Gavan Hill Trail

Gavan Hill Trail is a 11.1 mile out and back trail located near Sitka, Alaska. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Steps wether stone or wooden are nicely spaced. Much better than Verstovia trail. I'm sorry to say. Top views are panoramic in places.

It was the perfect day for a hike in Sitka. I'm a flight attendant and hiked Gavan Hill Trail on my layover. I was a little leary of bears but felt completely safe going alone. If you don't like climbing stairs find another hike. Holy Great Wall of Sitka!! Stairs for days! View is amazing and completely worth it. Didn't make it to the very top because of snow. I highly recommend this adventure!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sunday, August 21, 2016

For the most part it was easy to follow with lots of built in stairs made of wood or rock. Occasionally there were spots that were difficult to navigate. Once at the top of the hill the trail is more level and the epic views begin. An hour and a half got me 2600 ft. and about 3 miles.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Awesome Trail. Spectacular views at the top. One of the best maintained I've hiked. More stairs than a Chinese monastery.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Awesome hike. This beautifully maintained trail starts near downtown Sitka and climbs the hill overlooking town. The trailhead is at the end of Baranof Street. It's a strenuous climb. If you hike far enough (I think about 5 miles) there is a warming hut to escape the rain.