East Glacier Loop Trail

East Glacier Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 774 feet Route Type: Loop

The East Glacier Trail is 2.8 miles long. This trail loops out and back from the Trail of Time near the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. The East Glacier Trail provides excellent views of Mendenhall Glacier from a safe distance. The lower portion of the trail is below the glacier trim-line and vegetation consists of very dense pioneering vegetation such as willow, alder and cottonwood.

Awesome trail, great views from multiple points. You can start this trail from behind the visitor center at Mendenhall Glacier, or from the trail of time. If you want to ascend via stairs start from the trail of time, if you want to ascend via switch backs start behind the visitor center.

Rain forest trail. During our late August hike, we had a consistent rain/drizzle the entire hike. However, The dark clouds made the green lush landscape pop. We traveled over a creek and since it was Salmon spawning time, we caught a glimpse of a bear salmon hunting. There are a couple of opportunities to see Mendenhall Glacier from a distance but we were not very close to it.

Hike okay. views average. pretty wet and cold most of the time (Aug)

Wasn’t a bad hike but no real good view

Nice little hike - not difficult at all, even the 197 steps at the halfway point. Well maintained trail, nice views of waterfalls, pools and of course, the Mendenhall Glacier. On the way out of the park, we saw a black bear who was fishing for salmon!

beautiful and relatively quiet (Not busy)

Trail well maintained. Lots of steps. I walked trail in reverse (glacier side, parallel to Nugget Falls Trail) which meant I was walking down the steps Instead of up them. No real view of glacier as others have noted. Nice 2 hour hike.

beautiful trail but view of glacier is limited. also pretty slippery in places. my four year old is a great hiker but I held tight to his hand on spots.

good

Fun trail, not the best views of the surrounding mountains and glacier, but still worth the trip. This trail was the least traveled of all of the trails around the visitor center. There were 5 cruise ships in port so the other trails seemed quite trafficked and this one was much quiter

Great trail, beautiful views, and not too steep but still interesting.

Great hiking trail but a little confusing at scenic overlook to find the trail again.

Great hike with great views

Really great trail, easy with pretty waterfall

Monday, August 27, 2018

This is an awesome Trail. It doesn't get too close to the glacier, but you do have some nice glacier views. It does go through some very pretty temperate rainforest. We saw some spawning Sockeye salmon in the creek, and also a family of 4 bears right off the trail.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

nice trail. not to difficult. I was a little bummed out when we reached the creek/river (that is the start of nugget falls) and that there was no access to view the falls. We really didn't get to see the glacier till the very end of the loop (started opposite of the visitor center). AJ falls was stunning! The stairs were kinda neat. the forest was amazing. Vistas were few. I give this trail a 5 out of 10.

Monday, July 02, 2018

I’ve never seen so much moss and rich green-ness ! Stunning. The hike did not give view of top of the Falls but it does trail close to the top and you can hear the roar of the water. There are a series of steep switchbacks and a bunch of stairs (over 100) — for that reason, I would rate this moderate. Took us about 2 hours (we went pretty quickly ).

Saturday, May 26, 2018

We booked this hike as a cruise ship excursion and it did NOT disappoint. Our guide, Lilli with Gastineau Guiding, provided information on the plant life along the trail as well as historical knowledge of the area. We had incredible views of the glacier and hiked past several waterfalls. One of the best parts of the hike was a hidden trail that showcased rusted ruins from a failed hydro power plant. It's a great half-day hike, with several very steep inclines.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Well worth the planning to get here! We also saw Cinnamon black bear just outside the glacier! He caught a salmon right in FRONT of us!!

Sunday, April 22, 2018

This was a great trail beautiful green moss everywhere. I think it should be rated moderate. It could just be me though, my knees are kinda bothering me after this hike

Friday, April 20, 2018

Beautiful hike. Not as scenic as West Glacier Trail, but definitely worth it. We even crossed paths with a wolf! Take the short trail to Nugget Falls. Spectacular!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Beautiful scenery and decent hike. The views of the river are limited but what you can see is breathtaking.

Friday, April 28, 2017

July 2016. Beautiful and moderately challenging. There was quite a bit of climbing, but the weather and views were amazing. Salmon was just starting to run and we saw a bear!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Great walk with plenty of steps up.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Did this hike in Aug of '15 on a cruise. It was absolutely breathtaking and I enjoyed every second of it. Definitely want to return to Alaska for more difficult trails :)

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A great hike with beautiful scenery. Keep your eyes on the woods and you might find some old mining ruins.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Easy hike with beautiful scenery!