Learn more

Mount Healy Overlook Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Denali National Park, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 1,666 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (160)
Recordings (190)
Completed (669)
Darsey Bartling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 14 2020
HikingBugs

Wow! What a hike! Definitely a climb. The park rates it as strenuous, AllTrails rates it moderate. I would say it is in between. Mosquitoes are pretty thick in shaded areas, so definitely bring bug spray. My best advice besides bugspray is to keep going once the maintained trail ends at the overlook. You get to hike along the ridge & that was our favorite part of the hike. Made the 1,700 foot hike worth it. You feel like you are in the Lord of the Rings walking through Middle Earth. Also, I brought my hiking poles and was very thankful I had them.

Annie Kleckner-Thiele
HikingRocky

I was a little nervous hiking this with my parents (60+), but they had no problem making it to the top! We took our time and rested at the view points along the way- definitely pack a light daypack. If you have poles, I would recommend bringing them along. However, you can do just fine without them. At the top, there are spectacular views. Although it was hot on the way up, would recommend bringing long sleeves for the top- it's chilly with the wind. We would hike this trail over and over again if we could!

Sierra Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
Hiking

Beautiful! Steady incline the whole way up. Very windy at the top.

Elliot Huff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

A steady incline with great views along the way! Recommend this if you want a great view. The trail continues after the peak of Mt. Healy, going to other peaks that have even better views. Hard hike but if you take it steady it’s worth it for sure!

dayus raynolds
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
HikingGreat!

This was my first hike in Alaska and the further up I went, the dreamier the landscape. I wasn't expecting to walk along the ridge of a mountain. I felt as if I were a hobbit wandering through Middle Earth. Once you get to the top of this hike and see the hiking path continue winding onward, it's hard to stop. It was a humbling experience.

Katelyn Chevalier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
Hiking

If you’re visiting Denali/Healy Alaska, and are even just a moderate hiker - HIKE THIS TRAIL! The views from the lookout make you feel like you’re standing in an oil painting. Scenic is an understatement. It’s a solid moderate-challenging hike at times, but toward the top there is a lot of switchbacks which lessen the effects of how steep it is. Fun hike! Highly recommend!

Gabby Quintero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 17 2020
HikingRocky

Get ready for some elevation gain! The weather was a bit cold at the top. The way up is warm because you’re working. Lots of rocky steps. But the views at the top were absolutely beautiful. Ps no dogs supposed to be on the trail!

Chance Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 11 2020
HikingMuddySnow

Fantastic trail! Took about 3 hours up and 1 hour down. Ventured a mile or so past the actual trail end onto higher peaks. The views are incredible. No one up there but us. Love it when no one is in the trail! Patches of ice here and there. Moose encounter. Lynx encounter. This one says moderate and I’d say this could be hard for most. You’ve got to do this trail! This trail has been blessed.

AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 20 2020
HikingSnow

I went up 20 Jan 2020 for a quick hike. MLK was free day in the park!! Beautiful trail and great views! The trail is snow packed all the way up and I made it with just standard hiking boots with no issues. I did use Yak Tracks on the way down and would suggest some sort of micro-spikes for the steep sections. My Garmin Instinct clocked an 800' elevation gain so i'm not sure if the main description is correct or my watch but the hike didn't seem too bad though it is obviously steep in spots, I do find the 1600' may be an exaggeration. All in all a great day out and helped to subdue the cabin fever!!

Sam Wat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Nov 18 2019
Hiking

Did this hike atleast 4 times this past spring and summer. It’s is beautiful! Just short enough for a quick hike, but leads to amazing views. Most times it is rainy at the top but you can usually still see (just check the weather). As I would say this is very moderate- it took my husband and I about an hour and 45 minutes to do. However, if you are not in hiking shape and able to handle inclines quickly- expect around 3 hours or more. I have brought guests who are not used to Alaska Hiking and it took almost 4 in some instances!

Blair C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 14 2019
HikingIcyRockySnow

At first I was a little nervous to try to conquer this trail with it covered in snow, but it’s a very well marked trail and was very easy to follow, even in the snow. The views are some of the best I’ve seen here in Alaska. I could even see Denali way off in the distance! I used snowshoes most of the way up, switched to microspikes near the top as the path gets more narrow and requires more precision, and then came down in microspikes as well. It took just over 3 hours with stopping along the way and taking about a 20 minute break up at the top. Overall, it was one of the best hikes I’ve done!

Terry Hulsey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 14 2019
HikingSnow

Deep ❄️ but well packed. Couldn’t make it to the end due to snow depth. Beautiful views with over a foot of snow ❄️. Only a few icy spots. It took me 4.5 hours round trip, but i’m an out of shape 67 year old, took a few rest stops.

Josh Helmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 02 2019

Amazing views. Beautiful hike

Wyatt Vucic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 20 2019
Hiking

Obviously this is past tourist season, therefore I thoroughly enjoyed my hike. It has its ups and downs ;), but seriously it’s a nice quick route if you’re looking for something short, but want to feel accomplished. I ended up continuing past the peak for a bit, which I would’ve continued to do so to reach high altitudes and get a solid 14-15 miles however the weather was not cooperating, expectingly due to the time of year. I took this route back down and added on with a couple of the quicker/shorter routes at the base to continue the experience. I know I was long winded but overall I enjoyed the trail for a quick after work hike. Not sure if if I would enjoy this in high season however as a full disclosure. Views are great - even when the fog rolled in!

View Wyatt's Recording
Virginia Dugas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 14 2019
Hiking

Awesome trail and beautiful views!

View Virginia's Recording
Cj Franco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 07 2019
Hiking

Great easy hike. Uphill but fully maintained trail.

Sarah Fletcher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

Far more difficult than I was expecting but what a great view!

View Sarah's Recording
Crystal I.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 31 2019
Hiking

Awesome hike! I did the hike carrying my 3 year old on my back in a carrier, husband and 6 year old son. My husband had to carry the 6 year old for about 20 minutes on the way up on his back in a carrier, but after some food and a short rest, our son was able to make it all the way to the top and back down on his won. Bring jackets, hats and gloves. When you get up to the top it was very cold and windy. I'm glad we had all those otherwise, it would have been a very brief stop at the top before going back down.

Lisa Miner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 30 2019
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes!! The view is amazing. Well groomed trail, lots of switch backs near the top. The trail continues up to Mt Healy peak. A must do when you visit Denali National Park.

Julianne Tunnelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 19 2019
Hiking

This trail was rough only because I had crap shoes and got blisters immediately. That said, it's gorgeous and well worth the effort. The view is dope.

Paul Gmür
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 16 2019
Hiking

Sehr schöne Tour. Super Aussicht vom Overlook.

Breshen Whitson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 11 2019
Hiking

Great views, well worth the climb! Go a little further up the ridge line for a completely different view and even less crowd. Temps were perfect and got in and out between rain spots so bugs were minimal.

Michelle Rose
Hiking

Miles of switchbacks! After this hike, I can honestly say I love switchbacks! What a beautiful trail! It's not an easy climb, but every switchback rewarded me with a new, breathtaking sight to see. Recommend hiking poles, especially if you're planning to go beyond the end of the maintained trail (and please do! it's so much fun beyond that!). I went through about 60 ounces of water on my trip to the summit of Mount Healy, in case that helps anyone plan for water. I should have had more to drink but the spectacular scenery distracted me. Go early to avoid loud crowds. This is a popular trail. I set out at 8:30 am and saw only two couples on my way out, but dozens of people on my way back in.

Matthew Fry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 10 2019
Hiking

Great day hike, definitely try and hit it on a clear day if possible for maximum view from the overlook. Once you reach the overlook at the top it is the end of the “maintained trail” but the trail continues to the summit and it is a clear trail. It’s a little strenuous at times but no worries if you take it slow. The summit is worth the extra work

Rachel Skipworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 05 2019
Hiking

I would give this a moderate-hard rating. We hiked in down-pouring rain yesterday, which added to the difficulty. Mostly an upward trek, but so worth the reward. Trail is in excellent condition, lightly trafficked, best we could tell. Recommend going on a high-visibility day if possible. Our views were hindered by fog, clouds, and rain. But still beautiful.

Blake Soblesky
Hiking

Pretty moderate trail. Starts with easy climb and gets steeper the further up you go. Safe and clearly marked. It was raining so didn’t see the view but you can see almost 360 degrees so I’m sure it would spectacular.

John Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 31 2019
HikingRocky

We hiked this with a group ranging from 10 to 75 years of age. Apart from some flat ground leaving the visitors center, the hike was pretty much an up and down. There are some great views of the valley most of the way up. The summit was definitely worth the climb. The trail narrows and has some loose stones near the top. We didn’t see Denali, but weren’t sure we would given the clouds. It also seemed like you might have to hike past the maintained portion of the trail to get a glimpse on a clearer day. Fun hike.