Learn more

Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.6 mi Elevation gain 141 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Rock climbing Walking Bird watching Views Wild flowers Wildlife Muddy Rocky Snow Private property Fee
Description
Waypoints (0)

Please note: This trail is paid access only. It is on private land and the owner changes $30 per person to pass through the gate.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (68)
Photos (54)
Recordings (37)
Completed (173)
Sean Poynter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Sean's Recording
Patrick Whitmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
View Patrick's Recording
Brian Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
FeePrivate property

Paid for a self guided tour. Saw some people on a guided tour over a tiny ice hill to get a good view of the glacier. I waited for them to leave then tried to go myself. An employee that was standing there for hours (probably to specifically watch people) said I couldnt go that far unless I was with the tour guides. It was seriously a hill no more then 10 feet tall. I had on microspikes and she said "you need to have proof you are experienced with climbing glaciers" "we are liable for your safety". Actually; you guys made me sign a form saying that you WERENT liable for any injuries, and that I cant sue you, etc. I wasnt even trying to go miles deep over the glacier like I would have, just to get a better view that others got to see. Its not really a "self guided" tour if that's the shit I got to deal with. i waited for her to go back with the other tour guides but she just stood there staring at me for more than an hour, i went out of my way to the right side of the glacier to eat my lunch and get a view away from all humans. She seriously ruined the great vibe and free feeling you have while hiking in Alaska. If I pay 30 dollars to see something the earth created I should be able to explore it as i please. The lady that sold me the ticket at the register was even bragging about being around 5 miles deep into the glacier and how awesome it is. Beautiful glacier, just felt like I was highly cheated out of an amazing experience. 3 stars for the beauty of the glacier or I'd give it 0 stars.

Michael de Maar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingFeeIcyMuddyScramble

There was indeed a $30 fee per an adult and $10 bucks a child for the self guided tour, but it was worth it. Walking on a glacier bottom and getting that close was a very unique and interesting experience. Seeing the ice melt right below our feet was a great teaching moment for our two boys about the importance of protecting our environment and reducing our carbon foot-print.

Rachel Truett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
HikingFeeIcyNo shadePrivate propertyRockyWashed out

Oh my goodness! Worth the money. Breathtakingly awesome! A little harrowing at times thinking parts could quickly calve. Large wide cracks and not easily marked trail.

Kemal Dilsiz
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 16, 2020
HikingPrivate property

the owners put no effort into this trail or guided tour. it is basically a monopoly for one of the glaciers and they know that they don't have to do much to get money from tourists. the lady at the counter was also not knowledgeable at all, making us not wanting to do the tour. do at your own risk.

Keri Mendler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 29, 2019
IcyNo shadePrivate property

We really had a great time walking this. I would recommend bringing crampons as the ice is very slick but definitely worth it all. We went early in the day in early October and had the place to ourselves. Others started showing up as we were leaving.

Stacy Bosarge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2019
Hiking

I was raised in Alaska and had never hiked onto the glacier. I came back to visit and it was on my bucket list to do. It is worth the money and soooo beautiful. everyone should do it at least once, esp tourists. Unguided hike is June through September I believe, otherwise you have to have a guided tour which is $100. Summer hike is $25 for Alaskan residents and $30 for out of state tourists..... As far as the trail, it's a little hard to navigate. When you get to the Y and have that option to go either left or right, go right. The trail is easier.

Matthew Rails
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2019
HikingPrivate propertySnow
Nathan Wubishet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2019
HikingPrivate property

Pretty cool to walk along the glacier but if you can afford it I would rent the equipment and go with a guide. Even with great hiking boots it’s really slippery and I wish I had seen the view from the top.

Brad Wine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
HikingMuddy

Super easy and flat trail. A bit muddy at first by the parking lot and quite the tourist trap at 25 bucks just to get admission. But it’s pretty neat to stand on the glacier. Very beautiful scenery.

Guillaume Chaussinand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScrambleSnow
View Guillaume's Recording
Eric Schoffstall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2019
HikingMuddyNo shade
Juli M. K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2019
Private property