Reed Lakes Trail

Reed Lakes Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Varied terrain, first two miles is well maintained, then move into a more rugged trail as you head deeper into the mountains. Several boulder fields.

Super great hike!!! Absolutely amazing scenery around the lakes. Trail was a bit muddy and slippery in spots, but nothing real awful.

This hike was full of diversity. The trail starts out as a well kept and maintained path then switches to a few switch backs as you go up and make your way to a boulder field. Boulder hoping was a bit tricky for me only because I was wearing my son other wise I imagine it would not have been bad at all as my husband hoped easily across. After making it across the first section a nice lady told us to continue to stay right on the way back. it was good advice! The lakes are beautiful!! The hike hike is relatively easy. The boulder jumping and length would be what makes it a moderate/hard hike.

Super fun trail for my dogs and I

This is a great place to do a first overnight hike if you've never done one. The views are beautiful. There is some boulder hoping you have to do but my 30 pound dog did pretty good, had to only pick her up a few times on the steep rocks. On the way out we found a route to avoid all the boulders and it was still beautiful but cut our time down significantly. It is rather heavily trafficked path.

I have one reactive dog and one super friendly dog. We have been looking for more challenging, less populated trails to explore and I. loved. this. trail. I agree with the person that described it as the Lord of the Rings lands- it's absolutely gorgeous. Everything you want in a trail. Until... the boulders. One person commented on a crossing with rocks.... well- I thought we had crossed it- water flowing with calmer creek and stepping stones across. My two 90# dogs did that with no problem. Then (what I'm guessing was) about 2.5-3 miles into the climb.... the boulders (which is what I call them) However, my dogs saw them as "HUGE, GORGEOUS boulders, but with deep holes between them that hungered for dog meat. No water ran underneath- just holes into a deep unknown space". Needless to say, I had to turn around and sadly (not reallly sadly because the entire experience was INCREDIBLE) head back because my huge puppies basically formed a silent boycott to crossing. I will lay eyes on you, Reed Lakes... just puppy-less. This place is a "must hike" imho for the "moderate" trail seekers.

Great day for a great hike. I took my two dogs but I don't think I'll do it again. they had a hard time with the boulders that are over the creek. It was beautiful and well worth it.

Absolutely spectacular hike, with something for everyone. Less experienced/conditioned hikers can go the first several miles which are mostly flat and be treated to some spectacular views of the mountains, as well as get up close with the beaver dams. Those looking for more of a challenge can continue with the rest of the trail, heading upward via switchbacks and boulder-hopping. You'll alternate between flat areas and ascents, which makes the entire hike feel really well balanced. The two lakes are gorgeous and surrounded on all side by glacier-carved mountains, giving the entire thing a very Lord of the Rings vibe.

Went on a Monday morning and only saw a few others on the trail all day. Not too buggy at this time of year. Highly recommended for almost anyone.

I gave it 4 stars, because there were no orcs, elves, dwarves, Rangers, Gandalf and Gollum weren't there, and Smaug. Other than that, I love this place!

Amazing views! We went when the fog was rolling through, but as soon as we made it to the top the fog cleared and there were blue skies!!