Mount Marathon

Mount Marathon is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Seward, Alaska that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

I went up and down the race trail. It was brutal, only a mile and a half or so , but the incline is so steep that I was literally doing that exercise called "mountain climbers" all the way up. It requires a huge effort just to get 50 feet, and required a rest for me at least in that many feet. Of course, you're not supposed to go up that way anyway, but it was dark when I started so I missed the signage. Anyway, once you're up at the peak (finally) it's really an amazing view. Mountains everywhere, the city of Seward, the ocean with little rocky islands in it, mountain goats, lots of waterfalls going down the mountains, all of this is yours to enjoy. Another thing that is great is that there is absolutely no challenge once you're on the top, except for maybe balancing as you enjoy trotting along the ridge, and short little squabbles up rocks. You can go as far as you want along the ridge until you're really close to the very tall peak of Marathon about 1000 feet up higher, looks like you might need climbing gear for that, I dunno, it looks very imposing either way. So my recommendations are to go up the easier way (there is great signage that tells you everything) or else it will take you like 2 and a half hours. I don't care if the record is like 25 minutes up, unless you're a world class athlete I promise that it will take much much longer.

My wife and I hiked this trail on Sept 9. Seward had been getting a lot of rain the previous 3 weeks but we had a sunny day and the trail was very muddy.
Starts out moderately steep, gets easy for a while and then gets back to moderately steep at the end. The Mt Marathon Bowl was just beautiful in it's fall colors. WE saw 2 moose and 6 black bears which included a sow with 3 cubs from this spring.

A great hike but super muddy! Didn't make it to the peak due to a black Bear coming down the hill. I decided to go down as well

Took the hikers trail up. Jeep Trail was an easy walk up to the tree line. Bench trail was slightly overgrown, but easy to navigate. Very muddy due to rain, decided to turn around near the top of the Bench Trail as the rain began to pick up and the path steepened. Even with the rain, I still had great view of the bay, would love to go back when it's a little drier!

Fabulous end to an evening exploring in Seward. We happened upon the trailhead at about 9p after an active day and a few drinks, decided to go for it without really knowing what we were doing. It took us a couple hours to get to the top and we were completely unprepared for a hike amd for climbimg rock faces in the beginning, haha. Got lost on the way down which made this take about 4 hours for us. The view was amazing, and this is on my list to do again

Great hike, took the hikers trail up and the runners trail down. Took about 2 hours to reach the summit and maybe about 30-40 minutes down. There are several herd paths along the hikers trail but it seems as if all trails lead up the mountain. There are AMAZING views as soon you get above the tree line almost all the way to the summit. There is large rock near the edge of the mountain with a marker on it and further up the trail is a small cairn. Either way, if you make it this far, you have reached the summit. The runners down is fast and hard on the knees. Once you reach the cliff section it is a bit steep but nothing crazy. The bugs were crazy so bring spray and keep moving.

Hard! Whether you take the runner's trail or the longer hiker's trail, at some point, the trail gets very hard. When you get to the scree, it will seem like you are taking one step back for each one forward. But, this hike is so worth the effort. I took the longer hiker's trail which traversed below the summit, then turned back to the summit while my niece took the harder runner's trail. We were both rewarded with incredible views of Resurrection Bay, the town of Seward and surrounding mountains and glaciers. At one point there was a small aircraft circling overhead as we ascended. The trail starts out in the heavy forested canopy before opening up to incredible views below. Make noise on the trail because there are bear here. It's hard to believe that the runners have completed the Mt. Marathon race in less than 1 hour. It took us about 4 hours and we were moving along nicely. I suggest layered clothing, water and bug dope.

Phenomenal views. Kinda hard to trail run all the way to the top on account of the elevation gain...but one can hurry. Beautiful clear morning with gorgeous unparalleled views. Only fell twice on the way back down and I took the hiking trail. A little rough in places and grown over. Totally Alaska. Don't miss it.

This is an awesome trail . Beautiful views , waterfalls , and lush rainforest . We started north of Monroe st entrance , took 3 hours . Watch the shale on top , on your decent .

Went up about half or two-thirds of the way and stopped a "the Bowl" for a rest and lunch beautiful on Seward-!view side and gorgeous when we got to the bowl. The trail crossed some small snow fields including where the trail went over the stream and you're literally walking on thin ice.

It was tough especially the rocky part but the view was gorgeous.

It was tough especially the rocky part but the view was gorgeous.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

This terrain was challenging, but with the view!

Thursday, October 06, 2016

The first mile is nothing special, but once you reach the bowl behind Mt. Marathon itself you'll have great views of Seward and the Kenai Fjords.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Awesome hike. Took about four hours. Ive hiked it on cloudy & clear days, and I like the clouds better. It brought out the green in the bay's waters & didn't overexpose any of the pics. Done 4x & will do again

Monday, September 12, 2016

totally worth it! one of the best hikes ive ever been on. i went with some great friends and it was raining and foggy as hell but un unbelievabley gorgeous! illl add a few pics;)

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Boy this is tough, but such a great experience. The people who race this are amazing.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Enjoyed our first hike in Alaska! A little muddy for the first half, but perfect for the last half up to Race Point. Beautiful views and not too hard of a hike.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016