Rainbow Peak Trail

Rainbow Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful hike with great views. Very steep near the top. Saw many sheep, a black bear and bald eagle.

Great trail, agree with previous comments about not taking your dog. At about the 2 mile point I lost the trail and found myself drifting to the east along the ridge. Going downhill was more difficult, dry dusty ground and lots of loose rock made for some slippery situations and yes I did bruise my pride. Great views, no wildlife. GPS tracker had me at 5.2 miles round trip.

This is definitely a fun trail and the last part of the trail is indeed very technical. We ended up going up from the scree side and coming down on the cliff side (which was very challenging and probably not very safe). The view is absolutely gorgeous!

I love the trail but once you get to a certain point having a dog with you is dangerous, it turns into cliffs real fast. Having 2 German Shepherds with me got real sketchy, real fast. So if you do it, I’d say about 3/4 of the trail is good for dogs, the last bit gets a little too scary for that. It was beautiful though!

Love this trail and definitely going to be doing it again! On the description it says you can bring your dog(s), personal opinion is don’t if you want to make it to the top (Which is why I’m only giving it 4 stars). The first half of the trail is awesome to have your fur baby explore with you, but once you hit the rock climbing part of it, it’s very uncomfortable. Lots of sharp, slippery rocks and very thin and steep. If something were to happen to our dog going up, we were going to have a VERY, VERY hard time getting him down. It sets in one of the most uneasy feelings with your fur baby. Other than that, it is such an awesome hike that my husband and I can’t wait to do again! It is a difficult hike, but soooo worth it.

I did this in March and I was using my nanospikes about half of the time for snow and ice. A big beautiful Dall sheep showed up near the saddle and walked up for a ways- helped me find the path!

This hike was super challenging but fun as heck, lots of different terrain to work with. View from the top was stunning, couldn’t stay long because the wind picked up.

Was awesome! The View

Steep hike but worth it.

Beautiful views, steep climb and windy though worth it!!

It was a rough climb! Very steep! Some treacherous sections! Loose rock, scrambling. Got off trail towards the end. It’s difficult to find it. But it’s pretty obvious what peak you’re heading for. Download the map and try to follow it. Beautiful views!! But not easy!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

great trail with awesome views. definitely not easy though!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017