Harding Ice Field Trail

Harding Ice Field Trail is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lowell Point, Alaska that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Spectacular hike! Breathtaking views all along the hike. The mileage and elevation gain written here is incorrect. The trail map is incorrect too. The trail stops about 0.2 mi after the emergency shelter. It is 8.8 miles and ~3200ft of elevation gain (including part of the nature walk which is 0.3mi one way). Actual map and mileage from NPS website: https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/upload/HIT_New_Distances_reduced.pdf

One of my top 5!

Amazing hike ! Different landscapes as we go up and the view at the top is breathtaking. A must for one day hike

Took approx 5 hr 15 min round trip while stopping for pictures and food. Great views from the top!

A wonderfully maintained trail awaits the experienced hiker on this route. The views only get better as you go up, and definitely keep going past Marmot Meadows. Take pictures both up and down, as you never know when the clouds and rain will roll in. Mountain goats near the peak, marmots past the meadow. A good hike all around.

On the day that we went, we experienced all kinds of weather during the hike. It started out mostly sunny, then clouds rolled in and we had a bit of drizzle at the lower elevations, then sideways sleet in the higher elevation and heavy fog. The Gulf can bring in any kind of weather so I do recommend wearing layered clothing. If it is warm you will need a lot of water and you should drink it to prevent leg cramping. All of us agreed that we were most "sore" coming down as those toenails pressed into our hiking boots. I also suggest a change of socks since you may have to jump over a few small creeks or navigate over some snow and your feet may get wet. It is easy to become disoriented when the fog rolls in and fewer people are on the higher elevations. See my pictures to get an idea of what I mean. It will take the better part of the day to do this hike, but it is so worth it!

Excellent day hike. We saw a black bear, marmots, mountain goats and a glacier of course. The wild flowers were amazing but a few areas were pretty buggy. Roughly six hours but could have used a bit more time. Call Greg's taxi if you don't have a car.

beautiful hike, 7 hours with our 7 and 9 years old daughters, stunning landscapes and a lot of fun in the snow!

I started at 8:30am yesterday and made it back and signed the trail visitors log at 2:30pm. I stopped a few times along the way to snack and admire wildlife and also spent about 30 mins at the top eating lunch. I think I was the first person on the trail; the only other fresh prints I saw in the snow were those of a girl I ran into who was hiking back down after camping at the top for a night. It was nice to be able to get out there early by myself. I saw a ptarmigan and it's chicks and for a while I probably saw a marmot every five minutes. Coming back down, I ran into a bunch more people. The snow was a bit slicker due to heavier foot traffic and the sun.

The trail is well maintained and gets a good amount of traffic. For a moderately active person plan on 5.5 to 6 hours.