Independence Mine Trail is a 0.5 mile out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 173 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Great hike for all skill levels. Trail is nice and packed so no spikes or snow shoes necessary.

I’ve been to Independence Mine a few times now. Once I went in the middle of May but there was still quite a lot of snow. You couldn’t park up by the buildings, you had to hike up the road a ways through the very slushy snow. That said, it is still really beautiful and well worth the trip in the snow- just be prepared. I’ve also been in July and September and it was gorgeous- the fireweed was out in abundance. It’s still windy and a bit chilly so definitely bring a jacket (it’s on a mountain so don’t let the weather in town fool you). I went with my 4&5 year old kids and my mother in law and we all managed the trail around the Mine just fine. It is a little steep in some places, so some caution is needed but overall a must-see!

Great,amazing views

Great little trail. Not too long.

Fri Nov 23 2018

Mon Aug 20 2018

Loved the view, easy trails to walk on.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Went all over not just by the buildings. Hiked up to the cross and in back by the yurt and A- frame. . Will be beautiful in the fall.

Wed Aug 01 2018

walked all around the mine. very interesting

Sun Jul 29 2018

lovely trail. lots to view. we took our 9month old son and he enjoyed the hike. it wasn't too bad in elevation and it was a easy hike.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Hiked up to marmot ridge. Nobody but us!! Beautiful and total isolation. Old mining equipment and a man made mining tunnel.

Mon Jul 02 2018

The road was still closed due to the amount of snow but it was open to pedestrians on foot. There were quite a few people walking up and back from the old mining town. Lots of signs to read and learn from. It was kind of neat to have waste deep snow and then we drove 10 minutes down the road to the Gold Mint Trail and took our jackets off because we were too warm!

Sun Sep 17 2017

Road was closed, but still a nice hike.

Thu Sep 07 2017

Love this hike. Took an hour to walk and explore the history of the mine.

Thu Apr 13 2017

Great family sight!

Mon Apr 10 2017

Very easy hike, good for the entire family, amazing views as long as its a clear day. The snow was still packed pretty well so it was easy to walk around, but its getting warmer so plan accordingly. Still a feet of snow up there. Dogs on leashes. There are bathrooms in the parking area and in the mine area. Several trails branch off from the mine area and along the road on the way up. Definitely going back this summer.

Sun Apr 09 2017

Absolutely stunning. It's pretty easy to see the entire mine, I have a problem with my right hip and I've walked it twice about 3 hours each time. Going back again in two weeks!

Fri Sep 16 2016

great history to view

rock climbing
Sat Jun 27 2015

My team of two got into some hairy stuff as we blazed off the trail in hopes of making it to the peek...the weather rolled in as we made our way over snow covered boulders, searching for our footing...straddling and crawling over all sizes of rock! Great time...will remember forever!

Mon Sep 02 2013

This was really a beautiful place! When we went there, it was raining, but still we had a great time hiking there. I couldn't stop taking pictures!! If you have time, take a tour. It's only $6 per person, and really informative! They take you inside of the buildings, and tell you how they lived, who lived there. It's worth $6 and the time (one hour).