Reed Lakes Trail

Reed Lakes Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fishhook, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Varied terrain, first two miles is well maintained, then move into a more rugged trail as you head deeper into the mountains. Several boulder fields.

Super great hike!!! Absolutely amazing scenery around the lakes. Trail was a bit muddy and slippery in spots, but nothing real awful.

This hike was full of diversity. The trail starts out as a well kept and maintained path then switches to a few switch backs as you go up and make your way to a boulder field. Boulder hoping was a bit tricky for me only because I was wearing my son other wise I imagine it would not have been bad at all as my husband hoped easily across. After making it across the first section a nice lady told us to continue to stay right on the way back. it was good advice! The lakes are beautiful!! The hike hike is relatively easy. The boulder jumping and length would be what makes it a moderate/hard hike.

Super fun trail for my dogs and I

This is a great place to do a first overnight hike if you've never done one. The views are beautiful. There is some boulder hoping you have to do but my 30 pound dog did pretty good, had to only pick her up a few times on the steep rocks. On the way out we found a route to avoid all the boulders and it was still beautiful but cut our time down significantly. It is rather heavily trafficked path.

I have one reactive dog and one super friendly dog. We have been looking for more challenging, less populated trails to explore and I. loved. this. trail. I agree with the person that described it as the Lord of the Rings lands- it's absolutely gorgeous. Everything you want in a trail. Until... the boulders. One person commented on a crossing with rocks.... well- I thought we had crossed it- water flowing with calmer creek and stepping stones across. My two 90# dogs did that with no problem. Then (what I'm guessing was) about 2.5-3 miles into the climb.... the boulders (which is what I call them) However, my dogs saw them as "HUGE, GORGEOUS boulders, but with deep holes between them that hungered for dog meat. No water ran underneath- just holes into a deep unknown space". Needless to say, I had to turn around and sadly (not reallly sadly because the entire experience was INCREDIBLE) head back because my huge puppies basically formed a silent boycott to crossing. I will lay eyes on you, Reed Lakes... just puppy-less. This place is a "must hike" imho for the "moderate" trail seekers.

Great day for a great hike. I took my two dogs but I don't think I'll do it again. they had a hard time with the boulders that are over the creek. It was beautiful and well worth it.

Absolutely spectacular hike, with something for everyone. Less experienced/conditioned hikers can go the first several miles which are mostly flat and be treated to some spectacular views of the mountains, as well as get up close with the beaver dams. Those looking for more of a challenge can continue with the rest of the trail, heading upward via switchbacks and boulder-hopping. You'll alternate between flat areas and ascents, which makes the entire hike feel really well balanced. The two lakes are gorgeous and surrounded on all side by glacier-carved mountains, giving the entire thing a very Lord of the Rings vibe.

Went on a Monday morning and only saw a few others on the trail all day. Not too buggy at this time of year. Highly recommended for almost anyone.

I gave it 4 stars, because there were no orcs, elves, dwarves, Rangers, Gandalf and Gollum weren't there, and Smaug. Other than that, I love this place!

Amazing views! We went when the fog was rolling through, but as soon as we made it to the top the fog cleared and there were blue skies!!

My favorite hike in the Anchorage area!

Monday, October 10, 2016

We did this hike on October 9th, 2016. It is actually a 9 mile round trip to the upper lake from the trailhead where you park your car. I think the reference to the 11.6 miles as described above may be if you hiked up Archangel Road from Hatcher Pass Road. It was definitely fall time and overcast skies. Thin ice on the ponds and the upper lakes had a few inches of ice on them. It was challenging in that the trail was very muddy and super slippery especially on the steep inclines, and coming down the steep, slippery trail was really exciting!!! The boulder field was actually kind of fun. You just have to look at where you are going to pick the best traveled path. We had a dog with us who is very long legged and agile, like a cat. He did just fine, although he was hesitant to jump from boulder to boulder in some areas. It was better if we were all ahead of him, and he would follow. I think I would love to do this hike again when the trail is dry and the foliage is colorful (summer or early fall). It took us 6.5 hours from trailhead to upper lake and back. We made a few short stops to rest and eat. I personally would not take little kids more than the first mile or so as I would think it would be really challenging for them and they would tire easily. And the boulder field isn't for little ones and it would be hard for an adult to traverse the field while holding or packing them. I would say the description of Moderate as shown here is adequate for a dry day. It is more challenging when the trail is muddy and slippery.

Friday, September 16, 2016

amazing gorgeous hike .. great day hike or over night as there is awesome camping at lower lake!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing hike! Spent a night out at the lake. Not very difficult with a day pack. When we were there a dog got across the rock section but didn't want to go back. Being a 70 pound dog it caused some problems for the owners. The rock scrambling is very fun and not too difficult. A must do hike in AK!!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

All around, beautiful hike with lakes and waterfalls. It is definitely worth hiking to both the upper and lower lakes. The upper lake is a lot larger than the lower lake and you will come across the waterfall on the way. We hiked this trail a day after the rain, so bouldering was a little tricky as the boulders were wet and were at times slippery.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

One of the most beautiful hikes so far this year. Bridges, boulders, waterfalls and the bluest lakes you will ever see!!!!!

Friday, July 29, 2016

Love love love this hike! Planning to backpack it soon.
It's fairly flat until you reach the boulder field. There is a waterfall and lake to stop off at on your way. This is a great hike for anyone that is wanting beautiful scenery every mile of the way. Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking dogs. The boulders would be hard for them to cross over. If you have a smaller dog you could carry, that would be possible. Just use your best judgment on your dogs ability.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

I loved this hike! Absolutely Beautiful. I'll definitely do this one again. Unique terrain makes for an awesome adventure the entire way.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I love this hike, one of my favorites in Alaska. It looks like you stepped into a lord of the rings movie. Hatchers Pass is always beautiful and reed lakes is no exception. The terrain is unique, which makes it a pretty fun trail. It's definitely a long hike, but completely worth it.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This trail was stunningly beautiful. Every mile offered exquisite views and interesting trails. The first part of the trail was very easy, good for kids and the elderly. There is a clear path that is easy to follow, difficult to trip or slip on, and is very relaxing. This part of the trail goes all the way to the beaver dams and offers beautiful views near the end, crossing wooden bridges over running water and finally seeing the beaver-made lake. At this point, things turn to a moderate difficulty. It's a snaking dirt path with intermittent rocks. I don't advise making this part of the journey on a wet day as the mud is very slick. Be sure to look out for each other and don't be afraid to ask for a hand up, you may need it. Once you reach the part of the trails where the boulders over the water are, it becomes very difficult. Definitely not for beginners, but worth the view if you can make it. I advise keeping an eye out for the weather. Wear waterproof or water resistant clothing, especially shoes. Bring a couple pairs of socks. Carry as little weight as you can and try to strap it evenly across your back. If you plan on camping, bring a small, lightweight tent. Wear layers that you can remove and put back on easily. These are just some tips my group would have done better for knowing. This was our first major hike and we were unprepared. Be sure to do your research.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Every mile offers something different. Valley home along little lakes and beaver dams, to a boulder field, to beautiful, narrow creek valley, and then up to the lakes. There are a few challenging areas, but over all it's a moderate hike.