Wolverine Peak Trail

Wolverine Peak Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and downhill skiing and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

It can be a bit of a struggle after the first few miles, but the end is really rewarding.

While hiking we quickly noticed 5 sheep near the peak. We moved carefully up, as I had my dog with me and didn't want to spook them. We got about 10 or so yards away from them before they started moving, and it was almost like they were taking us to the best spots for views.
We ended up finding a lost dog (not the one that was posted at the beginning) and turned back to meet the owner before we reached the true Peak. But what a hike! Great day for it to. Would definitely go back!

Awesome day hike......it took me and my buddy about 5 hrs to do the 9 mile (with rest stops for lunch). As we were about 200 meters from the summit we saw below us (very close on a ledge) 4 beautiful Dahl Sheep.

I recommend water (about 48 ounces to 60 ounces pending weather), bear spray and pistol (just in case) we saw bear scat (poop) and some sturdy boots or thick soled trail shoes. However, it is my toughest but the most rewarding hike I have done so far while living in Alaska.

Great hike that offers a rewarding view at the peak.

super fun trail run/hike despite being a bit muddy. Only issue was the Moose that wouldn't leave the trail but I did get a good pic

Beautiful hike! There were points I didn't think I was gonna make it. 8.6 miles round trip and one hell of a climb to the top. When the fog rolled in, it was a bit deceiving because we could not see the top of the mountain to gauge our distance left. Once you hit the top of the first mountain there is a pile of rocks. Take a minute, snack, drink water, and prepare for some body challenging trail climbing. You will need to channel your inner strength to push through. Once at the top, it's amazing and worth the push. On the way down be careful of loose rocks that at points are slippery. Take your time and rest. Bring plenty of water and snacks.

awesome views throughout...lots and lots of prairie dogs/ground squirrels and a momma moose with calf. Great surprise view at the summit too!

Second tallest mountain in Anchorage. A bit intense but well worth it. The view from the top is breathtaking .

Beautiful trail, amazing views! We saw several moose. We did it on a beautiful summer day, zero clouds in the sky. Met some people on the first half, not a soul on the 2nd one, which is actually the most rewarding. A couple of streams where you can refill your water in the first mile or 2, nothing after. It's a winner!

Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Definitely worth the challenge.

Nice challenge - views of the city are great. We had some cloud coverage at the higher elevation.

Beautiful and worth it view at the top. Very nice trail. Would recommend

Not sure why it's rated difficult, just a good stretch of the legs for a 58 year old. I'd rate it easy to moderate.

Great views from the top!! Bottom of the trail is very wet and slushy with all the snow melt, wear some good waterproof shoes. 6 hrs round trip.

W/ Alex 4.29.17. 7hrs.

Great views on the way up and down. Not too difficult.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Didn't make it all the way to the top but the first 3 miles were beautiful with the snow!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

What a hike. Easy path to follow, rewarding with its views, and wildlife to entertain you on your hike up. Didn't see a bear but plenty of moose. There's a period where you undergo a long, steep incline-- so the difficulty is measured as it should be--- difficult. The snow caps enhanced the landscapes beauty - as well as its chilliness but all so gratifying. Enjoy your hike as I have!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Starts out easy, then about halfway in it just goes up, and keeps going up. Little break when you get to the first ridge line, but then it's a steep climb again to the summit. Great views all around at the top. Coming down the loose gravel can make the trail slick near the summit, but nothing major.

Friday, September 09, 2016

One of my favorite hikes when I want to do a Chugach mountain without the bustle of Flat Top. Some in the trees, some in the open, and you'll get a great view of the mountains.