Learn more

Flattop Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(925)
Chugach State Park

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,430 feet Route Type: Loop

This is an awesome hike in Anchorage with incredible views the whole way up! Note: Near the summit is a rock climb and with the snow it can be very tricky and dangerous. If you have young kids wait until the end of May or beginning of June to go.

Sick trail! Hardest steep peak at the the last 20 minutes! :)

The views on top are breathtaking, but definitely not a beginner level hike, For me it is moderate to difficult.

It was a good evening hike forgot to turn on the record guess I will have to go back

Amazing hike! great views of Anchorage, sleeping lady, and more. It is a difficult hike. Like everyone else's said, it gets tricky at the end with the rock climbing- espically coming down, so be warned. I would call this hike difficult. It's not "strenuous", but I wouldn't call it "moderate", either.

Great Hike. Easy if you keep to the trails minus the final climb.

fee

Awesome hike as always, but the wind today was rough at the top!! My two large dogs did just fine on the scramble, but it can be a bit steep.

forgot to record half way down! lol

It was crazy windy at the top. Also it’s was sort of difficult to find a distinguishable trail in the rocky area. But proper footing and taking your time, it’s so worth it! No one made fun of me when I fell or took a wrong turn

Amazing Views at the top! One of my favorite hiking trials in Anchorage Alaska. Sometimes there’s a lot of people at the beginning but keep hiking up to the top

Love this hike. Do it every year.

recorded Flattop Mountain Trail

fee

Rocky at the top but beautiful hike. Wish people with dogs would pick up their dog poop and stop leaving the bags of poop along the trail.

recorded Flattop Mountain Trail

Great accessible trail. I did this trail once with my 5 year old son, but was insure if he could make it up the scramble at the end so we returned back. Have now completed a second full run by myself and I will return with him to go to the top now that I have done the route. Great view at the top!

fee

Great trail! This is probably my favorite hike yet. The last bit of it is quite the scramble though as there really is no trail you kind of just have to rock climb to the top. But the rocks are stable, you’re not climbing loose gravel so it is absolutely worth it!

great!

Went up the backside of the trail. Really fun! I liked the back trail much better than the front trail.