Mt. McGinnis Trail

Mt. McGinnis Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Challenging hike. Slightly more difficult than I anticipated but well worth it. Trail is pretty wet until you get above the tree line. Cold and windy on top -jacket, hat and gloves in case you're delayed up there is always a good idea. Easy to get turned around especially when coming down. Look closely for orange tape in the trees marking the way. If you feel lost you probably are.....climb back up and locate the marker tape to get back on track. My phone battery died for a few minutes so my track says 9.7 miles. I think that's a little short .....felt like 11 miles to me:) I walked up on a porcupine that was so big I thought it was a bear at first. My "Lyft" was waiting for me at the bottom right when I finished so life is good. Now I'm going to sleep!

IMPORTANT. DO NOT FOLLOW THAT MAP THAT IS DRAWN ON HERE. You will not even be remotely close to the red line when hiking. I think they had some little kid just draw a squiggly line from point A to point B. Everything else was great. Plan on getting lost a few times. There is no longer a sign at the trailhead so you have to know when to turn left. Flags marking the way are sometimes fallen or unseen. Be sure to look both forward and backward to assure you know where you are going. Also the views on east glacier trail are phenomenal. I realize the people that have mapped it out below know what they are doing. Follow those instead

West glacier trail is nice and easy with a few nice viewpoints. No jokes about it, this is a long steep hard climb to the top. I was able to see Mt. Fairweather over the Chilkats. I dropped down and had lunch while looking at Mendenhall towers.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Easy hike through the end of West Glacier Trail, but once you're on Mt. McGinnis Trail, it's trail sniffing. Keep an eye on tape markers for it will help you navigate through the unmarked trail. Awesome views of Mendenhall Glacier and Mendenhall Valley. Dogs are allowed on the trail.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013