Eklutna Lakeside Trail

Eklutna Lakeside Trail is a 25.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

skiing

Directions: Take the Eklutna Lake exit at Mile 26 on the Glenn Highway, and follow park signs ten miles to Eklutna Lake. The nearest town is Eagle River.

Always beautiful no matter the weather. Lots of hiking around. Great for kayaking during summer, unless it gets super windy. Sweet trail to ride your bike on too. Close to anchorage, really good ice cream shop on the road there.

super easy, really beautiful! great trail for the family, even if you have strollers. You can also 4-wheel all the way back to the glacier.

Kayaking

We very much enjoyed our first walk on the trail. Still having the remnants of a cold we only managed 2 miles but plan to return and bike Much more of it. We also plan to kayak as the water looks very inviting! People are mostly respectful with their dogs, being mindful to leash them as they pass our young children.

My most recent trip to Eklutna S.P. and the Eklutna Lakeside Trail was a leisure walk from the parking lot. In the past, I rode my bike and my 6-wheeler. Even though the trail splits back and forth for the walkers and bikers, and for the 4/6 wheelers, I do suggest going on days when the 4/6 wheelers are not allowed on the trail. If it is a dry day you might be fighting the dust from these vehicles. You should check, but the last time I looked, the 4/6 wheelers were allowed Sunday through Wednesday. The trail is very nice for all including small children, and the elevation is mostly flat. In recent years, the lake level has been a bit low, so you can explore all the dried and twisted tree trunks and limbs along the way. I do suggest bringing binoculars so you can see the bears and sheep above.

Scenic as it gets with minimal effort

Awesome area! The lake was absolutely beautiful, great to bring your dog down to the lake and let them run around. Even saw a black bear!

easy trail for taking younger kids on. beautiful views of the lake and mountains.

I love this area! It's an easy, enjoyable walk I can do with my dog and son (under 2yrs). Everytime I go, I am amazed at the views. It's never the same!

Absolutely gorgeous! We biked it and saw a black cub.

Great day, amazing views. The water is really cold but it was worth it. Parking is limited and we had to drive in a circle a few times but only after 10 minutes we got a spot. $5 for all day parking. Animals are welcome. You can rent kayaks and bikes on site. Several trails in the area so a few options for people who want to climb elevation.