Deer Mountain Trail

Deer Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ketchikan, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail is comprised of gravel sections, wooden bridges, and natural rock sections. It starts in a muskeg with a boardwalk and climbs through heavy timber into lighter timber and eventually alpine. The trail can be quite wet after recent rain, but is very nice after dry weather. Loose rocks are probably the greatest safety challenge. Early in the climbing season (May or June) one might encounter blow down from the winter storms which frequent this area. It is important to stay on the trail as there are many steep (cliff) areas which have been the demise of several unfortunate hikers in the past.

33 minutes ago

Great way to spend the day off a cruise ship! If you're coming in on a ship and are going to be to tight on time I'd recommend taking a taxi to to trailhead. We are in decent (but not super amazing) shape and it took us about 4 hours and 15 mins from the trailhead, including lots of stops for photos. Lovely views from the outlooks and the top.

Beautiful outlooks. Well maintained.

Hiked this trail at least half a dozen times in 2016 and camped at the A-frame shelter at the top. There's an outdoor head up there too. I want to attempt the 14 mile traverse but the day I went for it, it was too foggy and misty to find the trail so I turned around before getting too lost.

Amazing views and just an all around awesome hike! No matter how many times I climb that mountain it never gets old!

Beautiful at the top! One of my favorite hikes I have ever done but yea it is pretty steep on way up and down

Save this hike for a sunny day because the outlook at the summit is gorgeous! Make sure you bring lots of water. The hike down is tougher than going up. Always people on the trail and there is a cabin at the top that is first come, first serve.

My Kids and I hiked this trail in an excursion while on a cruise. Strenuous hike. We didn't make it to the top as I didn't want to miss our ship departure. Several mile hike from the dock to the trailhead. We could have had the time but watched salmon in Ketchican. I didn't have phone service to track the hike so not sure how close we were to summit. Definitely a climb but beautifully wooded.

Great views!

6 hour hike roundtrip which included walking from Tatsudas to the trailhead, geocaching, two sandwiches and a long stop at the summit. excellent hike! Definitely a tough one with a lot of stairs and uneven terrain but the views are worth it. you can see all of the Tongass Narrows, ketchikan, surrounding lakes, metlakatla, Prince of wales, etc!

Great and hard!