Wolverine Peak Trail

Wolverine Peak Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,622 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Beautiful this time of year with all the tundra a bright red expanse! Fall really has come. It was really super windy on our way down, almost got blown down the mountain off the trail (literally), but totally worth it! Highly recommend.

Great trail but quite the climb. Fellow climber tracked the distance to the top at 4.65 miles. Starts off in the forest climbing to rocky terrain. Last 1/3 of hike is up the mountain on rocks and loose gravel. Descent was challenging for a 62 year old with bad knees. View from top was spectacular. Definitely a great hike.

Beautiful hiking trail to the top, definitely worth the view of the lakes, valley’s and the city of Anchorage itself. The downside was I that my car was broken into while I was gone. Lesson learned: don’t park at the Basher drive trailhead parking lot, it’s too quiet and less foot traffic. Park at the prospect heights trailhead or get a ride from someone.

Started from Basher trailhead. Really good hike. Definitely difficult but the view at the end makes it worthwhile - be sure you go all the way to the peak or it's really pointless. I did this hike on one of the hottest days this summer and my dog definitely suffered for it - he's a hiking dog but ended up damaging his paws pretty badly due to the heat and lack of shade :( Took me around 4.5 hours. the only wildlife we saw was a porcupine about a mile from the parking lot and a moose in the parking lot.

My car was broken into in this parking lot on July 19th. Real nice. Heard about the pieces of trash in this town but just wow. Had a bunch of valuables yet the only thing that was taken was chump change. The alarm must of scared them away, druggies. I was slipping on the dry dirt decent the whole way down and I didnt get the grand view because of the clouds. I've had better days

The first couple of miles to the intersection which took about 20 minutes then another 40 minutes to the first ridge. From the first ridge to the peak took an hour. Roundtrip trip took 3 1/2 hours total. Gradual incline, beautiful views and saw a sheep.

definitely a hard hike but the reward at the end is well worth all the effort. first two miles are a walk in the park. gets difficult after that. About 4 hours round trip for me. one of the best views I've seen so far

Very nice, my first approach. Began at prospect heights trailhead. Trails are clear, a few muddy spots, but that’s to be expected. Mostly dry. I’ll be back!

Great views from the top! can see the next range(s) upon the summit. Trail a bit wet in some spots down low, but not bad. Near the summit still a little snow but not much and can avoid most of it if you so desire by walking the ridge line

For an awesome hike without driving too far, this is the very best.

the directions provided by the app out u at the wrong trail head (bring u to basher)

still fairly snowy and muddy but incredible views at the top!

Spectacular views!

Despite it being warm for the last couple days, the snow pack was pretty solid. There were a couple places above 3000' where I was postholing a couple feet. The trail is defined all the way to the top. It did get surprisingly windy up there--probably 30+ mph gusts. I did it in a little under 3 hours (probably a fast pace for most).

This trail was beautiful and sunny when I went up in mid September. It was a great place to get a killer view of everything around Anchorage.

Perfect day for this hike! Trail was a little muddy after the rain yesterday and then the top had some snow. But the trail was evident with all the foot traffic. Clear enough to see Denali and the views from the peak were incredible. Saw 3 moose on the way up and then 20 sheep (3 different groups) at the peak. Definitely will do again. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 09, 2018

Views were spectacular. I went on such a clear day that you could see all the way over to turnagain arm and all the way out to Denali. At the peak make sure to look below you into the rim of the valleys, I saw like 10 mountain goats. Saw two moose as well, right smack dab in the middle of the trail-so we had to wait a bit. Also, keep an eye out for the leftover plane wreckage on the right of the trail. But anyway- it was spectacular and I highly recommend ESPECIALLY on a clear day- you can see everything!

Friday, September 07, 2018

Well, it’s as long and as hard as others describe. There are three sections, beginning with some dense foliage and thick roots, transitioning to low shrub and thick roots, and ending in rock scrabble. It’s a steady uphill climb to the summit; not many level areas to stop and admire the view. However, when you do reach the few stops en route, the vistas are spectacular. The summit provides an amazing view up two valleys, each with beautiful alpine lakes and mountain streams. Oh, and we saw a moose on the way down.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Great way to spend a couple hours on the trail and avoid the crowds of Flat Top and Powerline. Absolutely gorgeous day, and only a hand full of folks other than myself. Some lucky hikers got to see a pack of wolves up in the bowl when they crossed over the trail, but I missed them by a few minutes. I came in via the Prospect Heights trailhead, which came up close to 5 miles one way according to the GPS. Nice steady uphill the entire way. Nothing ever really super steep, just consistent. I’d rate this as moderate difficulty for that reason, not hard. If you take some of the less traveled trails, there’s plenty of roots and mud to contend with, but it’s just all the more enjoyable than taking the heavily trafficked and maintained ones. Haven’t been up here in years, but just as fun as I remembered it being.

Saturday, September 01, 2018

It’s was great right up until the end. I went during the time of year that snow was melting and it was slippery up there. Still got an AMAZING view of the city near the end.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Three main sections for this hike. Begins with rolling hills in the forest and then up to a ridge. Fairly dry the rest of the way with a series of switch backs followed by a climb along the Ridgeline until the peak. Definitely worth the views from the summit. Look for the air craft remains on your right after the switch backs as you make your way to the peak. Bring lots of water.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Super bad weather when I did it, but the summit is totally worth it. Forested area for the first half of trail is bear area so make noise. Also saw moose on the way up. View from the summit is great, you can see put into the range as well as back towards anchorage.

Monday, July 16, 2018

absolutely beautiful hike. summit was cold, so bring appropriate wind breaker for your incredible summit photos. highly recommend, there is no othing else this beautiful and/or accessable from right outside Anchorage! Plus, if you go early, wildlife will be out. saw a massive grizzly and bull moose as you cross the first Bluff!

Sunday, July 15, 2018

The trail was beautiful and decently maintained beyond the Basher trailhead. You can access this trail from a couple points to include the Prospect heights trailhead. This is the 2nd time I’ve done it and gone clear to the top of the peak. The distance is alittle misleading, which is where the 4 stars came into play. The distance is more like 6 miles one way, Fitbit and gps verified! No bear sign or activity well travelled.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

I am not a hiker, but I’m not a quitter either.. this trail tested me for sure. And it was definitely worth it. Which is why I will do it again!

Monday, July 09, 2018

We meant to hike the Powerline trail to Southfork. We got lost in conversation and followed the trail to the left which led us to Wolverine Peak. This was a hard hike that took us 3 hours to get up and 2 hours to come down. We took many breaks for water, snacks, and photos. Great for legs, but hard on knees through the rocky area. The winds were strong at the peak that I almost lost my hat. We ran into a porcupine on our way down. Overall, it was a great accident and we felt thrilled to check this trail off our list. The views were truly breathtaking. Go prepared!

Thursday, July 05, 2018

This hike was amazing but definitely accurately rated as hard! It’s a lot of elevation gain once you hit the intersection of Near Point and Wolverine Peak. The views are totally worth it, though! There’s lots of wildlife, too: while we didn’t see any goats or sheep on the slopes, it’s clearly good habitat for them, and we did see lots of arctic ground squirrels (so cute!). We did see a moose cow and calf on our way back down to the trailhead, which was amazing. Definitely worth the difficult trek!

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Great but strenuous hike. Spectacular views from the top of the ridge.