Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

private property

Please note: This trail is paid access only. It is on private land and the owner changes $30 per person to pass through the gate.

we just did unguided option - that's about 1 mile in & out. Great experience to be and feel glacier. Great views and sound of melted water beneath the glacier is amazing.

$30 seems expensive for a hike however, understandable as this is privately own. i do recommend guided tour ($100) if time permits.

Booked this through Adventurous Wino’s and had an excellent time. Our guide was Allison, she was very informative and fun. The trail is moderate, my cousin and mother in law had no problems and they both have knee and hip problems. Loved this and would absolutely do it again.

It was an interesting experience to hike on a glacier, but not quite as thrilling as I had expected from my research. The trail and glacier were fairly well populated, so it didn’t necessarily have a really isolated, backcountry feel like many hikes do. If you have the time (and money) while in the area, it’s an interesting stop, but I wouldn’t call it a must-do Alaska experience.

You can only do self-guided tours in the summer time, I think June-September. Otherwise, you'll need a guide and the cost is $25-30 if you're an Alaskan resident. I was told tour times are at 11am and 2pm, so call ahead of time if you want the tour. Did this with guide a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful. Took us through some caves and was very informative but she didn't talk our ears off. They will provide you with crampons if needed. Overall it's just beautiful, the different colors of the glacier are amazing!

Scott Evans where did you rent crampons and how much were they. We are planning to go next month. My wife is wary about not getting a guide. I am not sure it makes sense to spend an extra $200 for a guide. Anyone have thoughts here?

Don't use the guid service, rent your own crampons and explore!

WARNING!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC TRAIL. YOU MUST PAY $30 per person to get close to the ice.

Well worth the trip,we explored for a while and enjoyed it very much!

Really enjoyed this place. I roamed around for four hours in the rain and it was worth it :)

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Amazing view. Great experience.

Monday, August 07, 2017

it's a nice way to spend a few hours. not necessarily a trail since you can wander all over the glacier depending on your comfortability and fitness but awesome none the less. entrance fees to get in, guide if you want one and camping if interested. nice and warm on the glacier in August

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Another beautiful site in Alaska ;). Did this one in the winter. Will try again in the summer.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Amazing place. love the natural blue in the ice.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

First Glacier we had seen and it was beautiful. Glad we decided to check it out. Unfortunately you do have to pay a fee to drive to the trail head which took away from the wildness of the experience.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Wasn't quite what I expected, but was a good time nonetheless.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

If you walk out there by yourself or get a guide, you will not regret it!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Trail is only available for guided tours during winter months. Call ahead.

Friday, September 30, 2016

We had no experience ice hiking or climbing, so we hiked the Matanuska Glacier with Nova Glacier Guides - they supplied crampons, ice axes, mountaineering boots and an awesome guide. Although the glacier is public park land, access to the face is through private property. They charge a fee, but also provide a nicely maintained road down to the access area and a floating boardwalk across the thick mud. It only takes a short while to get accustomed to walking on crampons and soon you feel as sure footed as on any trail, maybe more so. There's no wildlife on the glacier, but just seeing the ponds and rivers on the surface of the glacier, the fissures, it's pretty incredible and not to be missed if you have a chance. Just 2 or 2.5 hrs east of Anchorage. If I were to do it again, I'd pay more to take as long a hike as Nova would be willing to do, awesome experience.

Monday, August 07, 2017