Hatcher Pass Scenic Drive

Hatcher Pass Scenic Drive is a 50.7 mile point-to-point trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and scenic driving and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 50.7 miles Elevation Gain: 6,538 feet Route Type: Point to Point

paved

Fantastic views of the pass. The lake at the top is beautiful and marked the end of a wonderful drive for us!

ohv/off road driving

Highly recommend in the fall - colors are incredibly vibrant, temps in the 50s/60s, and the off-roading is fun and manageable. Lots to explore and lots to offer.

What a beautiful place to explore! So many different routes to choose from. The scenery is so breathtaking!

Gorgeous in any type of weather! Gold and jade in the streams. Check for mining claims first...

one of my favorite drives, takes a bit longer than going up thru palmer. but we'll worth it

Was open on 6/24/19. Heard the road opened last week.

closed

I drove about half of Hatcher’s Pass. It is still closed due to snow. You can drive has far as Independence before you have to park or turn around. I did hike around but didn’t venture far as you need snow shoes. It is absolutely gorgeous with stunning views.

Fri Sep 28 2018

beautiful drive with many hikes ranging from easy to difficult. even if you do not hike, this is one of the most beautiful drives!

Sun Aug 19 2018

Beautiful!

Fri Jul 13 2018

Stunning views from start to finish.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Such a pretty view!! Lots of stops on the way up with beautiful views

Mon Jul 02 2018

We visited Alaska from Michigan for a week. We laugh because when something says "scenic drive" we're like: "Where isn't it a scenic drive?". Everywhere was so beautiful and Hatcher's Pass was no exception!

Wed Jun 06 2018

Love this spot. Still too much snow to hike the pass but we did enjoy the drive.

Sun Oct 15 2017

Beautiful winter hike up to Summit Lake. Used crampons. Lot of people skiing and snowshoeing. Can’t wait to snowmobile

Sat Oct 14 2017

Very nice scenic drive.

Fri Aug 18 2017

Absolutely beautiful!

Mon Aug 07 2017

Amazing drive, views were incredible. Wish I had a little more time up there, I would have checked out a few trails near the lake. You won't be disappointed.

Sat Jun 10 2017

We took a detour from our drive down to Anchorage, and made this scenic drive. The views of forests, mountains, and creeks are stunning. There are hiking, camping, fishing, and hunting venues all along this drive.

Thu Apr 13 2017

Drove through over spring break up- just as stunning!

Tue Mar 14 2017

love it for a nice easy day.

Sat Oct 08 2016

beautiful drive, scenic walk and hikes. did it multiple times 2013 thru 2015.

Fri Sep 16 2016

great day drive with several spots to stop and do little hikes!!

Sat Aug 27 2016

Absolutely beautiful, nice gradual incline

Mon Aug 15 2016

The road getting to the trail is compact dirt, fairly steep, and full of switchbacks. Once you get to the summit (about 3.8k feet above sea level) you can hike the rest of the way up to the peak of the mountain. It's a little challenging towards the top but the absolutely breath taking views are worth it.

Sun Aug 14 2016

Want incline, scenic views and lots of trail options? Then Hatcher Pass, AK is the perfect place.

Sat Aug 13 2016

absolutely love this area. It's close to home and yet far enough away. The views are breath taking all year long. You can take your time and take in the view. Well worth your time and energy. My dog loves it year round too. Great place to let your dog run and just play.

Sat Aug 06 2016

I Really don't know how to rate this. I gave this a 4 star because it was such beautiful scenery once I made it to the top and saw the pond up there. I am over weight and a disabled vet so I did get anxious about the look down because it was in the open. The trail was a dirt path, a little muddy in a few areas and rocks. I saw 8 and 10 year olds going up/down with no problems and so I muscled through my fear and pain. I felt accomplished so that's also in my rating but I can't really give an accurate difficulty level. We had less than an hour to make it up and down because they lock the gate. It was ok for our group because we had a skilled hiker who hustled down, moved the car so I didn't have to rush down.

Tue May 10 2016

Sooo pretty and soo much to see