For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Matanuska Peak Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.9 mi Elevation gain 5,580 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (95)
Recordings (69)
Completed (153)
Christina Colvin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Challenging hike but so beautiful!! Clouds came in at the top, which meant no views, but it was still worth it! Small note - we took the trail to the left and ended up going 7 miles to the top according to all our gps/watches. It read “Matanuska Peak Trail” so not sure how we are the only ones that missed the fact that the trail going straight is 1.5 miles shorter! Took us 4.5 hours to the top. We took the other trail on the way back to save time...a more overgrown trail but worth it to save the legs!

Rod Worl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

My wife and I hiked this on our 25th Anniversary! Crazy scary view from the top. We thought this would be easier than Pioneer Peak which has about 1,000 foot higher elevation gain but it wasn't easier. It was that last half mile or more of very steep boulder field climbing took us about an hour. We were climbing with hand and feet at this point. The boulder field was dangerous because easy to stray off the trail. The biggest hint of staying on trail is look for the boulders with the black lichen worn off. There are lots of loose big boulders that could easily cause serious injuries. We kept distance between us in case one of us caused a small boulder avalanche. We almost turned around as we are not young at 61 and 52 years old. We did make it to the top 3 hours 35 minutes and round trip 6 hours 25 minutes. If you go by the footage marker near the top this was closer to 5.5 mile trip to the top and 11 mile round trip. So not sure what is the correct distance. We both agreed this was our hardest hike thus far but we loved it!

Mae Grundman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingNo shadeScramble

Hiked yesterday Matanuska Peak, very steep and very difficult. One of the toughest I hiked very intense. Very easy the 4 miles and then a killer 1 mile to go on the peak. Lot of boulders...but at the end it’s all worth it. We don’t get see much view because it’s too cloudy but above the clouds are pretty awesome. I fucking love it out here 7/18/20 10miles 5,580 feet

Gabriel Holohan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Did this solo yesterday and it absolutely destroyed me. Beautiful views up top but it’s quite the scramble to reach the peak. Took around 8-9 hours. Great hike but it is definitely a workout I’m surprised my legs didn’t give out towards the end lol

Ethan Kuzina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

The trail started fairly steep and after the first mile and a half gradually leveled out further back in the valley. Above tree line the views are great and the trail is easy going. About a mile before the top, the trail transforms into a semi-switch back ascent. The climb feels very long. The trail eventually disappears and large boulders are the new trail. We found that the top had lots of black bugs and decided to sit sub-summit. The views were great, and the legs were dead by the top, which made for a long venture back to the parking lot.

Eric Fjelstad
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Running

I echo earlier reports on safety. This is a GREAT climb but the last 1/3 mile mile can be dangerous. I wouldn’t do it alone unless you are really prepared to spend a night on the mountain. It’s remote and you can’t expect to see anyone. Have all the safety gear including a Sat device. I had 70 degrees going up. Just beautiful. But the weather turned quickly nearly the top. Rain. Temps probably somewhere in the 40s. The much-mentioned boulders with black lichens were fine coming up but treacherous coming down. I had 2 minor falls, and at one point my ankle slipped and got a super bruise between 2 rocks. I was prepared for all of this, having been up it before. I had lots of gear. But still, I’m not sure I’d do it again alone when wet or socked in. Better plan would be to stop short of the boulder field 1/3 mile from top.

Jennette Cooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020

Just finished climbing my way up to the peak. I was about a half mile shy of the actual peak because the fog was too thick to see anything up ahead. Wish I could have seen the views down below. I did see a ptarmagin with 5 chicks on my way down. Definitely a hike I'd want to do again!

Elizabeth Moreno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingRocky
View Elizabeth's Recording
Joy Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2020
Muddy

Hiked up Matanuska and cut over to Lazy Mountain. Pouring rain but still a blast!

Serena MaryJean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Really fun hike! Easy first 4 miles and then a killer last mile of ascent. Beautiful view at the top, worth the hike. Great conditions no mud or snow. Beautiful hike! I would recommend staying hydrated if it’s sunny.

Matt Kilburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Completed 5/28/20. Long and strenuous especially the last mile but beautiful views. Trail in good condition. Some minor snow crossings towards the base of the mountain and through the small ravines but no spikes needed

View Matt's Recording
Justcie Rowland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Great hike up the valley until you go the base just a little past the bench. Once shooting for the summit lots of boulders and steep elevation. The summit had the flag pole nicely secured from a previous hiker a few weeks earlier. The flag had blown down but I had some tough string in my med bag and we got it fixed up nicely. Best way to celebrate Memorial Day.

View Justcie 's Recording
Kevin Rangel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingBlowdown
View Kevin 's Recording
Serg Bogdanov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockySnow
View Serg's Recording
adonis Velissariou
HikingMuddyRockySnow
View adonis's Recording
Dan Mielke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

This was an awesome day for a hike. Not too windy and nice and sunny. I could even sit at the top without getting chilled in a T-shirt.

View Dan's Recording