McHugh Peak

McHugh Peak is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Basher, Alaska that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A great ridge walk, but can get cold and windy.

Hiked in early October and was not prepared for the snow but did fine. The ridge views and water view were top notch, especially with the snow. Also saw some paragliders at Flattop. I took about 3 hours to get close to the peak, stopped short, and then an hour to get back to the parking lot; I turned around maybe half a mile from the end/actual peak since it was getting dark and colder.

Part of the assent made me wish I had crampons, but was manageable. While walking the ridge, at times, I wish I had snow boots+pants or snowshoes. Great hike, despite my poor preparation.

Weather got really bad at the top so couldn't see anything. I'll have to do it again on a sunny day.

I love ridgeline hikes so this was a great time for me. Great views of Cook Inlet and into Chugach; Ptarmigan Peak and the Suicide Peaks are apparent and begging for attention across Rabbit Creek. This hike is great when the clouds are brushing the mountains.

Great view of the highway and some nice, rocky terrain that was less boring than the usual. Interesting to see the remains of past wildfires as well.

fun and convenient.. if you get a parking spot