Ptarmigan Peak

Ptarmigan Peak is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Gorgeous Hike, not a real clearly marked trail. There is a better trail that I cut up on the saddle but I’m not sure where this started. The only reason this received a 3 star rating from me and not higher was that it’s marked as moderate and the top mile is some pretty gnarled rock crawling and scree. Not undoable but not somewhere I’d bring a novice or kids. I did see the obligatory ptarmigan and about 6 moose, one cow calf pair that prompted a 150yrd retreat back up the trail as they were using the portion I needed at that particular moment. All in all a great hike!

No trail after. 25 yards. Just hike it as you like.

Did this hike June 28, 2018. Hike down Powerline and up to Ptarmigan, Climbed Ptarmigan.. then hiked down and followed all the ridges.peaks back to glen alps parking lot. started 1:19pm and finished 1030p. Stops included lunch,picture taking, and rest. Challenging..but doable.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

My friend Eric and I hiked from Flattop up and over every peak back to Ptarmigan. Took about 12 hours start to finish including stops. We parked in the parking lot at flattop but by the time we reached the summit of Ptarmigan it was dark. So we made our way down and followed the trail in the valley along side the peaks ending up at the top of Dearmon. We tried scaling the north face of ptarmigan and I don't recommend it without gear and a serious level of experience. We made it most of the way before it turned into flat wall. Great hike though!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Good steep hike up, and scrambling towards the top. Fun day hike... for more adventure, continue on the ridgeline to Rabbit Lake.

Sunday, October 01, 2017