worth hiking to both the upper and lower lakes. The upper lake is a lot larger than the lower lake and you will come across the waterfall on the way. We hiked this trail a day after the rain, so bouldering was a little tricky as the boulders were wet and were at times slippery.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

One of the most beautiful hikes so far this year. Bridges, boulders, waterfalls and the bluest lakes you will ever see!!!!!

Friday, July 29, 2016

Love love love this hike! Planning to backpack it soon.
It's fairly flat until you reach the boulder field. There is a waterfall and lake to stop off at on your way. This is a great hike for anyone that is wanting beautiful scenery every mile of the way. Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking dogs. The boulders would be hard for them to cross over. If you have a smaller dog you could carry, that would be possible. Just use your best judgment on your dogs ability.