Gold Cord Lake is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is located by the Independence Mine in Hatcher Pass. The trail is easy and fairly straight until you hit the boulder field where you will find some switchbacks as you gain elevation. It is easy to follow and in good condition. There is an old cabin along the trail and a boulder field towards the top that is very easy to manage. At the top, there is a crystal clear tarn and lots of places to relax by the water. Wildlife consists of birds and marmots.

july 2017 the trail was good, dry. the day was cloudy and warm. the trail was not over crowded. however, I was terrified of falling down the mountain side, both on the way up and down. we made it and every bit of the fear was worth the surprise and beauty of the beautiful clear lake, the surface was smooth as glass reflecting the rocks, mountain and sky. it was indeed awesome; took my breath away.

Love this trail! Kid and dog friendly. It rained the whole hike, there was no snow. Very wet and slippery.

Hiked it with two 4-year-olds and they did great!! Definitely a great trail for families with young kids.

We hiked this in the rain Saturday afternoon with a 3 year old and 6 year old. They hiked the whole way without any issues. Some parts were a little muddy and slippery, but not too bad. We will do this one again when its not raining.

walked up with the kids beautiful and totally worth the rock climb the lake at the top is spectacular!!

Easy trail to the pond above Great view at the top Easy start then a bit rocky Had to hold the five year olds hand on the rocks but she did well

Pretty easy with a narrow trail and steep drop near the top. Watch the kids.

nice trail with an amazing lake at the top

Great little hike/uphill walk up to a beautiful mountain lake - definitely huge rewards for minimal effort. I was able to do this easily (despite being relatively out of shape) with an 8 week old infant in a Baby Björn. Trail was very easy to follow.

It was a great hike for s family day! The drive alone was spectacular. I imagine r me alone could have easily ran up and down the trail. My clumsy 3 year old managed the trail with some assistance.

My husband, myself and our 2 kids (teens) accomplished this hike and we are so glad we did. the views the entire way was beautiful. We stopped at the old cabin on the way up. The rocks were a challenge we didn't forsee with this trail being rated as easy but we made it anyway! One in our group was a bit intimidated by the slope on one of the rocky parts because of a fear of heights. Once we reached the lake, we didn't want to leave. We found heaven in Alaska!

trail was not really easy or maybe I'm just that out of shape! but it was a wonderful trail and the lake at the end was beautiful.

It was not an easy hike as it was all up hill but definitely worth the hike

By far one of my favorite hikes, an easy one for kids and the whole family. There is a beautiful lake at the top. Love this one. Only thing to keep in mind is that the gate shuts at 6:00 so you can’t be parked up in the independence mine parking lot past that time.

Great hike with nice boulders along the trail in Alpine meadow.

Nice Trail

Trail is awesome so I gave it a 5 Star! However they are locking the gate at 6:00pm so if you don’t want to hike the extra mile+ up to the trail head, get there early! Took us about 3 hours with lots of stops for pictures and enjoying the view!! Polar plunge in the lake if you want to cool off, but it’s cold like 32.1°

Beautiful short hike! I would not rate it as easy though. It has some elevation and chunky rocks to climb over. Easy for kids, but probably not "easy" for unsteady folks.

Great view and wonderful nature! Easy hiking for everyone.

Lovely hike for nature scenery and photo shoot. Would definitely come again except at an earlier time if you drive through the gate, it does lock up at 6 pm. Otherwise I would recommend it for anyone.

Easy with great swimming at the end

This was a great trail. Hiked it today with my husband and two kids (5 &3). It was hot, but the lake made all the heat well worth it!

Absolutely amazing trail!! Going up is a little bit difficult, but once you get up to the lake the views are definitely worth it.