Learn more

Granite Tors Loop Trail is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairbanks, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 14.1 mi Elevation gain 3,336 ft Route type Loop

Photos (38)
Recordings (21)
Completed (126)
Jake Cavaiani
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

This trail was incredible. We made our way up the east valley trail side which was a little steeper than the other side would have been but you instantly get up the hillside and get spectacular views of the tors and the Chena recreational area. The tors are a site to see as they are speckled sporadically throughout the hillside. The top of the hill is alpine tundra environment which was a cool switch from the birch and dense forest that was so much of the climb up. Watch your footing as you approach the shelter as it’s wet and the tussocks are an easy ankle hazard. Overall an incredible interior AK hike that is a must do

Molly Payne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

Long hike, but really fun! I did this hike on 6/20/20 and I really enjoyed it. Beautiful scenic views and the Tors were very cool. I logged a total of 14.74 miles roundtrip, leaving my car at 9:15AM and returning around 3:30PM. The entire hike was snow free at this point, but it was quite muddy and boggy at certain points, particularly in the range of 7-9 miles in near the shelter. I highly recommend wearing boots for the muddy portions. I also recommend having robust bug protection. I had 30% DEET bugspray and that seemed to keep them off of my legs, but I wished I had had a bug net for my face. Checking the weather the day of is a MUST; you will be very exposed along the ridge line and vulnerable to whatever blows in. I got rained on pretty hard at one point myself. Not too much trouble finding the trail, just look for the markers posted along the way at the top of the ridge where the trail melts away into the mud

Robert Lowe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
BackpackingMuddySnow

Trail was muddy at points but the snow on the trail was knee deep at points and made finding the trail difficult in the tree line lots of water higher up if your planning on staying in the shelter the wood stove has a hole in the bottom right side and there’s a wasp nest on the smoke stack did the whole trail overnighter beautiful trip highly recommended.

Kathryn Reichert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 26 2020
Hiking

Love this trail but it’s definitely tough! Bring lots of water. It takes you through some pretty varied terrain, including some muskeg at the top which we sank into a bit as we walked. We went in late August I think and there were lots of blueberries along some parts of the trail.

Scott Bredbenner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 06 2019
Hiking

Great trail near Fairbanks. Fall colors were eye-popping. Prefer clockwise, less steep and more views. If going downhill is a problem for you, go counterclockwise. Forth time, gone both ways. This is a challenging but so rewarding one day hike.

Caitlin Bernard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 02 2019
HikingBridge outRockyScramble

Best trail in the Fairbanks area! The views and scenery are worth all the effort. I’ve run this loop three times, and it’s no joke. If you’re an experienced hiker, this will be no problem. Take note of the trail markers, especially in the boggy section before the trail shelter. For trail running, it’s excellent, but there are definitely some sections where you have to hike or scramble. Start out early, and know that the weather can change on a dime once you’ve cleared the tree line. Be prepared for rain!

Jake Lovaas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 10 2019
HikingBridge outMuddyNo shadeOver grown

With the recent rain the trail was wet. Lots of creeks flowing in the trail and one of the bridges on the 3 mile loop is blown out. Overall the trail takes you across some amazing terrain and is very cool. The trail is definitely not easy, 15 miles is a lot on one day so make sure you plan out your trip wisely.

Andrew Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 17 2019
HikingRocky

Have done it twice now, both times as overnights with packs. Love it! I cannot say enough about the views at the top and watching the sun go down and then waking up to that vista, woah! The only real difficulty, beside the tough grade, is the lack of water access at anywhere except the parking lot. even the water barrel for rain at the shelter isn't collecting enough/any. So we learned the hard way last year to bring your water with you. That was rough for that first day. that's a lot of water for two days and meals to home up. Our preference is to hike counterclockwise and go up the steep side. After some effort you are right in the Tors. If you come the more gradual side, you'll have to hike another 30-45min before you reach your first Tor. Enjoy, take water.

Canada Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 28 2019

This is 15 miles at least and not 14.1 as all trails suggest. I did this hike yesterday(5-27-19), started at 9 and ended at 4. It was fantastic, gorgeous with little rain. If you are in in good hiking shape, this will be no problem, but if not, you will struggle..Well maintained trail for the most part and a shack to rest in about 8 miles in. I couldn't recommend this more.

Kit Dawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 25 2019
HikingRocky

This was a great hike, witness the trail conditions for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjLPGaxHC7A

M'Lynn Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Mar 19 2019
HikingSnow

I hiked all 15 miles of this monster 3-17 and it was absolutely brutal. Do not take the time frame for recommended use lightly as the snow on the trail made this a 9.5 hour hike for me. As the meltdown has began, the snow on the trail softened dramatically and staying on the hard pack snow that remains was like walking on a balancing beam—if you stepped off, you were knee high in snow in some parts, waist deep in others. I had my snowshoes on me and they made very little difference as there were parts where I was literally crawling along the trail as secure footing was absent. I’m sure it would have been a sight to see but I had the place to myself. I took the counterclockwise route up as there was a sign declaring that the lower bridge was out (but caution tape blocking off the route was torn apart) and around the 9.8 mile marker (counting down) I lost the trail completely under the snow. I wandered a couple hundred feet off course following what I thought was the trail but it stopped abruptly and left me scratching my head. This app actually saved my a** and my hike as I was able to use it to reorient myself and to rediscover the trail. It was definitely a stunning but trying hike in these conditions. I would wholly recommend holding off until the summer if you intend on fully enjoying the formations at the top. That said, stunning views and incredible rock formations with a sense of serenity that cannot be replicated.

Nesa Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Nov 21 2018
Hiking

I have been wanting to do this hike for the past 2 years and was finally able to do it the end of September. I am so thrilled (to this day) that we did this hike! It was beautiful!!! My husband and I did this hike in 8 hours! Total miles tracked on our watches was 16.3 miles round trip (started in parking lot), we did get side tracked (lost) a couple times. I am not in super great shape but I do love my hikes; it's a total heart thumper going up! I still don't know how we did 16 miles in 8 hours. In the beginning of the trail, we thought the bridge was out, going to the left in the beginning, but we stuck to it and it wasn't closed off (even though there was a little sign/post saying it was). The markers around the 8-9 mile mark started getting a little sparse but we followed the inukshuks that we saw and they got us to the shelter, around mid point. It's not a huge shelter but it's good for a break from cold weather! I had originally thought there were only 6-7 Tors on this hike, OOOH MY GOODNESS was I wrong!!!! They were everywhere along the top! I wish we could have camped out up there, to check them all out, but time didn't permit. I really felt like we were on a completely different planet and the mountain views were amazing. The trip down, we got a bit lost. The sign in the middle of the last flat area was turned around so we walked past it, thinking it was just the sign for the people coming up on that side. Again, going down, the markers were sparse and some were hidden pretty well but we made it out of there!!!! I will definitely do this trip again!!! I think it is totally worth the time to try, if you're in the Fairbanks area.

Jason Lyons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 18 2018

The first bridge to go clockwise was out, so it seems I stayed right and took the hard way. very steep climb that just kept going. I could see the tors, but couldn't really get to them. It was beautiful, but I have now idea how long this was since everyone seems to say different numbers here. It took me 90 minutes coming down the hill from where I stopped and I was going at a pretty fast clip.

Derek Donahue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 07 2018
Hiking

**This hike is NOT 2.1 miles** If you want to see the rock stuff from the feature picture, you need to hike at least 4.5 miles out (we turned around because we didn't have the energy to go any farther). Read the sign when you get there: This is a 15 mile hike. Nevertheless, we did this in the rain and it was beautiful!

Brittaney Nicole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 27 2018

Originally went to do the 3 mile loop, but that was closed. Apparently it’s been closed for quite some time. We continued up from that point for about an hour and a half. It’s nice, but nothing amazing.

Ingmar Wein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 25 2018

Did the full 15 miles (27km) in one day. Totally worth it, the view with the granite tors is spectacular! :) Hikes it clockwise which was a good idea, that way the steepest section of the trail will be downhill.

Brian Kolb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 21 2018
Hiking

Took the wife and kiddo for this challenging yet beautiful trail. Did not plan for a 15 miler in one day but it was certainly worth it. We went up the west loop and back down the east loop and it took around 8 hours. Other than the mosquitoes and swampy areas it was a great hike with a wide variety of terrain. I suggest leaving early and bringing plenty of mosquito repellent and water. Enjoy your hike.

Matthew Brodsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 16 2018

Did all 15 miles in one day! Great hike, challenging at points

Mandala M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 07 2018
Hiking

This was my first hiking trip since moving to AK this year. I had 2 large dogs with me (a Mal and a GSD), and we hiked the short loop up to the point the loop is closed and we had to turn onto the East side of the long loop trail. It wasn’t as clearly marked as I’d have liked, so we turned back and went the entire West side of the long loop trail. It was beautiful, but the ascent/descent on such narrow and rough trails isn’t for the inexperienced hiker. Overall, it was a beautiful day, and we will definitely be going back regularly to explore further.

Alissa Baldock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 28 2016
Hiking

Beautiful area, well maintained trail. Makes for a good, long day hike, took me about 6.5 hrs. Trail is quite soggy in some areas from all of the recent rain but it made nice watering holes for my dog.

Bryce Kies
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 28 2016

well worth the hike to climb around on the tors!

Suite Chick Clovis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 30 2016
Hiking

Gorgeous views, the Tors are worth the effort. Moderate hike, but close to being difficult. Do not take the counter-clockwise route, it is super steep to climb. Take it clockwise to climb down the steep section. Take plenty of water and snacks. If taking dogs, make sure their pads are used to the tough terrain or put boots on them. Sunscreen is a definite if you are prone to sunburn. And take lots, and lots of pictures, it's just a spectacular view.