Lost Lake Trail

Lost Lake Trail is a 13.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Seward, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

I bikes this trail for the first time on 9/17 and it was by far the most challenging and technical trail I've done yet.

The trail was too steep and rocky to bike so I had to push my bike up half of the trail. Coming down there are numerous large steep drops on the trail. The vast majority of the trail is speckled with large wet and muddy rocks and roots; which are more akin to small logs. I had a ton of fun zipping down this trail and since it was my first time on it I'm shocked I did not crash.

If you are an inexperienced rider please wear a helmet and use extreme caution, or you will crash going downhill.

Beginning of the Trail is pretty average, but once you get up above the treeline the views are amazing. At the beginning of the trail you can choose the winter trail or summer trail.

Winter Trail climbs quickly to the ridge line, and offers amazing views of Resurrection Bay. It is extremely muddy. Not difficult except for mud.

Summer trail climbs slowly to the top, seemed better maintained, and was easier.

They join up about 3.5 miles in, so you can do one going up and the other coming back.

Flies and mosquitos on the trail can be pretty rough, so I would bring insect repellent. All in all, great trail with incredible views of multiple glaciers and several lakes.

Sunday, September 04, 2016