Granite Tors Loop Trail

Granite Tors Loop Trail is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairbanks, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,336 feet Route Type: Loop

Have done it twice now, both times as overnights with packs. Love it! I cannot say enough about the views at the top and watching the sun go down and then waking up to that vista, woah! The only real difficulty, beside the tough grade, is the lack of water access at anywhere except the parking lot. even the water barrel for rain at the shelter isn't collecting enough/any. So we learned the hard way last year to bring your water with you. That was rough for that first day. that's a lot of water for two days and meals to home up. Our preference is to hike counterclockwise and go up the steep side. After some effort you are right in the Tors. If you come the more gradual side, you'll have to hike another 30-45min before you reach your first Tor. Enjoy, take water.

This is 15 miles at least and not 14.1 as all trails suggest. I did this hike yesterday(5-27-19), started at 9 and ended at 4. It was fantastic, gorgeous with little rain. If you are in in good hiking shape, this will be no problem, but if not, you will struggle..Well maintained trail for the most part and a shack to rest in about 8 miles in. I couldn't recommend this more.

This was a great hike, witness the trail conditions for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjLPGaxHC7A

I hiked all 15 miles of this monster 3-17 and it was absolutely brutal. Do not take the time frame for recommended use lightly as the snow on the trail made this a 9.5 hour hike for me. As the meltdown has began, the snow on the trail softened dramatically and staying on the hard pack snow that remains was like walking on a balancing beam—if you stepped off, you were knee high in snow in some parts, waist deep in others. I had my snowshoes on me and they made very little difference as there were parts where I was literally crawling along the trail as secure footing was absent. I’m sure it would have been a sight to see but I had the place to myself. I took the counterclockwise route up as there was a sign declaring that the lower bridge was out (but caution tape blocking off the route was torn apart) and around the 9.8 mile marker (counting down) I lost the trail completely under the snow. I wandered a couple hundred feet off course following what I thought was the trail but it stopped abruptly and left me scratching my head. This app actually saved my a** and my hike as I was able to use it to reorient myself and to rediscover the trail. It was definitely a stunning but trying hike in these conditions. I would wholly recommend holding off until the summer if you intend on fully enjoying the formations at the top. That said, stunning views and incredible rock formations with a sense of serenity that cannot be replicated.

I have been wanting to do this hike for the past 2 years and was finally able to do it the end of September. I am so thrilled (to this day) that we did this hike! It was beautiful!!! My husband and I did this hike in 8 hours! Total miles tracked on our watches was 16.3 miles round trip (started in parking lot), we did get side tracked (lost) a couple times. I am not in super great shape but I do love my hikes; it's a total heart thumper going up! I still don't know how we did 16 miles in 8 hours. In the beginning of the trail, we thought the bridge was out, going to the left in the beginning, but we stuck to it and it wasn't closed off (even though there was a little sign/post saying it was). The markers around the 8-9 mile mark started getting a little sparse but we followed the inukshuks that we saw and they got us to the shelter, around mid point. It's not a huge shelter but it's good for a break from cold weather! I had originally thought there were only 6-7 Tors on this hike, OOOH MY GOODNESS was I wrong!!!! They were everywhere along the top! I wish we could have camped out up there, to check them all out, but time didn't permit. I really felt like we were on a completely different planet and the mountain views were amazing. The trip down, we got a bit lost. The sign in the middle of the last flat area was turned around so we walked past it, thinking it was just the sign for the people coming up on that side. Again, going down, the markers were sparse and some were hidden pretty well but we made it out of there!!!! I will definitely do this trip again!!! I think it is totally worth the time to try, if you're in the Fairbanks area.

The first bridge to go clockwise was out, so it seems I stayed right and took the hard way. very steep climb that just kept going. I could see the tors, but couldn't really get to them. It was beautiful, but I have now idea how long this was since everyone seems to say different numbers here. It took me 90 minutes coming down the hill from where I stopped and I was going at a pretty fast clip.

**This hike is NOT 2.1 miles** If you want to see the rock stuff from the feature picture, you need to hike at least 4.5 miles out (we turned around because we didn't have the energy to go any farther). Read the sign when you get there: This is a 15 mile hike. Nevertheless, we did this in the rain and it was beautiful!

Originally went to do the 3 mile loop, but that was closed. Apparently it’s been closed for quite some time. We continued up from that point for about an hour and a half. It’s nice, but nothing amazing.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Did the full 15 miles (27km) in one day. Totally worth it, the view with the granite tors is spectacular! :) Hikes it clockwise which was a good idea, that way the steepest section of the trail will be downhill.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Took the wife and kiddo for this challenging yet beautiful trail. Did not plan for a 15 miler in one day but it was certainly worth it. We went up the west loop and back down the east loop and it took around 8 hours. Other than the mosquitoes and swampy areas it was a great hike with a wide variety of terrain. I suggest leaving early and bringing plenty of mosquito repellent and water. Enjoy your hike.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Did all 15 miles in one day! Great hike, challenging at points

Thursday, June 07, 2018

This was my first hiking trip since moving to AK this year. I had 2 large dogs with me (a Mal and a GSD), and we hiked the short loop up to the point the loop is closed and we had to turn onto the East side of the long loop trail. It wasn’t as clearly marked as I’d have liked, so we turned back and went the entire West side of the long loop trail. It was beautiful, but the ascent/descent on such narrow and rough trails isn’t for the inexperienced hiker. Overall, it was a beautiful day, and we will definitely be going back regularly to explore further.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Beautiful area, well maintained trail. Makes for a good, long day hike, took me about 6.5 hrs. Trail is quite soggy in some areas from all of the recent rain but it made nice watering holes for my dog.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

well worth the hike to climb around on the tors!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Gorgeous views, the Tors are worth the effort. Moderate hike, but close to being difficult. Do not take the counter-clockwise route, it is super steep to climb. Take it clockwise to climb down the steep section. Take plenty of water and snacks. If taking dogs, make sure their pads are used to the tough terrain or put boots on them. Sunscreen is a definite if you are prone to sunburn. And take lots, and lots of pictures, it's just a spectacular view.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fantastic trail, and well maintained.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My favorite hike to do in the Fairbanks area

Monday, October 05, 2015

I love this horseshoe loop! Careful early summer there will be deep snow in the saddles...

Sunday, May 25, 2014

We just did this one. Went up to the 4 mile stop and went back. Would have liked to go all the way at least once but we couldn't take it lol. It was great but not very pretty sometimes from the fire.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

We took the path to the right and later found out it was the hardest route to take. We went to the 4.5 mile mark so ended up doing 9 miles with two little ones. It was super muddy still but was great! We will go back but will take the other route this time since it's supposed to be the easier route.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

We did this trail a week ago and it is just before break up. Lots of snow on the trail still but it was packed down good until the split for the three mile and the tors. Then it was deep. Would be a great cross country ski or snowshoe trail as well. Can't wait til summer to do the whole trail and some back country camping with our daughter. It's a good place for a starter cause your not too far out there that in an Emergancy someone can't go for help.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

I completed the 3 mile loop (which was closer to 2 miles). This was a nice easy hike and should be easy enough for small kids. Bug spray is a must in the warm weather! I hope to complete the full 15 mile loop soon.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

This is one of my favorite trails to hike in the Fairbanks area. This trail winds through 15 miles of Alaska wilderness. The trail takes you along streams, through spruce and birch, along ridgelines with beautiful panoramic views, and most notably the giant granite rocks known as "Tors". The "tors" are what make this hike worth the trip. Seen on the horizon they do not look very big but once among them you can truly appreciate their size. If you are a rock climber then you have come to the right place. The only bad part is the closest "tor" is about 7 miles from the trailhead. At any rate this is a great trail for both hikers and climbers in the summer and snowshoer's and skiers in the winter.