Exit Glacier Trail

Exit Glacier Trail is a 1.8 mile out and back trail located near Lowell Point, Alaska that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Great trail system. Paved most of the way to the head of the glacier, but then becomes rock hiking on large black boulders which can be slick when wet. Unless you hike the quarter mile or so to the toe of the glacier (which can only be done in dry conditions so you don't sink into mud and freezing glacial runoff), you won't get to see the glacier up close. The signs displaying the years indicating where the glacier was, will show that in 2005 and 2010, it was much closer to the trail than it is now. At the end of the trail, I still had to use my camera zoom to get a decent picture. Binoculars will help you appreciate the beauty and power of Exit Glacier, as well as ponder our future as stewards of nature.

Very touristy but great view of Exit Glacier.

short easy hike with amazing glacier views. crowded though, slow and novice hikers abound.

Nice family friendly walk that gives a view on the toe of the glacier

Short and informative hike up to exit glacier. The date markers show where the glacier use to be :(.

This trail was wonderful! Amazing views, wildlife, and cool weather (cooler than Texas, so we were thrilled). The Glacier and river are gorgeous.

Awesome.

The hike from the parking lot to Exit Glacier was thrilling. You don't know if the ratting you hear in the bushes might be a bear, or just an Arctic ground squirrel. But the one thing you're sure of, are the tenuous mosquitos overpopulating the trail and taking turns in biting you. So come prepared with a strong mosquito repellent spray. They don't sell them at the visitor center! I wish I knew this before going there. Other than that, this trail and the views are worth it! Pay attention to the numbers marked along the way. They indicate where the glacier was that year. You can see how quickly it melted and disappeared. It makes you realized how beautiful yet sad the glacier is. An undeniable proof of the effects of global warming and our consumerism.

Great, easy trail to get out and see the glacier. You can walk to a nice look out point or go farther and climb out on some rocks. Good for the whole family and different ability levels.

Great Trail, very easy, nothing hard or steep. Family friendly. Great views and short. You can't touch or walk on the glacier, but you can get pretty close. Bring a wind breaker because it's windy and a bit chilled. Near the top/end of the trail, it turns into loose rock/shall so watch your footing. Parking is kind of limited so you might need to circle the parking lot a few times. Tons of bugs so bring bug spray. Welcome Center is pretty cool and several guides are there to answer all your questions. Off of this trail is the Harding Ice Field if you want a longer hike.

A fun little trail. Short and you can get very close to the glacier.

Scenic and simple trail to experience the beauty and awe of this glacier. Lots of helpful rangers around to answer any questions you may have along the way

We did this hike in the snow which made it more difficult. It was off season but there were many enthusiasts on the trail. I even met some locals from San Diego. They had been stationed at the Marine base in Camp Pendleton and were transferred to Anchorage. We grouped up and headed up the trail. The snow was ankle to knee high in some areas. The Marine's helped us up on some difficult parts that were heavily packed with snow. We were not properly prepared for hiking in the snow. I did find a branch I used as a hiking stick while in the trail. We saw lots off moose poop, moose tracks and bear tracks. My guide explained that the chaffing of the trees that was located 20 feet high shows how high the snow was at one point and where the moose would eat the bark. My guide is Eskimo and a native of Alaska going back generations before the settlers arrived. Before we started the hike she showed me where the glacier was when she was a little kid. As we hiked towards the glacier the evidence of global warming became a reality. The NPS has markers also showing the reclining glacier's history. When we got to the top, I realized what an amazing hike we just went through. And the glacier was still magnificent. A true treasure. Every step and every mile to get to it was worth it. This is one Trail I would love to do again.

Nice easy hike and awesome views of the glacier

spectacular views of the glacier.

Beautiful Glacier that is easy to hike to. This hike is an eye opening one as it has signs showing how far the glacier has receded per ten years. It was indescribable to stand next to this glacier and hear it moving.

recorded Exit glacier trails