East Glacier Loop Trail

East Glacier Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The East Glacier Trail is 2.8 miles long. This trail loops out and back from the Trail of Time near the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. The East Glacier Trail provides excellent views of Mendenhall Glacier from a safe distance. The lower portion of the trail is below the glacier trim-line and vegetation consists of very dense pioneering vegetation such as willow, alder and cottonwood.

nice trail. not to difficult. I was a little bummed out when we reached the creek/river (that is the start of nugget falls) and that there was no access to view the falls. We really didn't get to see the glacier till the very end of the loop (started opposite of the visitor center). AJ falls was stunning! The stairs were kinda neat. the forest was amazing. Vistas were few. I give this trail a 5 out of 10.

I’ve never seen so much moss and rich green-ness ! Stunning. The hike did not give view of top of the Falls but it does trail close to the top and you can hear the roar of the water. There are a series of steep switchbacks and a bunch of stairs (over 100) — for that reason, I would rate this moderate. Took us about 2 hours (we went pretty quickly ).

We booked this hike as a cruise ship excursion and it did NOT disappoint. Our guide, Lilli with Gastineau Guiding, provided information on the plant life along the trail as well as historical knowledge of the area. We had incredible views of the glacier and hiked past several waterfalls. One of the best parts of the hike was a hidden trail that showcased rusted ruins from a failed hydro power plant. It's a great half-day hike, with several very steep inclines.

Well worth the planning to get here! We also saw Cinnamon black bear just outside the glacier! He caught a salmon right in FRONT of us!!

This was a great trail beautiful green moss everywhere. I think it should be rated moderate. It could just be me though, my knees are kinda bothering me after this hike

Beautiful hike. Not as scenic as West Glacier Trail, but definitely worth it. We even crossed paths with a wolf! Take the short trail to Nugget Falls. Spectacular!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Beautiful scenery and decent hike. The views of the river are limited but what you can see is breathtaking.

Friday, April 28, 2017

July 2016. Beautiful and moderately challenging. There was quite a bit of climbing, but the weather and views were amazing. Salmon was just starting to run and we saw a bear!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Great walk with plenty of steps up.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Did this hike in Aug of '15 on a cruise. It was absolutely breathtaking and I enjoyed every second of it. Definitely want to return to Alaska for more difficult trails :)

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A great hike with beautiful scenery. Keep your eyes on the woods and you might find some old mining ruins.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Easy hike with beautiful scenery!

Monday, October 05, 2015

A fun trail with some amazing views of the wilderness and glaciers. I did this hike with a guide associated with an Alaskan cruise. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. Such a great way to get outside.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Easy trail popular with the cruise ship folks. It starts at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors center run by the USFS. A very well maintained trail with views of the glacier and Nugget Creek falls.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

The trail has a great view of the Mendehall Glacier, on the first left of the trail it takes you to the Nuggets Fall also has an extended path to A-J Fall. Best time to go is early in the morning, wasn't crowded of tourist most people end up going to the Nuggets Fall.

Sunday, August 13, 2017