Lost Lake Trail

Lost Lake Trail is a 13.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Seward, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did it on June 3rd. Awesome hike and views but only did the first 5 miles because the mountain was still fully snow covered and snow shoes were needed.

Loved this trail. Hiked it a couple years ago on 4th of July weekend. A bit steep and slippery for the first mile or so but flattened out some after that for the majority of the hike. It alternates between a couple steeper climbs and slow steady climbs at the summit and the slopes down to the lake. The summit of the trail is the high point in a valley with amazing peaks surrounding the entire lake. The views to the north were cloudy as there was a rainstorm that way but to the south, it was clear and blue and amazing. You could see all the way out to the ocean in Seward. It was quite crowded as it was a holiday weekend but very few people were camped. Most go up and down or up Lost Lake and take Primrose Trail down. I went up and down Lost Lake. I had a blast hiking the trail. Definitely take food, water, and an emergency shelter but you don’t really need that much gear. A trekking pole was useful but not necessary. I looked like a fool hiking with my full pack. I was testing gear for my thru hike of the PCT. Good trail to do it on. Long enough to get a good days work out of it but short enough that you could come right down if you needed to leave or had gear failure. I started up at noon and got to the lake around 7. Hiked a leisurely pace and stopped a lot to take pictures.

I did the Summer trail up and back, even though it's winter, because they say that one is a little bit shorter, sounds good to me, was going to come back the winter trail but I couldn't see anything with all the snow on the ground and didn't want to get lost like I did last year on another trail, so I played it safe an went back on the same one. Plus there wasn't another soul who did the trail that day even though it was a Saturday except for some people who did the Summer trail up and looked like they went to the cabin. So, you start out this trail in the beautiful green mossy forest right by a stream the whole way, with a water fall here and there. Looks like people like to walk their bikes up and ride them back down because there were a bunch of tire marks in there. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it to me but to each their own. Before too long, the trees mostly go away and you're walking along kind of a brownsih muddy hill side, although there are two clumps of trees as you go that would make great campsites, even better if they weren't so close to the trail though. Once you're done with that 2 miles or so, you're in kind of a valley area that is somewhat steep as you get closer and closer to the lost lake. This part is probably the prettiest when it isn't extremely cloudy, cold and foggy with very deep snow like it was for me, deep snow without any foot prints or anything. You'll eventually get to the lost lake , looks really really big and probably has some good fishing in there too. If it weren't around 15 degrees up there with super deep snow I might have walked all the way over to it, but I just got to where I could see it and then turned back on account of the conditions, my legs were killing me from walking through that deep snow. Luckily I was able to follow my footprints back, to see some kind of a canine animal or something had also used my footprints to make their walking less strenuous, there were these paw prints all over mine. Never did find him. So, this trail is probably great in the Summer time when you can see all the beautiful mountains all around you and if they aren't covered by fog like they were for me. Plus, it would be great to camp around that lake and explore some of the water falls and maybe even mountain peaks around the lake. Also, word on the street is that the cabin around there is very nice with a heater and everything. Supposedly you can also just keep on continuing right on past Lost Lake and end up back at the road, like 15 miles north of where your car is parked.

Probably one of my favorites. I loved the views once you were past the tree line. You can see glaciers in every direction. Had great weather. Camped near the lake and did lots of hiking around the area. Marmots everywhere, tons of blueberries as well. Loved this trail, would highly recommend

Taz Tally's hiking book said this was one of his favorite trails in the Peninsula and I'd have to agree with him! Sadly, I didn't make it to Lost Lake, but rather did the loop of the summer and winter trail. I went up the Summer trail and came back the Winter trail. The summer trail is amazing and offers lush, shady, hiking among mossy trees and rocks and creeks. It gently inclines but nothing strenuous at all. You top out above the trees and follow the contour of a mountain high above the river, with towering mountains just on the other side of that river. Wonderful views! The contour rises up to the ridge line of that mountain where the views open up to a grassy meadow dotted with short-ish spruce trees. There is a sign here where the trail splits. Going left will take you to Lost Lake and going right will take you to Dale Clemens cabin. The signage here is very misleading. It does not indicate what trail is the Winter trail, nor does it give mileages to the lake or the cabin. Turns out, it's about three more miles to the lake from there. We had wanted to take the Winter trail back, but also wanted to see the cabin first. We didn't know that the cabin is actually located on the Winter trail. From that sign, we turned right to find the cabin, not knowing we were on the Winter trail. We assumed the cabin was not far from the sign, but I'd say it's about 2 miles down the Winter trail before you reach it. Very misleading. We were debating whether to turn around and get on the Winter trail since we weren't finding the cabin, when we met a trail runner who told us that we were on the Winter trail and that the cabin was still ahead of us. Regardless, from that sign, the Winter trail traverses the ridge of the mountain through a grassy meadow with stunning views of the glacier-topped mountain range opposite you. The trail to the cabin is beautiful as it's mostly along this ridge. The cabin itself is below the ridge and offers a great view of Resurrection bay and Seward. Renovations were being done on the cabin when we were there, it was a beautiful log cabin on stilts with an outhouse nearby. From the cabin, the Winter trail becomes clearly unmaintained falling steeply down the mountain with no switchbacks. For some reason it followed the stream channel, making the trail horrendously muddy. If I hadn't had waterproof hiking boots, my socks/feet would have gotten freezing mud on them. Very slick too, so do bring your hiking poles. In reality, we shouldn't have taken the Winter trail back, but rather should have hiked to the cabin, turned around and taken the Summer trail back. But besides the terrible slick mud, it was an amazing hike!

I bikes this trail for the first time on 9/17 and it was by far the most challenging and technical trail I've done yet.

The trail was too steep and rocky to bike so I had to push my bike up half of the trail. Coming down there are numerous large steep drops on the trail. The vast majority of the trail is speckled with large wet and muddy rocks and roots; which are more akin to small logs. I had a ton of fun zipping down this trail and since it was my first time on it I'm shocked I did not crash.

If you are an inexperienced rider please wear a helmet and use extreme caution, or you will crash going downhill.

Beginning of the Trail is pretty average, but once you get up above the treeline the views are amazing. At the beginning of the trail you can choose the winter trail or summer trail.

Winter Trail climbs quickly to the ridge line, and offers amazing views of Resurrection Bay. It is extremely muddy. Not difficult except for mud.

Summer trail climbs slowly to the top, seemed better maintained, and was easier.

They join up about 3.5 miles in, so you can do one going up and the other coming back.

Flies and mosquitos on the trail can be pretty rough, so I would bring insect repellent. All in all, great trail with incredible views of multiple glaciers and several lakes.

recorded Lost Lake trail to cabin