Grandchild Peaks is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a well-marked albeit muddy climb with beautiful views.

Was on my way to disc golf when I decided to do this trail instead. Only had running shoes with me haha, def bring boots as it tends to get pretty muddy at parts. Loved this trail, I was the only one out there today and it was so peaceful. If you don’t plan on camping at near the top I’d recommend starting earlier than later. I started about 2pm and by the time I’d gotten back to following the creek it was rather evident the bears were out as there were multiple fresh piles on the trail haha, also the road to the trailhead closes at 9pm so def be down before then or your car will get booted apparently. First 2 miles are simple and flat, very beautiful along the creek. The rest of the way is up and I mean up. Felt like there was about 2500 hundred feet of gain in around the next 2 miles. Views are worth it and there are some great soft spots to just lay around up near the top :)

wow I did this hikeon june 19th 2018. it starts off with a mile and a half of following a old road. it gets narrower and narrower and eventually crosses the river where you follow for 3/10s of a mile then look to your right and see obscure little Trail that goes straight up. Find the rope pull yourself up, and climb for the next two and and a half miles in thick old growth forest. you reach a little meadow then climb 2 more miles up into trees and hit the first summit point. it opens up and you can see all around you if it's clear day. the peak is right in front of you and the ridge you follow is on the right. I would recommend you do this hike on a clear day because you can see so much more around you and the views are spectacular. .

Monday, July 01, 2013