Eklutna Lakeside Trail

Eklutna Lakeside Trail is a 25.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

skiing

Directions: Take the Eklutna Lake exit at Mile 26 on the Glenn Highway, and follow park signs ten miles to Eklutna Lake. The nearest town is Eagle River.

Love Eklutna Lake. Many great hikes around here and I highly recommend staying a night or two at the Serenity Falls Hut after mile 12. Look forward to returning soon.

Beautiful hike lots of atvs and bikes but they all slowed down for those of us who where walking.

Beautiful! Gorgeous day. Kids had a great time. Views were exellent. Didn't make it the full 25 miles around the lake but had a great time nonetheless.

We rode to the end of the lake by the Airstrip and a black bear ran out on the trail towards the lake so they are definitely out there! The trail itself was easy for riding and the lake is beautiful!

So stunning! Would you 100% recommend/do again

Seemed like most people were on mountain bikes, I was one of a few people on foot. Lots of double track with sections of narrower trail. Great adventure and views that my aching feet and blisters distracted me from.

10 miles off the Glen highway and five dollars to park. It's great for trail running and biking as it's mostly level with a spectacular view the full 7 miles to the other end of the lake. The first mile the trail is mostly shared with ATVs but everyone was good about slowing down to keep the amount of dust down. After that the running/biking trail occasionally meets up with the ATV trail. Definitely worth it.

stunning views. easy trail to walk, run, hike or even bike

Foggy the whole time!! Got a peek of the mountains near the air strip. Will need to come back on a clear day . Very easy just long.

Always beautiful no matter the weather. Lots of hiking around. Great for kayaking during summer, unless it gets super windy. Sweet trail to ride your bike on too. Close to anchorage, really good ice cream shop on the road there.

super easy, really beautiful! great trail for the family, even if you have strollers. You can also 4-wheel all the way back to the glacier.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Kayaking

Sunday, July 30, 2017

We very much enjoyed our first walk on the trail. Still having the remnants of a cold we only managed 2 miles but plan to return and bike Much more of it. We also plan to kayak as the water looks very inviting! People are mostly respectful with their dogs, being mindful to leash them as they pass our young children.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

My most recent trip to Eklutna S.P. and the Eklutna Lakeside Trail was a leisure walk from the parking lot. In the past, I rode my bike and my 6-wheeler. Even though the trail splits back and forth for the walkers and bikers, and for the 4/6 wheelers, I do suggest going on days when the 4/6 wheelers are not allowed on the trail. If it is a dry day you might be fighting the dust from these vehicles. You should check, but the last time I looked, the 4/6 wheelers were allowed Sunday through Wednesday. The trail is very nice for all including small children, and the elevation is mostly flat. In recent years, the lake level has been a bit low, so you can explore all the dried and twisted tree trunks and limbs along the way. I do suggest bringing binoculars so you can see the bears and sheep above.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Scenic as it gets with minimal effort

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Awesome area! The lake was absolutely beautiful, great to bring your dog down to the lake and let them run around. Even saw a black bear!

Friday, June 23, 2017

easy trail for taking younger kids on. beautiful views of the lake and mountains.

Friday, June 23, 2017

I love this area! It's an easy, enjoyable walk I can do with my dog and son (under 2yrs). Everytime I go, I am amazed at the views. It's never the same!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous! We biked it and saw a black cub.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great day, amazing views. The water is really cold but it was worth it. Parking is limited and we had to drive in a circle a few times but only after 10 minutes we got a spot. $5 for all day parking. Animals are welcome. You can rent kayaks and bikes on site. Several trails in the area so a few options for people who want to climb elevation.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Easy walk with nice views. Ice coverage over most of lake still 4/28.

Thursday, February 02, 2017

breathtaking views!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Not a bad trail, stroller friendly

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Absolutely stunning trail, and very easy!

Friday, May 06, 2016

I love it out there. It's very busy but very well maintained and clean. The trail is extremely easy and accessible. There are several trails that fork off from the lakeside trail of you want something a bit more challenging. The area is wonderful for camping, hiking, kayaking, nature viewing, and more. Lots of great photo opportunities. Do look out for ATV's and large groups. Also people tend to let their pets off leash even though they aren't supposed to, so that can be a slight issue. Other than that this is a very nice trail to stroll along.

Monday, May 02, 2016

We've been to the lake a few times and walked and biked a few miles of the trail. Tough to bike in spots due to eroded trail. Lots of foot traffic and I didn't like the ATV's as they kicked up a lot of dust. Next time I go, I'll bring the kayaks and leave the trail to others.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! Easy but windless and comfortable (although the bugs come out after sunset in the warmer months

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Hiked out to the primitive campsites 9 miles out. There is one located by the airstrip and another one about a mile up the trail. The trail follows the lake most of the way. Beautiful views especially once you get a few miles out.

paddle sports
Saturday, July 04, 2015

Gorgeous lake. Beautiful view. Great for kayaking. The trails are nice and relaxing to walk too.

Friday, May 15, 2015

I have done this trail 3 times and I love biking it. If you go in May it isn't crowded at all. Bike trail is eroded in some areas. When you get 6 miles down some parts of the trail are hard to bike. I had to walk because of loose rock. I am not a very experienced mountain biker and found it very fun and exciting in parts if the trail.