Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

53 seconds ago

So fun! Be prepared to scramble up some rocks towards the top. Very crowded the day we went.

BEAUTIFUL! One of my first Anchorage experiences...

Recommend being prepared for ground conditions though, to feel a little less nervous about the climb up. :D

Don't give up,,good leg work out

The sans one star is how heavily trafficked it is. When I was going up as I was climbing, someone tried to go down and ended up falling down a bit where all loose rocks ended up hitting my direction barely missing my head. I should have looked up and measure caution of hikers who are coming down. Also I was a bit disappointed to find lots of cig butts and litter in the area. However the VIEW is ahhhmazing- a well deserving treat after your hard work climbing upwards! Lots of tourists are hiking so a heads up! I would suggest those who are unsure about climbing the last 100 feet to look at other hikers and study their path to make best call for your route.

I love the views all along the trail. It’s a difficult hike especially near the top but it’s totally doable if you have functional arms and functional legs.

My husband and I hiked this for the first time on Saturday, June 2nd. It was hot and sunny and the trail was busy! We took the "difficult" trail to the right, and for us, it wasn't difficult, it just had a lot of rough stairs and was fairly steep so I would rate that section as moderate. There is a flat section between the trail and the rocky ascent to the top that makes for a nice break area, or to call it quits for those who aren't into the rest of the hike to the flag, and the true "flat top". The section that leads to the top is steep and rocky. There are some sketchy areas that took some decision making to determine which route to take (this section is definitely a climb and I would rate it as difficult). It takes some amount of strength and agility and the lack of fear of heights to get through the rocky part. Once on top it is flat and you can walk around quite a ways and even meander to other trails. It took us about 2 hours and 40 minutes round trip (car to car) with a lot of time for picture taking and exploring once we were at the top. Anyone in average shape could easily go up and then straight back down in 2 hours or less. And the views are great from all areas of the trail, so even if you don't want to go all the way to the top, you will still be able to enjoy the view!

Loved the hike, my wife made it halfway at a rest. Definitely not a beginner hike. But it was an amazing view!

Great hike! Pretty easy until you near the summit, and then it turns to a scramble. Really great views at the top.

Pretty popular hike with lots of others on the trail. Starts off pretty easy at least until you get to blueberry hill and then the elevation starts gaining, there’s a few set of stairs before the saddle. The end of the trail is like a rock climb and it’s hard to find out where the easiest path is to follow. We watched a few people go before us and that helped us to know where to go! The view at the top is awesome. Definitely need to do this hike at least once.

Starts off pretty easy but get tougher as you go. The last leg is almost rock climbing but is definitely do able. Amazing view from the top.

We did this in early May and got hit by an ice storm on the way up and it was so epic. Highly recommend.

Snow in some areas still...bring a change of shoes for the ride home. Steep rock climbing last 50 to 100 feet...bring gloves. Breathtaking views! Saw a couple bears at a distance! Will definitely be back for this one!!!

The trail is rather crowded and somewhat worn but it offers a nice view of Anchorage and the surrounding area.

trail is well used by a lot of people and dogs. currently there is still parts of the trail with snow. recommend bringing extra shoes for the ride back home. windy as you near the top.
little kids under age of 10 should not finish the hike as you are rock claiming the last 100ft and you must be careful! bring gloves to put on as you are nearing the end of the summit while rock climbing,ice and snow. when you do finish the hike, views are amazing on a clear day!!!

Still a bit of snow. The top part is challenging but overall great.

great hike, last bit is good, a little challenging, climbing. there was still some snow on the trail, made things interesting in a couple places

5/13/2018. Really nice escalation of difficulty as you progress. Last 100m or so is basically easy rock climbing as opposed to hiking. Still lots of snow and mud

The views are breathtaking. There are parts that are challenging, especially the rocks at the top, but it is well worth it.

I hike this trail at least once a month. It has been muddy lately. I take extra clothing and my cramp ons.

I hiked this trail for the first time on 5/5/18. It was indeed challenging in certain parts because the snow was slushy/slippery and I didn’t have good traction on my feet. Some parts of the hike were very steep so please pay close attention to where you step. As you get closer to the top there are some wooden steps to help lift you and not lose track of the path. I recommend this hike in the summer where the snow isn’t too over bearing. The view, however, was incredible the whole way up. It was an excellent experience.

Went on 5/8/18 view was amazing as we caught some cloud separation over the ocean. Still icy and can be a bit difficult if you are carrying little children (2,4). Muddy in some spots as well. Was extremely dissapointed by all the dog poop, saw a few LEASHLESS DOGS. If you hike clean up after your animal, leaving full dog poop bags along the trail is still not cool.

View from the top is amazing. Some steep sections, can scramble up. Can be pretty busy during the summer. Would highly recommend during the solstice

Absolutely beautiful views throughout the entirety of the hike. Snow is still knee-deep in most places so you will definitely need waterproof shoes with good traction. We had to stop a bit before the summit because we did not have good enough traction for the amount of snow and scrambling required to get to the peak

Super slippery today. I had micro spikes and they didn’t help much. Some parts of the trail still have deeper snow. Amazing views. Stay to the right when choosing the loop to ascend if you want a steadier climb.

Hiked on 2-10-2018 for the first time. Just moved here from GA, no experience with hiking at all. This was our first hike here in Alaska.

It took my boyfriend and I about 3 hours to complete. We brought our 10 month old in the baby backpack. We kept a nice slow pace, pushing through a couple times on the steeper parts. Weather was nice, however the sun was not out this day. Once we got about 100 yards to the summit I decided to hang back on the rocks with baby. Basically 2 options to the summit - fresh deep snow or rock scrambling. I was not comfortable with either. Boyfriend did reach the top. It started snowing and was quite foggy at this point. Still a beautiful experience. We wore our micro spikes for extra traction - not much ice at all. However we found ourselves wishing we had trekking poles. Met 5 pairs of hikers along the way, 3 of those brought their dogs along. It was a great time.

great hike , a lot snow , some parts icy but I general great hike and the view amazing!!

It’s a nice trail..tons of berries and gorgeous landscape

Great Hike with great views of Denali on a clear day, the top had a little rock scrambling. Some young GIs had climbed the same day to change out the american flag.

nice steady climb. scenic views overlooking anchorage and fire Island. watch for loose rocks towards the end.

Hiked this trail in June of 2015, not too difficult but pretty steep as you near the top, and looser rocks too. It was a nice hike and offered a good view of Anchorage.