Mount Verstovia Trail

Mount Verstovia Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Sitka, Alaska that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A beautiful mountain during the winter and summer. Immense views of the surrounding water ways and vast mountains further into the island. Making a summit push in the winter is a little rare and you need all of the right tools. Most people opt for the skis and snowboard in winter.

picnic rock was beautiful

I think it’s crazy to call this moderate compared to others like the virtually flat Indian River trail in Sitka nearby. If you’re an experienced hiker, I could see this being more easy. It’s doable, but there’s tons of tree roots boulders and not a ton of room for error walking, so I’d put it in the difficult rating. It was absolutely stupendous and I’ve never seen more stunning views.

Bring good shoes, more than a bottle of water and let people know where you are going if you take this to Arrowhead, especially If you are a novice. Enjoy! It’s a amazing hike!

The trail was quite enjoyable to walk up and a little less to come down. I appreciate all of the work that has gone into the steps, cables and ropes. I did find myself off of the trail once but that was my own fault. looking down at my foot placement and I missed a switchback. Others had as well so I followed their footsteps up the drainage and back on to the trail. The trail is rated moderate but I give it a difficult. even though there has been significant step work, there are sections that require some hand and leg work. I was fortunate and the sun came out as I approached the 1st summit at 2550. I did not go on due to my lack of time.

Gorgeous views on a clear day like we had! Steep and technical but worth it for the views!

Incredible hike with amazing views of ocean, bays, and snow covered mountains. This is a fairly steep climb but the trail is well maintained. It has a cool rain forest feel. We had perfect weather during this hike/trail run at the end of May. Slide down some snow on Verstovia.

Great hike, great views

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Steps are inconsistent in height from step to step step to ground. Otherwise beautiful views. Not many muddy places!

Monday, August 07, 2017

This trail was absolute perfection!!!!! We carried on to summit Arrowhead, so the entire hike was 8 hours with an hour break at Arrowhead peak. I highly recommend this hike, and plan to do it again next time I'm in town!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Great trail! Very steep and a bit rugged. Well marked and easy to stay on the path. A few muddy spots. I made it to picnic rock in February- snow covered for the last 300 yards. The views at the top are epic!

Sunday, June 25, 2017