Wolverine Peak Trail

Wolverine Peak Trail is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Super bad weather when I did it, but the summit is totally worth it. Forested area for the first half of trail is bear area so make noise. Also saw moose on the way up. View from the summit is great, you can see put into the range as well as back towards anchorage.

absolutely beautiful hike. summit was cold, so bring appropriate wind breaker for your incredible summit photos. highly recommend, there is no othing else this beautiful and/or accessable from right outside Anchorage! Plus, if you go early, wildlife will be out. saw a massive grizzly and bull moose as you cross the first Bluff!

The trail was beautiful and decently maintained beyond the Basher trailhead. You can access this trail from a couple points to include the Prospect heights trailhead. This is the 2nd time I’ve done it and gone clear to the top of the peak. The distance is alittle misleading, which is where the 4 stars came into play. The distance is more like 6 miles one way, Fitbit and gps verified! No bear sign or activity well travelled.

I am not a hiker, but I’m not a quitter either.. this trail tested me for sure. And it was definitely worth it. Which is why I will do it again!

We meant to hike the Powerline trail to Southfork. We got lost in conversation and followed the trail to the left which led us to Wolverine Peak. This was a hard hike that took us 3 hours to get up and 2 hours to come down. We took many breaks for water, snacks, and photos. Great for legs, but hard on knees through the rocky area. The winds were strong at the peak that I almost lost my hat. We ran into a porcupine on our way down. Overall, it was a great accident and we felt thrilled to check this trail off our list. The views were truly breathtaking. Go prepared!

This hike was amazing but definitely accurately rated as hard! It’s a lot of elevation gain once you hit the intersection of Near Point and Wolverine Peak. The views are totally worth it, though! There’s lots of wildlife, too: while we didn’t see any goats or sheep on the slopes, it’s clearly good habitat for them, and we did see lots of arctic ground squirrels (so cute!). We did see a moose cow and calf on our way back down to the trailhead, which was amazing. Definitely worth the difficult trek!

Great but strenuous hike. Spectacular views from the top of the ridge.

Great views. Lots of wildflowers. Nice workout. (July 1, 2018)

This is rated "Hard" for a reason. It's hard! Make sure you fuel and hydrate for it, take a snack, and pack layers. The trail back down is almost as tough as the hike up, but the view from the top, and along the way, is worth it. Definitely not for novices or the unprepared.

Legs are on fire, wonderful hike. We were not able to reach the top because of high wind.

Early morning hike was beautiful and challenging. If you are looking for a challenging hike that doesn't require any special equipment this is great. Bring water and good shoes. I imagine the view is spectacular but for me it was a very cloudy climb. Still ominous and exciting though.

I did this hike a couple summers ago. It was a tough hike but was totally worth it especially on a clear day. I did it in late August and a flock of about 30 sandhill cranes flew over top of us as they were heading back south for the winter.

My favorite hike

Simply amazing. Completed on 2-10-18 at the peak of winter! Slight overcast in the morning, but a great day weather-wise. A nice steady stroll from the parking lot onto the access trail will warm you up as you make your way to the Wolverine Peak trail head. Once you start the actual trail there, it begins to steadily incline and you'll do a diagonal slope walk which goes on about midway to the peak. After you make it to the rock pyramid it's a whole new ball game! Determination will reward anyone who reaches the peak. We hit the summit (being led by mountain goats part of the way) and could see O'Malley, Tikishla, Mount Williwaw, Knoya Point, and 'ol trusty Rusty. Mt. Susitna was clearly visable, and was another reference as to how far back you have to go to reach this peak. Views were spectacular! You really get to step back and see Anchorage, Fire Island and The Sleeping Lady in a picturesque manner. Denali and Foraker were veiled...

It can be a bit of a struggle after the first few miles, but the end is really rewarding.

While hiking we quickly noticed 5 sheep near the peak. We moved carefully up, as I had my dog with me and didn't want to spook them. We got about 10 or so yards away from them before they started moving, and it was almost like they were taking us to the best spots for views.
We ended up finding a lost dog (not the one that was posted at the beginning) and turned back to meet the owner before we reached the true Peak. But what a hike! Great day for it to. Would definitely go back!

Awesome day hike......it took me and my buddy about 5 hrs to do the 9 mile (with rest stops for lunch). As we were about 200 meters from the summit we saw below us (very close on a ledge) 4 beautiful Dahl Sheep.

I recommend water (about 48 ounces to 60 ounces pending weather), bear spray and pistol (just in case) we saw bear scat (poop) and some sturdy boots or thick soled trail shoes. However, it is my toughest but the most rewarding hike I have done so far while living in Alaska.

Great hike that offers a rewarding view at the peak.

super fun trail run/hike despite being a bit muddy. Only issue was the Moose that wouldn't leave the trail but I did get a good pic

Beautiful hike! There were points I didn't think I was gonna make it. 8.6 miles round trip and one hell of a climb to the top. When the fog rolled in, it was a bit deceiving because we could not see the top of the mountain to gauge our distance left. Once you hit the top of the first mountain there is a pile of rocks. Take a minute, snack, drink water, and prepare for some body challenging trail climbing. You will need to channel your inner strength to push through. Once at the top, it's amazing and worth the push. On the way down be careful of loose rocks that at points are slippery. Take your time and rest. Bring plenty of water and snacks.

awesome views throughout...lots and lots of prairie dogs/ground squirrels and a momma moose with calf. Great surprise view at the summit too!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Second tallest mountain in Anchorage. A bit intense but well worth it. The view from the top is breathtaking .

Friday, July 14, 2017

Beautiful trail, amazing views! We saw several moose. We did it on a beautiful summer day, zero clouds in the sky. Met some people on the first half, not a soul on the 2nd one, which is actually the most rewarding. A couple of streams where you can refill your water in the first mile or 2, nothing after. It's a winner!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Definitely worth the challenge.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Nice challenge - views of the city are great. We had some cloud coverage at the higher elevation.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Beautiful and worth it view at the top. Very nice trail. Would recommend

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Not sure why it's rated difficult, just a good stretch of the legs for a 58 year old. I'd rate it easy to moderate.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great views from the top!! Bottom of the trail is very wet and slushy with all the snow melt, wear some good waterproof shoes. 6 hrs round trip.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

W/ Alex 4.29.17. 7hrs.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Great views on the way up and down. Not too difficult.