Grewingk Glacier is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Homer, Alaska that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,027 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy hike into lake with fabulous views across iceberg strewn lake to Grewingk Glacier.

Great hike. Went on this hike with my wife and 4 year old daughter yesterday. I didn’t see any bears, but Plenty of signs with some fresh prints and some scat on the trail. The Glacier and the lake at the bottom is well worth the hike, but be ready as the temperature drops substantial more than I originally thought around the lake.

GREAT GREAT GREAT trail! Well-kept. Easy walking after the initial slight climb. Spectacular views of the glacier at the lake. From what we saw, you cannot access the receding glacier any longer on foot though. We did a guided hike plus kayaking tour with Three Moose Adventures. Spectacular is all I can say. We've had the opportunity now to see many glaciers over the years, including several that calve into the sea or lakes. This is a very special experience due to the interestingly shaped, small and massive ice bergs floating through the lake. Would recommend both the mere hike as well as the kayaking experience. Nothing like it - go do it! You will not easily find a similar hiking experience anywhere on the planet.

Absolutely a great time! We saw two bears from a safe distance but lots of scat and sign. Make lots of noise. The Blue Ice trail that takes you to Emerald Lake and overlook near glacier are extremely overgrown and washed up a bit in places but worthy the effort.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Beautiful hike wonderful scenery

Wed Sep 12 2018

Great hike to marvelous glacier lake with ice bergs. But you need to bring a bell or noise maker and bear spray. Loaded with bears so be on alert. Also gravely and rocky in some places. Talk talk talk so you don’t startle beard

Thu Aug 23 2018

Gotta do the tram if you do this hike

Thu Jul 19 2018

We hiked from Glacier Spit to the lake and then south on the Saddle Trail - drop off and pickup easily arranged with Mako Water Taxi in Homer. We had spectacular warm sunny weather to enjoy the forest hike and view of the glacier across the iceberg-littered lake. Very easy trail with lots of bear sign but no bears. Great wildflowers including monkhead and red columbine.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Makos water taxi to the trail head. I went to the trolly and crossed the river. It was not easy. We ended up going back across and just hiking to the lake. The lake was amazing and I’m glade we went there. Lists of icebergs in the lake. The hike to the lake and then to the pickup spot was about 6.5 easy miles. Water taxi was $80 per person round trip. Well worth it. Bring bear spray!!!

Mon Apr 09 2018

this trail was beautiful. I love that it starts on the beach and ends in the mountains! So far best trail in Alaska!

Tue Apr 03 2018

One of the coolest trails I've done in Alaska, spent the night sleeping by a Glacier with no other people around, pretty amazing. Did it mid-june, I'm sure it picks up more campers later in the season. The cost of the boat ride is well worth it!!

Thu Aug 03 2017

You end up at a glacier. Enough said

Wed Nov 23 2016

Best hiking experience in Alaska! Challenging trail, especially in the rain, but definitely worth it. There are options so you don't have to hike the entire 12 mile trail, but you still get the amazing scenery and hiking experience.

Thu Jan 28 2016

Beautiful water taxi ride to the trailhead, scenic & relaxing hike! Amazing lunch at the lake! Best overall hiking experience in AK!

recorded Grewingk Glacier