Mount Juneau

Mount Juneau is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

This trail is not for the weak minded or anyone not ready for miles of steep climbing on 1-2 feet width of trail that on one side is a cliff and the other is a drop right into trees. Definitely plan this trail out when there is no rain in the forecast since most of the trail is made up of loose rocks. I would plan other hikes to get warmed up and used to heights before attempting this. We planned this after four days of hiking other trails and I am glad we didn’t do this one first. We are very active couple and we completed this in 4.5 hours. We took plenty of water and a meal to get us through this. Also bring mole skin just in case your feet blister and definitely wear bug spray if it’s a hot and clear day. The flies were horrible for most of the climb and it became almost unbearable at the end. Also bring some sunblock for the second part of the trail which is completely open. The view at the top is worth it so bring a blanket and enjoy a well deserved break.

One of my favorite hikes, I try to head up at least 5 times a summer. once at top it's one of the most beautiful views.

Throwing the well deserved five stars because I came back to hike in the sunshine this time! The amount of flies that surround you most the hike are obnoxious, so I highly advise bug spray but prepare to be annoyed when you’re in the tree line and brush. The views were breathtaking and maybe if I go up a third time I’ll check out the natural pools at the summit. Most the hike is open, so I also advise you to bring sunblock.

Local favorite for a reason! If you are not physically active daily then it's a tough hike but the trail is very clear, well maintained, a d heavily trafficked so an excellent trail to get in better shape. If you are questioning whether or not to try for the summit see how you do in the first mile up Perseverance. If that section is difficult, once you turn on to Mt Juneau it gets much harder. You can always enjoy a much easier and still very beautiful hike to Gold Creek. That being said, the summit is very rewarding and worth planning on hanging out for an hour or more. also worth hiking further down the ridge. I only go on Sunny days as the trail can be muddy and slick when rainy and it's a narrow trail. Would not recommend for people with heights issues! Mt Roberts Trail is less exposed and does not have the dramatic drops so probably much easier to start with and an easier hike up.

Only throwing a 4-Star because we hiked in the rain and the wind at the summit felt like it was going to blow us away! Highly advise to not hike in the pouring down rain (who in their right mind would right?!), but boy was it an adventure! If you do hike in the rain, bring extra clothes. My friend wore Nikes and had a few slips going down because it’s pretty muddy, but definitely hiking boots would be perfect. There is a shelter area at the summit by the old tram cables, it’s not amazing but helps out a lot to keep dry and refuel on snacks. I’d love to do this hike again, but on a much nicer day! A couple great spots to view downtown Juneau too!

Got an early start to beat the heat (high of 80F anticipated today!)
Amazing views as the sun created the peaks.
Spectacular view all around from the top!

This is one of my favorite hikes,I do like to hike it as much as I possibly can.
The top is so amazing, great view of the valley. In all directions, you can see everything on nice days!

Thursday, August 03, 2017