Kenai River Trail

Kenai River Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cooper Landing, Alaska that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

The only reason I gave this hike one star was because it had had recent grizzly bear activity on it. In hindsight I should not have hiked it. There was bear "sign" right on the trail, especially down by the river, and it was steamy fresh--very unnerving. There was also mangled fish carcasses at the beginning of the trail, far before you reach the river, not to mention ten or so carcasses along the river. And the terrible smell from the bears was everywhere! The whole experience detracted from the hike and I didn't take any pictures or stop to enjoy the view. If bears weren't frequenting the trail, it would have been a great hike. I only did the loop from the second trailhead parking lot. It brings you gently downhill through thin trees and grassy undergrowth. It's pretty enclosed most of the way down until you reach the river. The mountain views from the river are very pretty, as is the rushing river itself. I wasn't able to complete the loop though because the trail was completely underwater for a large section and I didn't have wading gear. This underwater section was also choked with tall grasses, making it hard to follow even if I had decided to wade through. Another time of year may have been better to do this trail, when the river wasn't so full. Overall, easy hike, pretty views by the river, good shade and trees headed down. I was hiking alone, but I recommend going with a group of people who like to talk loudly! I talked loudly the whole hike, which is likely why I didn't see any bears, but it really took the joy out of hiking. Don't forget the bear spray!

Did the west trail until the end. Beautiful overlooks of the river, moderately easily with a few steep rocky areas.

Monday, September 12, 2016

loved it

Monday, June 13, 2016

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Monday, April 04, 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Beautiful easy trail

Friday, March 25, 2016

This is a beautiful hike high a over the river for breathtaking views. Very easy. I definitely encountered a bear eating berries on the trail but he ran away when he saw me. Not heavily trafficked with lots of spots to pause, sit and view fishing row boats go by.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Took the kids last weekend and had a great time. Breathtaking views and gorgeous weather. Not difficult for my young boys but still a good workout. Maintained trails. A woman in the parking lot had seen a brown bear but we missed it.

Thursday, March 20, 2014