McHugh Peak

McHugh Peak is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A great ridge walk, but can get cold and windy.

Did the entire trail today in sunny weather. Great scenery. A nice ride walk but a few ups and downs along the way. View from McHugh Peak was outstanding. It took us about 4 hours with a couple of stops for snacks.

A nice ridge walk once you gain the elevation. As others have said, it can be a bit windy. Nothing extreme today but it's good to bring your warm hat and light gloves.

climbing up from Bear valley side was near perfect conditions. dry all the way up. the ridge lines had some snow but nothing that a pair of sneakers couldn't get through.

One of my favorite hikes but the wind can turn cold. I always wish i had a dog or hiking buddy as i came across some fairly fresh scat a couple of days ago.

We went up the backside from bear valley, and it was absolutely stunning. We all had ice spikes on our shoes which made it easier to climb, definitely wouldn’t have been able to if we didn’t have them with all the ice and snow.
Fun to slide down on the way back!

Hiked in early October and was not prepared for the snow but did fine. The ridge views and water view were top notch, especially with the snow. Also saw some paragliders at Flattop. I took about 3 hours to get close to the peak, stopped short, and then an hour to get back to the parking lot; I turned around maybe half a mile from the end/actual peak since it was getting dark and colder.

Part of the assent made me wish I had crampons, but was manageable. While walking the ridge, at times, I wish I had snow boots+pants or snowshoes. Great hike, despite my poor preparation.

Weather got really bad at the top so couldn't see anything. I'll have to do it again on a sunny day.

Monday, July 10, 2017

I love ridgeline hikes so this was a great time for me. Great views of Cook Inlet and into Chugach; Ptarmigan Peak and the Suicide Peaks are apparent and begging for attention across Rabbit Creek. This hike is great when the clouds are brushing the mountains.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great view of the highway and some nice, rocky terrain that was less boring than the usual. Interesting to see the remains of past wildfires as well.

Thursday, May 11, 2017