Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked on 2-10-2018 for the first time. Just moved here from GA, no experience with hiking at all. This was our first hike here in Alaska.

It took my boyfriend and I about 3 hours to complete. We brought our 10 month old in the baby backpack. We kept a nice slow pace, pushing through a couple times on the steeper parts. Weather was nice, however the sun was not out this day. Once we got about 100 yards to the summit I decided to hang back on the rocks with baby. Basically 2 options to the summit - fresh deep snow or rock scrambling. I was not comfortable with either. Boyfriend did reach the top. It started snowing and was quite foggy at this point. Still a beautiful experience. We wore our micro spikes for extra traction - not much ice at all. However we found ourselves wishing we had trekking poles. Met 5 pairs of hikers along the way, 3 of those brought their dogs along. It was a great time.

great hike , a lot snow , some parts icy but I general great hike and the view amazing!!

It’s a nice trail..tons of berries and gorgeous landscape

Great Hike with great views of Denali on a clear day, the top had a little rock scrambling. Some young GIs had climbed the same day to change out the american flag.

nice steady climb. scenic views overlooking anchorage and fire Island. watch for loose rocks towards the end.

Hiked this trail in June of 2015, not too difficult but pretty steep as you near the top, and looser rocks too. It was a nice hike and offered a good view of Anchorage.

great. snow there on the top of Mount.

So living in anchorage I usually avoid this trailhead. It attracts lots of tourists so it’s a little overcrowded for my taste, but still a great hike. I went mid day during some crappy weather, and so glad I did! Not many people were around and the “rain” was just light showers that would come and go and the clouds would part, didn’t even need my hood on..yet anyway. Beautiful colors since it’s towards the end of fall, steady incline in the beginning but i wouldn’t say it’s too hard. Lots of stairs before hitting the rock climbing. There was snow at the time and started snowing while I
Was up there. Absolutely amazing and glad I took my chance. Still had nice views when the clouds would part. The hike was just a blast

Great trail, watch your step and bring water
views are amazing

Highly-trafficked but very accessable. bring a hat and jacket for the top as it can get very windy! Great views on the Inlet and beyond on a nice day. I recommend doing this trail as a sunset hike, bring a headlamp and avoid to crowds for a golden-hour view of the Chugach. It isn't a long hike but it is moderately strenuous during the last ascent. Make a day of it and explore the ridge lines beyond Flattop towards Ptarmigan

awesome trail with incredible views

Sweet trail. Tough near the top. Awesome views!

Fantastic trail and the views are incredible.

Views at the summit were incredible. The last section past the 2nd saddle was a scramble, but the effort is well worth it at the top. Go early to avoid crowds.

Great hiking

Fun trail with fantastic views. Lots of people and dogs (and poop) on this trail. Blueberries, crow berries and even a few twisted stalk berries in mid August.

first hike in Anchorage/Alaska and was a great choice. I'd say moderate to hard not on difficulty but just on the steepness of the grade with some more bouldering to finish at the top. quick and great views of Anchorage if the weather is generous

Nice little hike with a bit of a difficult scramble at the end, but totally worth the view at the top! Good amount of wildlife including moose, unfortunately it is very highly trafficked and peoples' music/noise sort of spoiled the nature for us. Good hike for those wanting to get into some more difficult climbs!

Great trail for athletic dogs and humans. The trail is split into 3 main parts. The beginning is straight forward and basic, there is about a half mile of railroad ties, followed by a place to rest, there is then a rock scramble until the top of the mountain. Overall- a great trail for a moderately experienced hiker.

Go when visibility is good, otherwise you are just out for a hike when the reward at the top is the near 360 degree view of Cook Inlet, surrounding mountains, volcanoes, Anchorage and beyond. There is a fee for parking, but it is very convenient and credit cards can be used for the small fee. There is also a webcam of the parking lot to check availability of parking. Get out early, even if its a little cool because the parking lot and trail can get busy. Many tourists will come up and walk out to the lookout area which has a nice path and can be walked by anyone. The trail splits off in two directions for those wanting a longer hike back into the valley.