Granite Tors Loop Trail

Granite Tors Loop Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairbanks, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did the full 15 miles (27km) in one day. Totally worth it, the view with the granite tors is spectacular! :) Hikes it clockwise which was a good idea, that way the steepest section of the trail will be downhill.

Took the wife and kiddo for this challenging yet beautiful trail. Did not plan for a 15 miler in one day but it was certainly worth it. We went up the west loop and back down the east loop and it took around 8 hours. Other than the mosquitoes and swampy areas it was a great hike with a wide variety of terrain. I suggest leaving early and bringing plenty of mosquito repellent and water. Enjoy your hike.

Did all 15 miles in one day! Great hike, challenging at points

This was my first hiking trip since moving to AK this year. I had 2 large dogs with me (a Mal and a GSD), and we hiked the short loop up to the point the loop is closed and we had to turn onto the East side of the long loop trail. It wasn’t as clearly marked as I’d have liked, so we turned back and went the entire West side of the long loop trail. It was beautiful, but the ascent/descent on such narrow and rough trails isn’t for the inexperienced hiker. Overall, it was a beautiful day, and we will definitely be going back regularly to explore further.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Beautiful area, well maintained trail. Makes for a good, long day hike, took me about 6.5 hrs. Trail is quite soggy in some areas from all of the recent rain but it made nice watering holes for my dog.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

well worth the hike to climb around on the tors!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Gorgeous views, the Tors are worth the effort. Moderate hike, but close to being difficult. Do not take the counter-clockwise route, it is super steep to climb. Take it clockwise to climb down the steep section. Take plenty of water and snacks. If taking dogs, make sure their pads are used to the tough terrain or put boots on them. Sunscreen is a definite if you are prone to sunburn. And take lots, and lots of pictures, it's just a spectacular view.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fantastic trail, and well maintained.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My favorite hike to do in the Fairbanks area

Monday, October 05, 2015

I love this horseshoe loop! Careful early summer there will be deep snow in the saddles...

Sunday, May 25, 2014

We just did this one. Went up to the 4 mile stop and went back. Would have liked to go all the way at least once but we couldn't take it lol. It was great but not very pretty sometimes from the fire.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

We took the path to the right and later found out it was the hardest route to take. We went to the 4.5 mile mark so ended up doing 9 miles with two little ones. It was super muddy still but was great! We will go back but will take the other route this time since it's supposed to be the easier route.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

We did this trail a week ago and it is just before break up. Lots of snow on the trail still but it was packed down good until the split for the three mile and the tors. Then it was deep. Would be a great cross country ski or snowshoe trail as well. Can't wait til summer to do the whole trail and some back country camping with our daughter. It's a good place for a starter cause your not too far out there that in an Emergancy someone can't go for help.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

I completed the 3 mile loop (which was closer to 2 miles). This was a nice easy hike and should be easy enough for small kids. Bug spray is a must in the warm weather! I hope to complete the full 15 mile loop soon.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

This is one of my favorite trails to hike in the Fairbanks area. This trail winds through 15 miles of Alaska wilderness. The trail takes you along streams, through spruce and birch, along ridgelines with beautiful panoramic views, and most notably the giant granite rocks known as "Tors". The "tors" are what make this hike worth the trip. Seen on the horizon they do not look very big but once among them you can truly appreciate their size. If you are a rock climber then you have come to the right place. The only bad part is the closest "tor" is about 7 miles from the trailhead. At any rate this is a great trail for both hikers and climbers in the summer and snowshoer's and skiers in the winter.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017