Pepper Peak Trail

Pepper Peak Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! One of my favorites in Alaska so far. Beautiful view of Eklutna! The clouds were pretty low, so we couldn't see all the peaks, but still worth it!

Even though the forecast called for rain, it was still breath taking. The clouds just kept rolling along. We had sun until we got above the tree line. Coming down we were just walking thru the clouds, and you couldn’t see any surrounding mountains. It was beautiful regardless. Such a great hike!

Beautiful day. Not too hot. The trail follows the twin peaks trail but once you get to the second bench is where the trail starts to get to the peak. It was a challenge since we had 50lb packs on for training. We also did some impromptu self rescue training since there was still a pretty good snow patch off to the side of the trail about 4900 elevation. And at around that elevation we dropped our packs and headed up to the peak. There was some scrambling to get there but not bad at all.

There is no trail called pepper peak. It looks like it was an old trail but according to the trail map this hike does not exist.

a buddy and I made this climb on 27 Dec 2017. Great hike......I recommend crampons for the decent. The views and silence were amazing.....we also saw some goats near the summit.

Visited Pepper Peak yesterday, Nov 26. Climbed to about 4000 feet and decided to turn back as it was pretty steep and I was out alone. Nonetheless it was a great hike. Used micro spikes until the park bench at 2 miles, then put on my new crampons I bough the day before. Ive never owned a pair, but I wish I had sooner. They were needed for most of the ascent. About halfway up the ridge, the trail becomes exposed in certain areas. Probably won’t be long before it’s completely covered. Will be returning in the spring for sure.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

great climb to the peak... be careful of those loose rocks though!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Took the Twin Peaks trail to the second bench. From there the trail starts up a steep section to a nice plateau where you are able to see Eklutna lake quite well if you want a easy stopping place for a snack. The trail to the peak starts up again from there at a easy incline but steadily gets steeper as you make it up the ridge. The summit is well worth it as you can see the backside of Pioneer Peak and the Mat-Su valley quite well. One of my favorites but it is a work out to get to the top, bring water since there really isn't any except the creek and well at the parking lot. But there is a small 'puddle' that's usually around all year about a quarter of a mile below the 2nd bench that will be good enough for your K9 if they came along.

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Beautiful views and picture perfect.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The views are worth your steps. Will do it again.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

It was amazing! However, the total one-way trail length is 4 miles. Also, I would say this trail is equally as difficult as Government Peak and deserves a Moderate to Moderately Difficult depending on which route you choose. Trail was marked well whether you choose the steep and short route by taking a right after the first bench or a right after the second. We went up the steep route and down the longer/gradual route.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Great hike. Beautiful views! You can see Denali, Bold Peak, Pioneer, Matanuska Peak, Lazy Mountain and tons more... and of course a stunning view of Twin Peaks

Tuesday, August 15, 2017