Lazy Mountain Trail

Lazy Mountain Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took the shorter trail to the left on the way up, very slippery with mud and very steep. Amazing views at the top. Took the lazy moose trail on the way down and we were happy we did. Not steep or slippery at all, round trip with breaks took us 4.5 hours

Super super challenging, hardest hike I’ve done to date but so worth it at the top!!

It was definitely more difficult than I anticipated toward the end. Wanted more switchbacks. But we made it! pack in more water than you think. We ran out.

This is an intense hike, I’ve done this trail 5 times now and it never gets easier. A majority of the trail is hiking straight up until you finally get out of the tree line and head straight across the several false peaks to the summit. It’s a several hour hike and definitely bring water and snacks. The view is totally worth it though! You can over look the whole Valley, all the way to the coast.

We headed out today for an after dinner hike. We wanted to get a preview of what Lazy Mountain had to offer. Took the Lazy Moose Trail for about an hour up, then turned around and came back down. It had just started a light rain on our way up, so no bugs and decent footing. Rain stopped in less than an hour, and no rainfall for the hike back down. Unfortunately someone had taken a horse up that way and had torn up the trail, tearing chunks away with each hoofprint. The trail has recently been cleared and maintained for the season and it was nice and open. The way back down on the same trail was slightly more slippery due to rain that fell during our ascent. There are 7 in our party, five kids ages 5-15, and two semi in shape parents. Everyone did great! We can't wait to go again and make the full climb to the peak!

So intense and so beautiful!!!!! What a workout!!!

Steep and a tad difficult, but definitely worth it. 4 miles each way, so 8 total. Don't let the false peaks fool ya!

Just awesome, a few different routes it looked like to get yourself up there, one being more difficult than the other according to the signage. Took the harder one so I’ll have to go back and try the other and see how that is. Either way, nice challenge, steep all the way up and down, the work to get to the top makes the view all the more worth it!

Great challenging trail that hits you with steep inclines just a few meters out of the parking lot. Steep incline the whole way up and the false summits definitely trick you if you are thinking your done. Views at the top definitely well worth the pain of hiking the incline. My lab and me both enjoyed the hike

If you enjoy STEEP incline and STEEP decline (NO JOKE) this is absolutely for you. 1 star because the views, other than that, not my cup of tea. Enjoyed the challenge though!

Great views! Difficult trail and really paying for it but still worth every bit.

This trail is steep and difficult. We actually went up the Lazy Moose side about 4.5 miles one way and down the steeper side about 2ish miles. Round trip 6.60 miles according to MapMyHike. There are serval false peaks that get your hopes up but the view at the end makes the pain worth it! I would not recommend this trail if it has been raining as the few muddy spots we encountered were very slick. We encountered a moose on our way up the Lazy Moose trail definitely keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings!

Pretty steep all the way up. Went up and down the steeper route. Would recommend going down on the Lazy Moose Trail. Hike is really only worth it if you go all the way to the top and not stop at the first picnic table.

Went up hard steep route due to a moose and switchback on way back. Busy trail — too many people for me. Ok trail but was expecting more . Won’t do it again but crossed off our list .

Beautiful hike. The trail splits at the beginning, to the right is the easier, less steep trail but it's 4 miles long to the top. To the left at the split is the harder trail that is quite steep but only about 2 1/4 miles to the top.
At the halfway point of the shorter trail, the two meet at one of two picnic tables and its about a mile to the peak from there.
We took the longer/easier trail up then the shorter/steeper trail down all in about 3.5 hours with a 30 minute stop at the top.
I would rate the short trail as hard, physically, and the long trail moderate. Both are well kept trails though, mostly dirt, and then some gravel/rocky sand up closer to the top.

In my experience, I would rate this as hard compared to some other hikes I have done on this site that are rated comparatively. I did this hike last fall with my husband and 17yo son. We took the steep side and it was super steep and muddy/slippery. A lot of it is brushy at the lower elevation which is not my cup of tea. The view is nice once at the top, especially of Mat Peak!

Took the more difficult route up. Made it to the summit (2.2 miles) in 1hr 20mins, but was moving fast! Great views! The trail was in good condition...tacky enough to keep you sticking to it. Maybe a little slippery in some spots. Took the longer, easier route back. Somehow ended up on the horse trail for the very last portion. 3hrs, 6.3 miles round trip.

I would rank this trail as more difficult than moderate. It’s seriously steep going up and steep coming down. The view is totally worth every step you take. If you get to the first picnic table just keep going! The worst part is over. At least in my opinion anyway. Happy trails.

Nice smooth hike!!! Nothing like a breath of fresh air

Steep climb, trail is in mediocre shape because of its design, strait up mostly. I would say the trail is more then “lightly trafficked” in the summer months. Braided and muddy but if you take it one piece at a time with frequent rests to enjoy the views it’s not too bad. Rewarded with great views of the valley and Matanuska peak.

Took the easy route after attempting 10mins of the harder one and nearly passed out haha I'm so unconditioned but take the easy one don't overestimate yourself like I did. I'll come back again for that harder trail later.

It was a beautiful hike, there were a few places where it got muddy and slippery due to the snow melting. It is a great practice hike.

moderate?! LMAO "most difficult" or "more difficult" is what the signs says when starting the trail.
amazing view the entire way up on the side of the "more difficult" bring extra clothes if you fall down on the muddy/snowy steep hike coming down in the early spring (April); water source is a must.

Took the longer but easier trail (Lazy Moose), was still a pretty difficult climb with the mud and ice. Lots of switchbacks and a couple of false peaks that make you think you're almost at the top. But the view at the top is absolutely gorgeous and well worth it! Pack a lunch and a sweatshirt for the summit and it's an awesome day hike!

Opted with the "easier" moose mountain trail. Lots of switch backs, great elevation and decently maintained. A little rain the day before made the trail mildly treacherous. Killer veiw and fall hike.

Monday, September 18, 2017

The elevation gain was a killer. However it's totally worth it once you get to the top. Seriously beautiful.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Took Lazy mountain (difficult) trail up and back and round trip was about 3.5 hrs however stopped for about 30 mins to pick a water bottle full of wild blueberries and was moving fairly slow, hiking with my mom. Beautiful views at the top even on a partly cloudy day. Pretty windy and chilly at the top, if hiking in mid to late August or later bring a lightweight hoodie or jacket. Several false summits to rest at after the picnic table. Quite slippery in some spots due to rain the last couple of days. Overall a fun hike!!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Views were great! Attempted the difficult trail and did not make it to the top. Probably best to try on a dry day as coming down was very tricky in the mud and resulted in a few slips. Would totally try it again though

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I took the lazy moose trail going up, which is the easier path, and it was still challenging. But the views at the top and along the way are really worth it. You feel like you're on top of the world. Bring lots of water and layers -- it's pretty chilly at the top. Recommend hiking poles, as well. I took the lazy mountain trail going down and it was really slippery due to the rain.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great hike. Beautiful view of the butte! Not too long, definitely faster coming down. Don't let the name deceive you, nothing lazy about it. It's steep. The summit is totally worth it though! Bring lots of water and wear decent shoes! If your in the area I'd definitely check it out.