Greyling Lake Trail

Greyling Lake Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bear Creek, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Blueberry Picking

Great hike and one of the few where I didn't see any sign of bears (although I did follow fresh moose tracks all the way to the lake). Lush, moss-covered rocks and stumps, a few open meadows with wooden walkways to help avoid the mud and streams. Easy hike. The elevation gain was not difficult at all. In fact, I'm surprised AllTrails has it as 935 feet elevation gain, because I would rate this as easy with only slight uphills. The steepest section is right from the trailhead when you climb up about 500 feet or so to the railroad tracks, but once you cross these tracks, the grade becomes more manageable. You will also cross under powerlines and the muddy road that service vehicles use to work on them. This was quite muddy and I had to find a fallen tree branch to fling across the mud so I could make it to the other side. Other times of year, I'm sure the mud is not a problem however. This trail eventually becomes a "T" where going left takes you to Greyling and going right takes you to Meridian Lake. Once at Greyling, there is another trail sign indicating the path to Vagt Lake. I didn't have time to continue to these lakes but they seemed like they would be equally as nice. Greyling lake itself is small and the view is kind of hemmed in by trees. But the hike to it was beautiful and would be enjoyable for families.

Saturday, September 17, 2016