Lazy Mountain Trail

Lazy Mountain Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep climb, trail is in mediocre shape because of its design, strait up mostly. I would say the trail is more then “lightly trafficked” in the summer months. Braided and muddy but if you take it one piece at a time with frequent rests to enjoy the views it’s not too bad. Rewarded with great views of the valley and Matanuska peak.

Took the easy route after attempting 10mins of the harder one and nearly passed out haha I'm so unconditioned but take the easy one don't overestimate yourself like I did. I'll come back again for that harder trail later.

It was a beautiful hike, there were a few places where it got muddy and slippery due to the snow melting. It is a great practice hike.

moderate?! LMAO "most difficult" or "more difficult" is what the signs says when starting the trail.
amazing view the entire way up on the side of the "more difficult" bring extra clothes if you fall down on the muddy/snowy steep hike coming down in the early spring (April); water source is a must.

Took the longer but easier trail (Lazy Moose), was still a pretty difficult climb with the mud and ice. Lots of switchbacks and a couple of false peaks that make you think you're almost at the top. But the view at the top is absolutely gorgeous and well worth it! Pack a lunch and a sweatshirt for the summit and it's an awesome day hike!

Opted with the "easier" moose mountain trail. Lots of switch backs, great elevation and decently maintained. A little rain the day before made the trail mildly treacherous. Killer veiw and fall hike.

The elevation gain was a killer. However it's totally worth it once you get to the top. Seriously beautiful.

Took Lazy mountain (difficult) trail up and back and round trip was about 3.5 hrs however stopped for about 30 mins to pick a water bottle full of wild blueberries and was moving fairly slow, hiking with my mom. Beautiful views at the top even on a partly cloudy day. Pretty windy and chilly at the top, if hiking in mid to late August or later bring a lightweight hoodie or jacket. Several false summits to rest at after the picnic table. Quite slippery in some spots due to rain the last couple of days. Overall a fun hike!!

Views were great! Attempted the difficult trail and did not make it to the top. Probably best to try on a dry day as coming down was very tricky in the mud and resulted in a few slips. Would totally try it again though

I took the lazy moose trail going up, which is the easier path, and it was still challenging. But the views at the top and along the way are really worth it. You feel like you're on top of the world. Bring lots of water and layers -- it's pretty chilly at the top. Recommend hiking poles, as well. I took the lazy mountain trail going down and it was really slippery due to the rain.

Great hike. Beautiful view of the butte! Not too long, definitely faster coming down. Don't let the name deceive you, nothing lazy about it. It's steep. The summit is totally worth it though! Bring lots of water and wear decent shoes! If your in the area I'd definitely check it out.

Lazy Mountain is a tough hike, but well worth the effort. The views are stunning. We took the Lazy Moose trail down the mountain. It was beautiful back there.

So beautiful make sure you bring enough water and maybe a snack for the top!

Great views!

Friday, May 19, 2017

Good hike. Went up Lazy Moose trail which was supposed to be easier. Still a challenging hike as it was uphill and more uphill! Less steep after a few miles. Beautiful views even though cloudy!!!

Saturday, May 06, 2017

It was fabulous! Nice and hard but not terribly long. It only took about 1 1/2 hours to get to the summit.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Sign posted stating Trail closed due to muddy conditions.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

if you're looking for a butt kicker, this is it. I'd probably give it five stars, but when we went it was pretty slushy (mid April). definitely trying this one again in the summer.

super slushy and muddy.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Did this hike today. We went up Lazy Mountain and down Lazy Moose. In the way up - quite a bit of snow and ice. On the way down, was pretty rough with lots of snow and ice. Not much traffic so sometimes hard to find the trail. Wish we just went down Lazy Mountain instead of doing the moose. Saw a small moose.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Crazy Lazy is this Saturday, wish me luck. :D

Monday, October 03, 2016

Lazy Mountain is steep, but the summit is worth it. Great views of the valley and the surrounding mountains. Trail can be a bit treacherous when wet because of the steepness, but I've also heard that it can be really dusty when dry, so choose your poison.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Great trail, great 360 degree viewpoints past the treeline. We took the old trail up and came back down by lazy moose trail. It took us 5 hours to do the roundtrip.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Depending on the weather this could be a very difficult trail. On a average August day I took my 5 year old and my friend's 13 year old up to the top (I would not recommend for the average 5 and 13 year old). Beautiful views and a good challenge. It took us about 6.5 hours round trip.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Really tuff, but man oh man is it beautiful.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Had lots of fun ,however moderate is NOT how I would have described this trail! I only made it to the picnic table before my calfs gave out.lol still a good work out and a fantastic view

Thursday, August 11, 2016

I enjoyed the intensity of this hike. Lazy Mountain goes straight up which become a challenge specially if it is muddy. By far the hardest hike that I have ever done. I would avoid the Lazy Moose trail though.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Pretty strenuous first couple of hills until the gravel walkway. After that it was about a mile and half though the woods through gradual incline until you get to a clearing. We stopped around there and picked some berries and lost track of time so never made it all the way to the top of Lazy Mt. Definitely not the easiest hike, but it was a nice 4 mile round trip we did!

Monday, August 01, 2016

The only thing lazy about lazy mountain were the trail builders. This hike is not moderate. I've done some tough hikes and this one was by far the worst. No switchbacks, just goes straight up. I'm in good shape, but I was sore for a straight week. This mountain kicked my butt.
All that being said, the view of Matanuska Peak at the top was MORE than worth it.
Took about 2 hours to go up and 1.5 to come down, and I was booking it both ways.

Monday, July 11, 2016

This is a pretty tough hike not for the faint of heart. I do recommend going straight up and not using the lazy moose trail it's a lot longer.