Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loved it! Little slick but nothing we couldn’t handle, had to turn around through the wind made the baby too cold in her carrier.

great hike, some rock climbing last 200 feet or so, worth it.

Wow! A little strenuous, but worth the view!!

Seems like a lot of potential in this trail, but not during inclement weather. Had to turn back because most of the trail is very exposed and the wind was brutal. Will try again another time. $5 parking FYI.

Great go to hike if you need a quick/short hike workout.

Amazing like always

nice hike close to town. beautiful views.

The last 200 feet is very difficult. I got to see some moose on a side trail and the view was outstanding. It was a heavily trafficked trail, but I knew that going in, from the other reviews. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a challenge.

Good views like every other mountain in the state, this app labels it as hard but it’s definitely not. It should be rated as moderate.

All the stairs got me a little winded. After that though, it's like a choose your own adventure, scrambling up all the rock. Definitely flat at the top, hence the name. Went on a beautiful bluebird day and got views of everything from Iliamna to Denali. (of course, you can get that from the parking lot too... :P) Sept 8, 2018. Took me about an hour and a half to get from parking lot to the top, including breaks.

It was a fun scramble at the top but too many people. 1 hour and 15 minutes total up and back.

I don't think I would necessarily classify this hike as 'hard' but I also did it on an absolutely perfect day in terms of weather conditions. It would certainly be more challenging in poor weather or with small children.
Very busy trail but that was also probably increased due to the great weather and time I went (late afternoon on a Saturday).

made it 2/3 of the way with old dogs, it was raining, and we were concerned with wet boulders for the rest of the way up. but it's gorgeous at where we stopped

Not easy
But fantastic views

We didn't make it to the very top, but we got pretty close. We caught a ride with the bike shop downtown (Flattop Mountain Shuttle they were great, 5 stars for them too!) and had to turn around early enough to catch a ride back. Hard trail but fun, we'll have to try it next time we're in Alaska. Be sure to have your mountain goat shoes on!

Difficult hike especially with a bunch of snow but wonderful view from the top!

Hikers in the mist. Wet, cloudy, and slippery conditions. Upper 1/3 is challenging but on a clear day would be very worth it.

Hard but so worth it! This was amazing.

This was a fun hike. I'm afraid of falling, so not only did the hike down take twice as long as the hike up, but most of the first part of the descent was done on my bum. The climb on the last part wasn't well marked. Fabulous views.

What a fun trail! That last bit up to the top was an absolute blast, but it’s no joke - we definitely had to use our hands and coming back down was even trickier. Just be careful and take it slow! We did this trail on a rainy, foggy day - I don’t really recommend this, as the trail isn’t very well marked near the top and those rocks are challenging enough without the rain. But it did mean that we had almost the whole trail to ourselves, and the fog made it eerie and moody and beautiful. Even though we didn’t get the views, it was like we were on another planet with all that fog enveloping the mountain. Gorgeous! Keep an eye out for the orange paint markers on the boulders to help you find your way. Our legs were shaking by the end of the hike and it was absolutely worth it!

Great hike. The first 3/4 is realistically moderate the last 1/4 is hard, but completely worth the view. The trail has a couple routes you can take as well. Great way to see the town of anchorage. Wind can get crazy but it’s fun. Well traveled so you won’t be alone

Nice easy start then quite the “goat climb” to the top beautiful views all around saw a Dall Sheep that crossed the trail ahead of me. 6 Bald Eagles circling over head and a huge bull Moose off in the distance

Amazing views from the top and is challenging getting back down over the rocks. Fantastic hike!

It was pretty but a short hike.

Great trail. Tough

Great hike!

Quick steep hike very busy as well. The scramble to the top is fun and some great views from the top!