Mount Baldy Trail

Mount Baldy Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Eagle River, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Once above the plant growth, it starts to climb moderately through somewhat rocky terrain. From the top, one can see a good view of Eagle River Valley and the surrounding mountains.

A little sloppy in some spots and slick in others. Poles and traction helped. Went down the back side as we were concerned about slipping going back down the front side. Snow is deep on the backside but manageable. Overall a good hike.

avoid the steep side when it's raining, mud city. lots of slipping

Gets a bit steep at the end which can be difficult without good traction as there is still deep snow in some areas. Take the back side down the mountain (winds down towards the left side) if you’re worried about sliding down the front!

The steep trail still has areas on it this time of year where you will have to hike through snow and wet mud. Hiking poles are extremely helpful.

this trail is heavily used; two sides: hard/ steep or a moderate incline.
muddy in early spring!
bring a light jacket for the windy condition at the top.

Took the backside trail up to the top, that side is in much better condition right now. Took the frontside trail still has snow mixed with lots of mud, definitely need yaktraks/crampons. As luck would have it, there’s a stray pair on the top somewhere, lost mine on the way down! Poles were also helpful.

Lots of fun and beautiful scenery! Cleats necessary this time of the year.

Breathtaking views. Couldn't have enjoyed this hike more.

We were visiting from Hawaii and did this hike on a clear day and the views were absolutely beautiful!

I took the hard way up on the right. Kind of hard to find the trail, so I went straight up most of it - rather difficult. Coming down the other way through the valley was much easier! Awesome views made it totally worth it! If you go left through the red gate from the trailhead, it would be a somewhat easy hike.

Always love trail. Definitely one of my favorites. Really good for solo hiking. There are usually a lot of people.

Great views! Very steep up and down, more than moderate

loved it

Having never done this trail before, my friend and I were a bit confused by all the unmarked trail turn offs and weren't positive on which ones led to the top. But once we figured it out, it was a great hike. Quite the workout for anyone not used to hiking (or out of shape like us) but perfect for getting your heart rate up for a few hours. The views made it well worth it. Swarms of annoying bugs at the very top though.

steep going uo, steep coming down. Good trail to get your heart pumping and soectacular views from the peak.

some clouds when we started out but it cleared up by mid mountain ... great views of the city, air base, and denali

Lawdy! We hiked this trail on June 21st 2017@10:00pm while on a mission trip in Eagle River Alaska. This trail was 'moderate' to say the least (I about died LOL). My first hiking experience and first time in Alaska. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. Definitely looking forward to going back and hiking it again now that I have a few more hikes under my belt and in a little better shape :-)

I've done it twice. I'd do it again. Beautiful view the whole way up. It was very challenging my first time, but definitely worth it once I made it to the top! (Not an experienced hiker, so may not be as much of a challenge for everyone else.)

Hiked this yesterday with my wife and oldest daughter. We loved the views and reaching the top was a great reward! I'd love to come back and hike the trail again.

Attempted this hike last weekend. Was super cloudy out so there was no view at all. Trail to the left from the parking lot starts off easy and has a gradual rise. The closer to the peak we got the steeper the climb became. I had to rest more and more. Got to the top and the clouds were coming in more and more. Decided to head back to the car. By the time we got to the parking lot the clouds were starting to break apart and we could see Eagle River. Will try again hopefully soon.

Hiked today. Started off going up the trail to the right. We made it was steep at some points so not really for beginners. Coming down took the other trail which is more gradual and easier walking. Amazing views and a good hike.

The views on Alaska trails just can't be beat. The trail itself was just fine going up - coming back down was a little tricky for beginner hikers and those of us used to flatter trails. It was worth the effort!

Short, sweet and steep. What I like about this trail is the opportunities it opens once you're at the top. You can run or hike for hours on those saddles... The bugs were a bit of a nuisance at the top, take bug spray if you're planning to stop for a snack. You're fine if you're moving.

We loved this hike! We actually went up the wrong trail but it was fun and challenging. My four year old made it relatively easy (minor complaining but nothing major). I DO NOT recommend going down the back trail from the top unless you have a very large caliber gun. We never actually ran into a bear but tracks and scat were everywhere. Good luck and hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Favorite after-work hike. Love the views from my backyard!

Took the saddle route. Had a baby in a back pack and made it to the top. Was a nice hike with a good amount of challenge.

Free parking. Moderate foot traffic. Rewarding views.

great hike was able to do with child strap to my chest

great hike! beautiful views