O'Malley Peak Trail

O'Malley Peak Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,293 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Snow is common year round. Please bring appropriate gear.

59 minutes ago

Completed a "choose your own adventure" ascent of this very challenging peak. We followed the usual path to the Ballfield, though needed a bush whack to avoid a very large Moose e joying the comforts of the trail. Once to the Ballfield, our group decided on the class 3 northwest ridge over the class 2 standard gully. It was amazing but only for those confident in route finding and comfortable with a few exposed sections and false summits. After a well deserved beer at the summit, we descended essnetially straight down the south west slope to get to the Hidden Lakes trail and eventually back to Powerline. 11 miles total. No shade after the first mile or so. Also no water until we returned to the valley. Prepare accordingly.

A little hard at first but it was worth it once you reached the peak. Great views! Plus the weather was nice and sunny.

Straight up - no switchbacks. Challenging but rewarding

Fun and Challenging

Just did this one today, pretty dry and no snow at the top, absolutely beautiful views

We only went up to Little O'Malley because of a time constraint, but it was beautiful, clear, not muddy, and just a little patchy with snow (which my pupper appreciated to sit in). A few huge golden eagles were hanging around eying my dog like a snack (my dog is 50 lbs, and these eagles were pretty big too!). Great hike!

Bushwhacked up to baseball field from middle fork , hiked to deep lake and had lunch and went back down Omalley trail. Extremely windy

Hiked this on 10May19. The trail is pretty muddy with significant snow. Waterproof boots will be very useful. The view was amazing. We didn’t see anyone else on this trail but plenty headed to Flat top. The challenging part was the high incline and wind. There are some parts that are pretty shady. Don’t recommend going out there unprepared.

Great hike! The trail was relatively well worn and not too difficult with snow. Rather than hike up the saddle, which was just a snow gulley, I went to the left and went straight up that first ridge off the trail. Worth it! It was difficult but better than trying to hike through the deep snow. It gets pretty windy when you get to the first ridge so bring a wind breaker.

Just did O’Malley today! Took 3.5 hours roundtrip, however my friend and I ran up to the ascent before little Omalley, then the ball fields, and then down the scree coming back. Every opportunity we could. It’s an incredible hike but does require some confidence when heading up the gulley of big Omalley. We took the goat paths whenever we could find them but it was not technical at all. The view from the top, on a bluebird day, is incredible and well worth the trek! Saw about 4 bull moose and a cow coming back. Pretty highly trafficked, but not too many people once you leave the ball fields and start heading up big Omalley. Totally doable hike!

This peak took us almost 4hrs to reach the top, taking our time in some places due to the loose ground and a few steep areas that are probably out of most people’s comfort zone, but if you don’t mind heights, the view is unbelievable!

We went up the ballfield and around Black Lake to climb up along the northern ridge. Would not recommend this route if looking for a relatively easy hike. Several spots with rather extreme exposure and not insignificant climbing was required. Once we connected with the main east-west running ridgeline, we still had a good bit to go until we made it to the actual peak. All in all it was good, but much longer and slower than expected due mostly to the route we chose. Next time, I'd go down Powerline and take the much easier path that splits off to approach the peak on its west-southwest side.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

If Flat Top is “hard”, this trip to the peak at times is harder, but well worth it. The climb from the Ballpark up the north side to the ridge line is loose gravel and steep so use what vegetation there is to your advantage. Be careful nearing the peak as the north side drop off is extreme.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Trail is in great condition and easy to follow, most snow has melted by the end of June but I still had to cross waist deep snow in one spot. Lots of unstable rocks so watch what’s above you on the final climb. My dog made it just shy of the top with no trouble. Beautiful view but should have worn running gators for snow and rocks. Took almost 3 hours

Friday, May 11, 2018

This is an easy trail most of the way. I always keep my cramp ons in my bag and i wear gloves. Past the baseball field is a beautiful lake.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

starts off easy and then becomes extremely difficult until you reach the ridge line. amazing views. wear a good pair of shoes, it is muddy in the early spring.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Lots of fun, even in the rain

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Longer then expected. Great view.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I love this trail!! Once you reach the end of the Football Field, you'll find Black Lake sitting right underneath O'Malley Peak.

Monday, May 29, 2017

This trail starts off easy and then gets your heart beat racing as you walk up the side of the mountain. It requires good hiking shoes and if needed a hiking stick for additional support. Once you've reached the peak ridge you have incredible views and the hike becomes easier. Be careful for the rocks when it is wet. Coming back down is moderate to difficult on the knees.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

A lot of scree. Wish my boots had better grip. Beautiful views of city

Sunday, September 25, 2016

i made it to the saddle and back. i would rate the trail as difficult too.