Mount Roberts Trail

Mount Roberts Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I love this hike! Up the steps from the end of town, through a little neighborhood to the trail head.

It is a bit muddy at times. Best done with a good pair of hiking shoes but sneakers work.

Muddy! Beautiful forest, quiet and peaceful. Few outlooks , worth the trek

Hiked this trail a week ago. It was a good challenge. Trail was fairly well-marked.

I didn't have spikes and I wish I did. From the start, the trail will be very muddy. As you ascend you will walk across alot of ice and then snow and ice/mud. I slipped multiple times on the way down. You can get up and down without spikes, but you will have a more enjoyable/easier time with spikes.

Hiked it a couple weeks ago and was thank full for our spikes. Super hard hike but enjoyed the challenge. Next time we continued on to the cross

used spikes because of enough ice under snow pack, but didn't need snowshoes. only person on trail, but trail is clear and easy to follow. fun to hike from downtown Juneau to the top of mountain and back to town for a good cocktail afterwards. view from top would be epic if the snowfall and wind came in during the missed of hike.

beautiful.!!!

Was a lot of fun to do once but I wouldn't do it again unless I wanted the exercise, there's really hardly any views until you get to the top. Worth going once for sure.

Was very foggy and the heavy rain prevented us hitting the peak, but some great views before the fog. Once you pass the Cross the crowds drop to almost nothing.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Great hike and the view is amazing. It can be a little muddy when it rains, but still a good hike.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Don't give up when you reach the tram station, keep going til you hit the top!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

A little over an hour hike from my hotel in downtown to the tram. Not terribly steep but a good uphill hike on the entire trail. I spent $10 (actually a $100) and got a free trip down on the tram.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Friday, September 16, 2016

Hiked to the tram and back. It had been raining ever so slightly that morning, but we decided to hike it anyway. About a quarter of the way up it got suddenly nasty. We kept climbing, convincing ourselves we would simply take the tram back down from the top. After a grueling, cold, and VERY wet hike up the mountain, we find the tram has closed early due to inclement weather! We were already soaked to the bone, but had to other option--we set off back down the hill. Although we were dripping from every square inch of our persons, the hike was a fun experience none the less! I believe it would have been even better experiencing the hike on a dry, sunny afternoon!

Friday, August 05, 2016

A bit slushy but a good trail, especially if you continue past the tram to Gastineau Peak (2 more miles) or Mt. Roberts (3 more miles). Epic views of the Chanel, lots of wildlife. Snow patches even in August but the trail was clear of snow.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A great alternative to paying the $30+ for the round trip tram ticket. Be prepared for uphill. Went in mid July and there was not much mud on the trail. Spend $10 in the gift shop to get a ride down on the tram!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pretty awesome, good uphill, lots of flies.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Fun stormy rainy day! The trail is steep (you are climbing a mountain, lol) and a bit muddy and slippery but overall not very difficult and a quick hike. Took me one hour and forty-five minutes.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

This trail from the road to the tram doesn't offer much in terms of views and can be very muddy. Also I really don't know why AllTrails labels this easy (using the mobile app); I completed this 4 yrs ago and my memory is that the trail is always on a pretty steep incline. Once you reach the tram the trail opens up and flattens a bit afterwards. So you do get superb views of the channel and Douglas Island at that point.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

This is a moderately steep and muddy trail from Basin Road up to the top of the Mt. Roberts tram. You can access the trail head off Basin Road just past the wooden bridge. There is an alternate trail head closer to downtown at the end of 6th Street. There are numerous signs that the 6th St. Trailhead is closed, but it gets plenty of use from the locals.
The trail winds up through heavy forest and looks to get plenty of use. I hiked it last on a bright sunny day and it was still very muddy and wet. This trail ends at the tram. The trail beyond the tram is much better. The views of town and the Gastineau Channel are spectacular. There are plenty of wild flowers. The trail continues on for many miles to Gold Ridge, Mt Robets, and beyond. You can ride the tram up or down for $10 each way to skip this trail and get right to the good stuff higher up.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Add on at least a mile if you walk to the trailhead from the town center, it's all uphill :) The hike up to the tram on the mt roberts trail was steady up, up, up - but totally doable - and the beautiful surroundings take your mind off of the burning in your thighs. Really a great little hike, I hear that lots of locals run or hike this after work, it's a really enjoyable workout i can see why. Was lucky enough to have beautiful, sunny, 70 degree weather. This hike is a must-do if you able-bodied. ..why take the tram when you can earn your way to the top!

Friday, October 11, 2013

The trail was fun! It was mildly raining when my Dad and I went, but I highly recommend it anytime. Once you get to the top, the view of Juneau is really quite spectacular and well worth the uphill climb. Cheers!

Monday, June 18, 2012

Once you've made it past the tram and the tourists, then the real trail begins. Starting with a winding path up to the cross, the trail is fairly easy. From there, it is a steady incline for another hour or so. But after that you reach a fairly flat summit with rolling green hills, and a fork in the trail that leads out to the snowy mountain next door.

Up to the tram, the trail is fairly repetitive, and up. Hiking through trees in juneau, is the same wherever you are, and this trail fits right in. So if you want to hike the Mt. Roberts trail, start at the tram and head up.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Great Hike! challenging and scenic, and it's great how when you get to the top you can get a beer and sandwich at the restaurant, then take the cable car down.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mount Roberts Trail is over 2200 Miles long and I always get a chuckle of those who state they completed this trail. But it is the easiest trail I ever enjoyed. Starts at the cruise ship docks with a tram carrying you up the first part of mountain ending at a eagle rehab site. Interesting and beautifull view over looking Juneau and the Gastineau Channel. The trail really starts at that point and it is all upwards as far as went. A mile in a sign warned about continuing at your own risk. My brain interprets that as "keep going". We got above the tree line and looked down on beauty everywhere. Didn't have time to get to the snow line up higher, but made clear to my spouse "up there" is where I want my ashes placed! After taking it all in for a while it was time to return to beat sundown. Only regret was not seeing any wildlife. I would return in a heartbeat and time it to make the snowline. Just Awesome.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

This is a nice, easy, short trail. The scenery is great - if the clouds clear. Remember that you're in a rain forest, and views are very variable. The tram ride to the top is nice. The only real drawback is that you are in a major cruise ship port. Expect crowds of (Eek!) tourists!