Learn more

East Glacier Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(161)
Juneau, Alaska

East Glacier Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Juneau, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 774 feet Route Type: Loop

The East Glacier Trail is 2.8 miles long. This trail loops out and back from the Trail of Time near the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. The East Glacier Trail provides excellent views of Mendenhall Glacier from a safe distance. The lower portion of the trail is below the glacier trim-line and vegetation consists of very dense pioneering vegetation such as willow, alder and cottonwood.

I'd definitely rate this as moderate, given the uneven footing, many steps and inclines. We finally had a rain free morning and this was an excellent hike for that. No bears, but saw lots of warning signs about them. There is one port-a-potty available, but no running or fresh water. Signage is good and the trail is well maintained. Lots of mosquitoes if you stopped, but no bites, and I'm usually covered in them.

Really low key and nice views/lookouts on both sides of the trail - definitely recommend if you’re just getting started or looking for a quick/low key run or walk. Take some bear mace since there have been sightings lately.

I’m not really sure why this trail Is rated as easy...I’d say moderate for sure. I take the Trail of Time and hook into the East Glacier Trail from the opposite way from the visitor center so I can go up the steps...it’s just easier for me.

Perfect trail for running or for a quick hike. Fairly easy and lots of views. Has a little bit of everything you want in a hike. We did run into a big black bear the first 1/4 of a mile, he definitely wasn’t afraid of us so be alert and bring bear spray.

Great trail for a short trail run.

This trail was what Sandre and i did when we cruised to the Inside Passage before we lived here but, it was tougher then we remember! Before we got off the bus and walked on the sidewalk... this was dirt instead so things must have changed. it was longer but Sandre liked it at first but then she had to turn around because we didnt think it was THIS hard! She needs her special shoes for that and we didn't bring them. I did more after alone whic was fine but then I threw up our breakfast smoothie by a rock and went back to. Info signs of where the Ice could go in the 50's and 20's, interesting to see how it is the way it is now, the way things change! WILL come back when we bring the shoes and i dont get sick! 3 and a half stars only because we didn't see a bear yet. We love bears! :) but we treat them with respect if we see them because they are just as curious as we are of them

My new “favorite” trail !! Just did it in late March and with the temps being much colder this week, the trail has lots of icy patches. I would suggest starting from the road and finish at the welcome center. Going this direction, you will ascend the stairs. Each tread is covered with 10” of snow/ice and going up is safer and easier because you can get a footing BEFORE you load it. I wore good ice cleats on my boots and was glad I did. Don’t miss out on this winter experience... just a heads up

icy

Hit a couple icy spots but with the ice cleats, we made it through. So beautiful in the winter time in the mornings!

Awesome trail, great views from multiple points. You can start this trail from behind the visitor center at Mendenhall Glacier, or from the trail of time. If you want to ascend via stairs start from the trail of time, if you want to ascend via switch backs start behind the visitor center.

Rain forest trail. During our late August hike, we had a consistent rain/drizzle the entire hike. However, The dark clouds made the green lush landscape pop. We traveled over a creek and since it was Salmon spawning time, we caught a glimpse of a bear salmon hunting. There are a couple of opportunities to see Mendenhall Glacier from a distance but we were not very close to it.

Hike okay. views average. pretty wet and cold most of the time (Aug)

Wasn’t a bad hike but no real good view

Nice little hike - not difficult at all, even the 197 steps at the halfway point. Well maintained trail, nice views of waterfalls, pools and of course, the Mendenhall Glacier. On the way out of the park, we saw a black bear who was fishing for salmon!

beautiful and relatively quiet (Not busy)

Wed Jul 03 2019

Trail well maintained. Lots of steps. I walked trail in reverse (glacier side, parallel to Nugget Falls Trail) which meant I was walking down the steps Instead of up them. No real view of glacier as others have noted. Nice 2 hour hike.

Thu Jun 20 2019

beautiful trail but view of glacier is limited. also pretty slippery in places. my four year old is a great hiker but I held tight to his hand on spots.

Fri Jun 14 2019

good

Sat Jun 08 2019

Sun May 19 2019

Fun trail, not the best views of the surrounding mountains and glacier, but still worth the trip. This trail was the least traveled of all of the trails around the visitor center. There were 5 cruise ships in port so the other trails seemed quite trafficked and this one was much quiter

Fri May 17 2019

Great trail, beautiful views, and not too steep but still interesting.

Fri Apr 12 2019

Great hiking trail but a little confusing at scenic overlook to find the trail again.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Great hike with great views

Fri Oct 19 2018

Really great trail, easy with pretty waterfall

Mon Aug 27 2018

This is an awesome Trail. It doesn't get too close to the glacier, but you do have some nice glacier views. It does go through some very pretty temperate rainforest. We saw some spawning Sockeye salmon in the creek, and also a family of 4 bears right off the trail.

Sun Aug 05 2018

nice trail. not to difficult. I was a little bummed out when we reached the creek/river (that is the start of nugget falls) and that there was no access to view the falls. We really didn't get to see the glacier till the very end of the loop (started opposite of the visitor center). AJ falls was stunning! The stairs were kinda neat. the forest was amazing. Vistas were few. I give this trail a 5 out of 10.