Wolverine Peak Trail

Wolverine Peak Trail is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and downhill skiing and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

I did this hike a couple summers ago. It was a tough hike but was totally worth it especially on a clear day. I did it in late August and a flock of about 30 sandhill cranes flew over top of us as they were heading back south for the winter.

My favorite hike

Simply amazing. Completed on 2-10-18 at the peak of winter! Slight overcast in the morning, but a great day weather-wise. After you make it to the rock pyramid it's a whole new ball game...we hit the summit (being led by mountain goats part of the way) and could see O'Malley, Tikishla, Mount Williwaw, Knoya Point, and 'ol trusty Rusty. Mt. Susitna was clearly visable, and was another reference as to how far back you have to go to reach the peak.Views were spectacular! You really get to step back and see Anchorage and Fire Island in a picturesque manner. McKinley (Denali) and Foraker were veiled...

It can be a bit of a struggle after the first few miles, but the end is really rewarding.

While hiking we quickly noticed 5 sheep near the peak. We moved carefully up, as I had my dog with me and didn't want to spook them. We got about 10 or so yards away from them before they started moving, and it was almost like they were taking us to the best spots for views.
We ended up finding a lost dog (not the one that was posted at the beginning) and turned back to meet the owner before we reached the true Peak. But what a hike! Great day for it to. Would definitely go back!

Awesome day hike......it took me and my buddy about 5 hrs to do the 9 mile (with rest stops for lunch). As we were about 200 meters from the summit we saw below us (very close on a ledge) 4 beautiful Dahl Sheep.

I recommend water (about 48 ounces to 60 ounces pending weather), bear spray and pistol (just in case) we saw bear scat (poop) and some sturdy boots or thick soled trail shoes. However, it is my toughest but the most rewarding hike I have done so far while living in Alaska.

Great hike that offers a rewarding view at the peak.

super fun trail run/hike despite being a bit muddy. Only issue was the Moose that wouldn't leave the trail but I did get a good pic

Beautiful hike! There were points I didn't think I was gonna make it. 8.6 miles round trip and one hell of a climb to the top. When the fog rolled in, it was a bit deceiving because we could not see the top of the mountain to gauge our distance left. Once you hit the top of the first mountain there is a pile of rocks. Take a minute, snack, drink water, and prepare for some body challenging trail climbing. You will need to channel your inner strength to push through. Once at the top, it's amazing and worth the push. On the way down be careful of loose rocks that at points are slippery. Take your time and rest. Bring plenty of water and snacks.

awesome views throughout...lots and lots of prairie dogs/ground squirrels and a momma moose with calf. Great surprise view at the summit too!

Second tallest mountain in Anchorage. A bit intense but well worth it. The view from the top is breathtaking .

Beautiful trail, amazing views! We saw several moose. We did it on a beautiful summer day, zero clouds in the sky. Met some people on the first half, not a soul on the 2nd one, which is actually the most rewarding. A couple of streams where you can refill your water in the first mile or 2, nothing after. It's a winner!

Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Definitely worth the challenge.

Nice challenge - views of the city are great. We had some cloud coverage at the higher elevation.

Beautiful and worth it view at the top. Very nice trail. Would recommend

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Not sure why it's rated difficult, just a good stretch of the legs for a 58 year old. I'd rate it easy to moderate.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great views from the top!! Bottom of the trail is very wet and slushy with all the snow melt, wear some good waterproof shoes. 6 hrs round trip.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

W/ Alex 4.29.17. 7hrs.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Great views on the way up and down. Not too difficult.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Didn't make it all the way to the top but the first 3 miles were beautiful with the snow!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

What a hike. Easy path to follow, rewarding with its views, and wildlife to entertain you on your hike up. Didn't see a bear but plenty of moose. There's a period where you undergo a long, steep incline-- so the difficulty is measured as it should be--- difficult. The snow caps enhanced the landscapes beauty - as well as its chilliness but all so gratifying. Enjoy your hike as I have!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Starts out easy, then about halfway in it just goes up, and keeps going up. Little break when you get to the first ridge line, but then it's a steep climb again to the summit. Great views all around at the top. Coming down the loose gravel can make the trail slick near the summit, but nothing major.

Friday, September 09, 2016

One of my favorite hikes when I want to do a Chugach mountain without the bustle of Flat Top. Some in the trees, some in the open, and you'll get a great view of the mountains.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Good hike, lots of loose rock toward the top. beautiful view of Williwaw and Long lake

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Anchorage bowl. It's a great trek up to the peak and a phenomenal view as well. The terrain varies, it goes between dirt and loose rock, but nothing too difficult. It took me about 4 hours to complete the hike from parking lot to peak and back, that being said, we ran a lot of the trail the way back down. Also, there are quite a few mountain goats in the area and a plane crash site off to the side of the trail near the peak. It's consistently windy near the top, so bring a jacket! Overall, it's a great hike.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

It took us about 6 hours to hike the to the peak and back. It is hard going up but at midway there is a flat landing that has a great view. If you struggled getting this far don't give up, you can make it, and it is definitely worth going the rest of the way. At this point you can see the finish line which provides the extra motivation needed to reach it. Pace yourself and take breaks as needed, but it is a great way to spend the day and create some lifelong memories. I believe the best way to invest your time is in experiences and this full trip is worth every moment.

Monday, July 11, 2016

It took us 6 hours to hike it..9.5 miles total to the peak..It was a fun hike but hard going up...definately worth it!

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Y'all weren't kidding when you said a hard trail! But my wife and I completed it today. It took us about 6 hours start to finish- about 4 on the way up. We are pretty inexperienced so just making it all the way up there was a huge accomplishment. Wish we would have gone on a day with a little more visibility- we were literally inside of a cloud at the peak! So the view was lacking.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

A great workout with rewarding views. The Dall Sheep posed for pictures on our way up but be ready for mosquitoes at the peak, you're going to want time to enjoy the view.

Monday, May 09, 2016

First attempt was with a group and we didn't summit because of the wind and snow. Second time I took a smaller group of more experienced hikers and we made it no problem. Keep a strong consistent pace and you should be fine. Great views from the top.