Portage Pass Trail

Portage Pass Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whittier, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

up to the view which is nice. leave extra time if you want to poke down to the lake.

Amazing hike...up and down.. down and up... awesome views. loved it.

Our moving time was just under two hours, but with our stops for photos and viewing the glacier, it took us three hours. Definitely worth the effort. The first half mile is all up hill, but stick with it and it is worth the effort. Epic photo spots on a clear day.

Starts out really steep until you reach the pass. You then follow a winding rock path all the way down to Portage lake. The weather was misreable while we were there with a low cloud deck and drizzling the entire time. The hike was still worth it. Views of the glaciers, waterfalls, and wild flowers were amazing and the payoff of Portage glacier was well worth it.

Great hike, wonderful arrival on the river (seems to be a bear water point). We did it under the rain, but it was worthy. Be aware of the tunnel to arrive on the start of the hike, you can only cross once per hour.

Amazing! Wish I had my knee braces though as there's a lot of up and down, with long descents.

I absolutely hated and loved this trail. It's uphill uphill uphill. But so rewarding! When you get to the "summit" you can finally catch your breathe and enjoy the view and beauty of the valley and the glacier! The trail is adorned with many beautiful wildflowers. I stopped often to enjoy looking at them. but can be narrow at points, so avoid highly trafficked times or days. We were lucky to only bump into a few people. So it kind of made it peaceful and tranquil. But I can imagine it can get busy too.
This glacier is much more impressive than Exit Glacier. It sits against a background of mountains and greenery and is simply inspiring. Remember to track your time and make it on time for the tunnel returns which are timed every hour on the hour. If you time it right, you'll get to spend some quiet time up there and make it back on time for the tunnel return without having this sit too long in line in your car.

Amazing views, easy hike!

Great trail - the glacier is fantastic scenery. When the sun is out the view at the top of the pass is amazing.

Took me about 3 hours round trip, including time spent taking pictures / stopping to enjoy the views. Breathtaking. This hike made my trip to Alaska!