Wolverine Peak Trail

Wolverine Peak Trail is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Perfect day for this hike! Trail was a little muddy after the rain yesterday and then the top had some snow. But the trail was evident with all the foot traffic. Clear enough to see Denali and the views from the peak were incredible. Saw 3 moose on the way up and then 20 sheep (3 different groups) at the peak. Definitely will do again. Enjoy!

Views were spectacular. I went on such a clear day that you could see all the way over to turnagain arm and all the way out to Denali. At the peak make sure to look below you into the rim of the valleys, I saw like 10 mountain goats. Saw two moose as well, right smack dab in the middle of the trail-so we had to wait a bit. Also, keep an eye out for the leftover plane wreckage on the right of the trail. But anyway- it was spectacular and I highly recommend ESPECIALLY on a clear day- you can see everything!

Well, it’s as long and as hard as others describe. There are three sections, beginning with some dense foliage and thick roots, transitioning to low shrub and thick roots, and ending in rock scrabble. It’s a steady uphill climb to the summit; not many level areas to stop and admire the view. However, when you do reach the few stops en route, the vistas are spectacular. The summit provides an amazing view up two valleys, each with beautiful alpine lakes and mountain streams. Oh, and we saw a moose on the way down.

Great way to spend a couple hours on the trail and avoid the crowds of Flat Top and Powerline. Absolutely gorgeous day, and only a hand full of folks other than myself. Some lucky hikers got to see a pack of wolves up in the bowl when they crossed over the trail, but I missed them by a few minutes. I came in via the Prospect Heights trailhead, which came up close to 5 miles one way according to the GPS. Nice steady uphill the entire way. Nothing ever really super steep, just consistent. I’d rate this as moderate difficulty for that reason, not hard. If you take some of the less traveled trails, there’s plenty of roots and mud to contend with, but it’s just all the more enjoyable than taking the heavily trafficked and maintained ones. Haven’t been up here in years, but just as fun as I remembered it being.

It’s was great right up until the end. I went during the time of year that snow was melting and it was slippery up there. Still got an AMAZING view of the city near the end.

Three main sections for this hike. Begins with rolling hills in the forest and then up to a ridge. Fairly dry the rest of the way with a series of switch backs followed by a climb along the Ridgeline until the peak. Definitely worth the views from the summit. Look for the air craft remains on your right after the switch backs as you make your way to the peak. Bring lots of water.

Super bad weather when I did it, but the summit is totally worth it. Forested area for the first half of trail is bear area so make noise. Also saw moose on the way up. View from the summit is great, you can see put into the range as well as back towards anchorage.

absolutely beautiful hike. summit was cold, so bring appropriate wind breaker for your incredible summit photos. highly recommend, there is no othing else this beautiful and/or accessable from right outside Anchorage! Plus, if you go early, wildlife will be out. saw a massive grizzly and bull moose as you cross the first Bluff!

The trail was beautiful and decently maintained beyond the Basher trailhead. You can access this trail from a couple points to include the Prospect heights trailhead. This is the 2nd time I’ve done it and gone clear to the top of the peak. The distance is alittle misleading, which is where the 4 stars came into play. The distance is more like 6 miles one way, Fitbit and gps verified! No bear sign or activity well travelled.

I am not a hiker, but I’m not a quitter either.. this trail tested me for sure. And it was definitely worth it. Which is why I will do it again!

We meant to hike the Powerline trail to Southfork. We got lost in conversation and followed the trail to the left which led us to Wolverine Peak. This was a hard hike that took us 3 hours to get up and 2 hours to come down. We took many breaks for water, snacks, and photos. Great for legs, but hard on knees through the rocky area. The winds were strong at the peak that I almost lost my hat. We ran into a porcupine on our way down. Overall, it was a great accident and we felt thrilled to check this trail off our list. The views were truly breathtaking. Go prepared!

This hike was amazing but definitely accurately rated as hard! It’s a lot of elevation gain once you hit the intersection of Near Point and Wolverine Peak. The views are totally worth it, though! There’s lots of wildlife, too: while we didn’t see any goats or sheep on the slopes, it’s clearly good habitat for them, and we did see lots of arctic ground squirrels (so cute!). We did see a moose cow and calf on our way back down to the trailhead, which was amazing. Definitely worth the difficult trek!

Great but strenuous hike. Spectacular views from the top of the ridge.

Great views. Lots of wildflowers. Nice workout. (July 1, 2018)

This is rated "Hard" for a reason. It's hard! Make sure you fuel and hydrate for it, take a snack, and pack layers. The trail back down is almost as tough as the hike up, but the view from the top, and along the way, is worth it. Definitely not for novices or the unprepared.

Legs are on fire, wonderful hike. We were not able to reach the top because of high wind.

Early morning hike was beautiful and challenging. If you are looking for a challenging hike that doesn't require any special equipment this is great. Bring water and good shoes. I imagine the view is spectacular but for me it was a very cloudy climb. Still ominous and exciting though.

I did this hike a couple summers ago. It was a tough hike but was totally worth it especially on a clear day. I did it in late August and a flock of about 30 sandhill cranes flew over top of us as they were heading back south for the winter.

My favorite hike

Simply amazing. Completed on 2-10-18 at the peak of winter! Slight overcast in the morning, but a great day weather-wise. A nice steady stroll from the parking lot onto the access trail will warm you up as you make your way to the Wolverine Peak trail head. Once you start the actual trail there, it begins to steadily incline and you'll do a diagonal slope walk which goes on about midway to the peak. After you make it to the rock pyramid it's a whole new ball game! Determination will reward anyone who reaches the peak. We hit the summit (being led by mountain goats part of the way) and could see O'Malley, Tikishla, Mount Williwaw, Knoya Point, and 'ol trusty Rusty. Mt. Susitna was clearly visable, and was another reference as to how far back you have to go to reach this peak. Views were spectacular! You really get to step back and see Anchorage, Fire Island and The Sleeping Lady in a picturesque manner. Denali and Foraker were veiled...

It can be a bit of a struggle after the first few miles, but the end is really rewarding.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

While hiking we quickly noticed 5 sheep near the peak. We moved carefully up, as I had my dog with me and didn't want to spook them. We got about 10 or so yards away from them before they started moving, and it was almost like they were taking us to the best spots for views.
We ended up finding a lost dog (not the one that was posted at the beginning) and turned back to meet the owner before we reached the true Peak. But what a hike! Great day for it to. Would definitely go back!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Awesome day hike......it took me and my buddy about 5 hrs to do the 9 mile (with rest stops for lunch). As we were about 200 meters from the summit we saw below us (very close on a ledge) 4 beautiful Dahl Sheep.

I recommend water (about 48 ounces to 60 ounces pending weather), bear spray and pistol (just in case) we saw bear scat (poop) and some sturdy boots or thick soled trail shoes. However, it is my toughest but the most rewarding hike I have done so far while living in Alaska.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great hike that offers a rewarding view at the peak.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

super fun trail run/hike despite being a bit muddy. Only issue was the Moose that wouldn't leave the trail but I did get a good pic

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Beautiful hike! There were points I didn't think I was gonna make it. 8.6 miles round trip and one hell of a climb to the top. When the fog rolled in, it was a bit deceiving because we could not see the top of the mountain to gauge our distance left. Once you hit the top of the first mountain there is a pile of rocks. Take a minute, snack, drink water, and prepare for some body challenging trail climbing. You will need to channel your inner strength to push through. Once at the top, it's amazing and worth the push. On the way down be careful of loose rocks that at points are slippery. Take your time and rest. Bring plenty of water and snacks.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

awesome views throughout...lots and lots of prairie dogs/ground squirrels and a momma moose with calf. Great surprise view at the summit too!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Second tallest mountain in Anchorage. A bit intense but well worth it. The view from the top is breathtaking .

Friday, July 14, 2017

Beautiful trail, amazing views! We saw several moose. We did it on a beautiful summer day, zero clouds in the sky. Met some people on the first half, not a soul on the 2nd one, which is actually the most rewarding. A couple of streams where you can refill your water in the first mile or 2, nothing after. It's a winner!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Definitely worth the challenge.