Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

All the stairs got me a little winded. After that though, it's like a choose your own adventure, scrambling up all the rock. Definitely flat at the top, hence the name. Went on a beautiful bluebird day and got views of everything from Iliamna to Denali. (of course, you can get that from the parking lot too... :P) Sept 8, 2018. Took me about an hour and a half to get from parking lot to the top, including breaks.

It was a fun scramble at the top but too many people. 1 hour and 15 minutes total up and back.

I don't think I would necessarily classify this hike as 'hard' but I also did it on an absolutely perfect day in terms of weather conditions. It would certainly be more challenging in poor weather or with small children.
Very busy trail but that was also probably increased due to the great weather and time I went (late afternoon on a Saturday).

made it 2/3 of the way with old dogs, it was raining, and we were concerned with wet boulders for the rest of the way up. but it's gorgeous at where we stopped

Not easy
But fantastic views

We didn't make it to the very top, but we got pretty close. We caught a ride with the bike shop downtown (Flattop Mountain Shuttle they were great, 5 stars for them too!) and had to turn around early enough to catch a ride back. Hard trail but fun, we'll have to try it next time we're in Alaska. Be sure to have your mountain goat shoes on!

Difficult hike especially with a bunch of snow but wonderful view from the top!

Hikers in the mist. Wet, cloudy, and slippery conditions. Upper 1/3 is challenging but on a clear day would be very worth it.

Hard but so worth it! This was amazing.

This was a fun hike. I'm afraid of falling, so not only did the hike down take twice as long as the hike up, but most of the first part of the descent was done on my bum. The climb on the last part wasn't well marked. Fabulous views.

What a fun trail! That last bit up to the top was an absolute blast, but it’s no joke - we definitely had to use our hands and coming back down was even trickier. Just be careful and take it slow! We did this trail on a rainy, foggy day - I don’t really recommend this, as the trail isn’t very well marked near the top and those rocks are challenging enough without the rain. But it did mean that we had almost the whole trail to ourselves, and the fog made it eerie and moody and beautiful. Even though we didn’t get the views, it was like we were on another planet with all that fog enveloping the mountain. Gorgeous! Keep an eye out for the orange paint markers on the boulders to help you find your way. Our legs were shaking by the end of the hike and it was absolutely worth it!

Great hike. The first 3/4 is realistically moderate the last 1/4 is hard, but completely worth the view. The trail has a couple routes you can take as well. Great way to see the town of anchorage. Wind can get crazy but it’s fun. Well traveled so you won’t be alone

Nice easy start then quite the “goat climb” to the top beautiful views all around saw a Dall Sheep that crossed the trail ahead of me. 6 Bald Eagles circling over head and a huge bull Moose off in the distance

Amazing views from the top and is challenging getting back down over the rocks. Fantastic hike!

It was pretty but a short hike.

Great trail. Tough

Great hike!

Quick steep hike very busy as well. The scramble to the top is fun and some great views from the top!

My gal and I hiked Flattop early on a warm summer day. When we arrived we were the only ones there and the view was so inspiring that we decided to make love. I can tell you from experience, this is a great place to view Alaska from and even greater for making love.

Great hike very near Anchorage.

it's tough but, rewarding hike. last mile is all rock climbing however, many families with little kids were able to do this hike. Views are amazing. Memorable part of our Anchorage visit.

Took my 5 year old son, 9 year old daughter, and our little dog for a nice morning hike. we stopped a few times and the kids ate lunch at the top just before the steep rocky part. We tried to climb all the way to the flag but was too steep, unstable rocky ground and I felt uncomfortable with the kids so we turned around. the last 1/3 is tough that's for sure. next time it will be a grown up trip to the top.

This is a gorgeous trail overlooking Anchorage. I would do it again only after some rain, though, because it was so dusty today that people were slipping a bunch. Be careful with dogs and small children on dry days. The views even from the halfway point are worth it!

Always enjoyed this fairly quick yet challenging enough hike, with a great view of Anchorage. The American Flag at the peak makes a great photo.

Great trail with a reward at the top. Close to town and doesn’t take too long to complete. Great views of the valley on the backside of the mountain top.

This hike was more challenging than I had anticipated but with a decent payoff. Today was quite cloudy, so we couldn't fully appreciate the view from the top but the partial view was very pretty. We spotted a moose about halfway up and someone in another group had apparently seen a few bears. It took us roughly 2 hours to complete - given the extra time to meander around the summit and go off trail in some parts. The initial 3/4 of the trail on the way up was well sanded/graveled and incorporated wooden steps throughout to help with changes in elevation. By the final upward push, the trail became much steeper and somewhat slippery requiring us to use our hands for stabilization at several points. The trail was fairly crowded considering that it is a Thursday afternoon. We were within earshot of other people most of the hike. If you prefer to hike in peace and privacy I would not recommend this trail. Overall, I would give 5 stars for the accessibility and workout but 4 stars for the crowds, non-varied landscape and $5 dollar parking.

Beautiful hike with just the right amount of challenge. Hiked all 3 peaks with adults and kids as young as 8.

Beautiful view
I had my dog and son with me
Watch out for lose rocks

I don’t understand the hype about this mountain. Super crowded, dusty, rough, slippery trail, ok views...I understand it’s convenient but if you’re willing to go a little farther outside of town the hiking is so much better.