Chilkoot Pass Trail

Chilkoot Pass Trail is a 31.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Skagway, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Amazing trail
Sundays and Mondays there is no train back so you have to book a plane extraction (or walk on the train tracks -> illegal).
But leaving on a Thursday you can definitely make the last train on Saturday!!

Finished the trail on July 7. Spent 5 nights on the trail, amazing experience. Highly recommended!

Completed the hike on 14th of July after 4 nights on the trail. We stayed in Canyon City, Sheep Camp, Happy Camp and Lindemen. Amazing, amazing hike! Would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested!

Best memories ! We hiked from Lake Bennett to Skagway.

Just finished on June 23rd. Lots of snow still on the Canadian side. Gorgeous views and great hiking trails

We arrived from the Czech Republic. Three wonderful days in June. Sun, snow, beautiful lakes and rivers

We had to delay our hike due to flooding in mid July. This meant we had to shorten our hike by one night. National Parks did a great job re arranging our itinerary. It was an amazing 4 days.. Lots of fog over the pass but apart from that the views were great. Highly recommend it

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Did this with my wife. it was my third time over the pass and we had perfect weather and gorgeous views. I love this hike!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Wet, cold, and flooded at the lower elevations. Pick a dry week to do the hike.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

We took five days to do this trail. Everything was great except the flooding that season had a lot of the lower part of the trail shin deep in water. It rained every day. (Hooray for rain forests!) and the loss of a star goes to the lack of a warming/drying stove at the top of the pass in happy camp. You can't call it happy if there's no stove! Haha!! The meal they serve you at the end of the trail at the train station is simple home made type food but seriously the best meal of your life!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Friday, June 26, 2015

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My son and I hiked this trail back in late August 2013. It was an amazing experience. Being a history geek, I found myself in awe as we traveled the route of the Stampeders of 1897-99. Because it was our first time and we wanted to absorb every part of the trail we hiked it in a very leisurely 5 days. We did a lot of standing around though, particularly on the last 3 days. I think 4 days is about right for someone with the same mind set as me, though It can easily be done in 3. Apart from the history, the trail offers jaw dropping scenery, particularly when you get over the pass. There is a string of pristine alpine lakes, rivers, glaciers, and incredible greenery impossible to describe. I hope I get an opportunity to hike it again someday.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stunning views with amazing history to boot. The Golden Stairs was a class 3 climb...pretty challenging if not for the orange pole markers. The trail is regularly patrolled by park rangers, and campsites are equipped with bear boxes, warming & cooking shelter, outhouses, and some have wood stoves.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Absolutely amazing trail. Took us 3 days to get from the trail head in Dyea to Bennett Lake. The trail a well diverse route through the beautiful Alaskan/Canadian wilderness. We stopped and camped out at Sheep Camp, Happy Camp, and Bennett Lake. Take your time and enjoy the trail and the history. We completed the trail in mid-June, with the late snowfall, the trail still had some snow covered spots, mainly from Sheep Camp to about Deep Lake on the Canadian side. Check in with the NPS at the trail office in the heart of town (Skagway) and check up on trail conditions. Late May and into June would be my suggestions as to when to hike it (you can avoid the crowds) but be aware the trail may be a bit more difficult. Worth everything though. Absolutely wonderful hike. It was my first overnight, long distance hike and I finished it feeling wonderful. Also, when you reach Bennett, you can take the White Pass Railroad back into Skagway (must purchase ticket before hand) which is a real treat because you get to have a great history lesson while enjoying a relaxing and very scenic train ride.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hiked this trail with a friend in 2.5 days (first night: Sheep Camp; second night: Lindeman City; third night waiting for the train the next day: Bennett) in late July 2007. One of the highlights of my life. Do not pass up an opportunity to travel this historic route.