Point to Point

My husband and I hiked this trail in July of 2000, we flew to Juneau, ferried to Skagway, caught a ride to Dyea and hiked from there. We spent four nights on the trail; Canyon City, Sheep Camp, Happy Camp and Bare Loon. Amazing scenery the entire route; coastal rainforest, high alpine, boreal forest as well as historical remnants of the Gold Rush along the way. The Golden Staircase is a feat but well worth the effort; my husband proposed at the summit so I knew he was in for the long haul given my appearance at that point! We did encounter bears, had a black bear in camp at Canyon City, saw a sow and two cubs just past Sheep Camp and ran into a grizzly bear hiking the RR tracks out. Fortunately, none of the bears were aggressive; the grizzly however did not allow us to dissuade him from running off and won the battle of track dominance as we wandered aimlessly with our pepper spray out hoping for the best; no trees anywhere near the tracks at that point. Nothing like adrenaline to finish the last few miles. Overall it was an amazing experience we'd recommend to anyone.