Mount Eklutna via Peters Creek Valley Trail

Mount Eklutna via Peters Creek Valley Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August.

great hike with some good views

Great hike! The last half, after you pop out of the vegetation offers some amazing views.

Rigorous hike, more challenging than I expected. The first half is level, and unremarkable, nice wooded setting. Turning onto the "Mount Eklutna Trail" is where the altitude climb begins, and it gets quite steep for a "moderate" hike. Views from the top were beautiful. Enjoyed seeing some tundra wildflowers, a little snow, and on the way down just below the tree line saw 2 black bears on the trail!

definitely a hard hike for somebody overweight aka me but I made it up there.... good times

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Hiked 12/12/16. Main trail was in great shape with lots of traffic from hikers and sleds but the trail head going up Eklutna mountain had quite a bit of snow and only one set of tracks. Made it to the top and decided to hike the ridgeline towards Bear Mt and come down that trail cut off. It was in significantly better shape. Great views up top!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Scored a beautiful day between rainy days. Easy hike except the very last bit up the mountain. But if a hiking greenhorn like me can make it, anyone can.

Friday, July 29, 2016

One of my favorites! Hiked on 7/26 and there was a lot of blueberries to be picked. Once you get over the brush it is very steep to get to the peak. Well worth the view and a great work out! Highly recommend.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

A great option instead of out and back is head south down trail after coming back down from Mt Eklutna. It connects to main trail. No water for pups at elevation.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Nice steep hike with beautiful wildflowers along the way and pretty alpine walk along the ridge line. We had a great birds-eye view of Camp Gorsuch Boy Scout camp on Mirror Lake. We were short of time and didn't complete the entire trail, but the short journey was s great way to spend the Sunday afternoon.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Great

Saturday, August 15, 2015

One of the best views of the glen hwy and valley.
But the hike is strenuous

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Beautiful views of the Knik Arm, surrounding Chugach mountains, and Talkeetna Range to the north.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

really good uphill hike. One of my favorites. Only wish I had more time to explore the top and surrounding area.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My fiancé and I did decided to go take a walk/hike. The view was just amazing, but at first it was muddy but after a while it was partly gone. It was only during the beginning.

Monday, April 21, 2014

It was a beautiful day, so my DH and I decided to hike, the hill (Bear Mountain) behind our house, I had hiked it once a few years ago, but the fog and rain came in at the top so didn't get to see the views like we did on Saturday.
It's pretty much uphill the whole hike, still a lot of ice, with snow melting which makes it muddy which makes it slippery. I had my katoolas on and hiking poles for the hike back down.
We saw a Ptarmigan (white), and a yellow plane did a few fly byes.
I might hike it again on Monday with some girl friends before it gets to slippery.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Nice hike with good elevation gain and breathtaking views atop Bear Mountain. Some steep sections but a somewhat well maintained trail and usually a few people on the trail if you happen to miss the turn off of the first trail (Peters Creek Valley Trail I think is the main trail from the trailhead?)

Friday, April 05, 2013

fairly steep hike up and can be slippery after a rain event, even a little one. The view is great.

3/26/2017
Amazing hike, it can be kind of rough at times in the snow. There are some rather steep sections towards the top section of the hike. Absolutely beautiful views especially at the top. Enjoy

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

4/6/14 lots of mud, snow, and ice. Worth every step to the top. Was able to watch the sun set.

5/6; Black bear sighting to the right of Mount Eklutna summit. Was snowing at the top, some trail still under considerable snow at the top (had to do some post-holing) but still doable. Trail was pretty muddy from Bear Point to the bottom but it was possible to stay just off the main path.
Beautiful views and mostly quiet, loved that it was a loop. Will do again in summer.