Caines Head Trail

Caines Head Trail is a 14 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seward, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

SAFETY NOTE: It is important to time your trip around the tides. The three mile stretch of beach between Tonsina Point and North Beach can be hiked only during a tide of +3 or lower. Leave the trail head at two hours before a +3 tide to avoid becoming stranded along the way.

Starts out real easy, on pretty much a road that a jeep could do without a problem. You'll pass by a few really amazing areas where it might be fun to camp just to listen to the ocean all night long on a cliff bluff underneath some of those big tall beautiful green mossy trees. Then you'll gently descend down some switchbacks as you get closer to the beach, cross over a big bridge and pass on through the camping area. Since it is the winter, I helped myself to a little bit of chopped wood and warmed myself in the fire, well that is, after I returned from walking along the beach. I made a mistake as I timed it so that I would be walking through right as the tide was the lowest, but I'm so slow that it was maybe 45 minutes after the lowest point. So what you should do is try to hit it as the tide is NOT at it's lowest but maybe halfway there, then it will be getting better as you go. So as it was, I was scared about getting trapped like a rat on the other side, and it was already scary in some points with the treacherous smooth slippery icy rocks, it was like the land was trying to push me into the cold icy ocean at certain points. So I made it about 2 miles along the beach before turning back around, my only friend being a harbor seal who was following me along the coast, probably waiting for me to get swept into the ocean so that he could have an easy meal. The million long thin grey rocks are a pain in the butt to walk on top off too. But anyway, it was beautiful because it was snowing the whole time, a little cloudy but still had nice views, plus on the way back I found a big angry noisy ferret in the tree. Someone told me it was a marten when they saw the picture. Anyway, maybe I'll do the entire trail and update this review, but since I did most of it, that's enough for a review. Pretty easy trail, blahblahblah about the tides, and you can even have yourself a nice little rest at the camp area with a bench. Plus they're building a really nice cabin so maybe you can do that too, but I'm sure that people will always have it rented once it's available because people just love cabins.

Absolutely beautiful hike. We got lucky with the tide, but make sure you check it. We ran into people that had to spend the night without gear because they got stuck. Also, the way back on the rocks can be kind of brutal, but it's work it. You can cut a good chunk of the beach walking out, and risk of getting stuck, if you do a kayak tour.

Beautiful and accessible. Great trail

This was a very enjoyable backpacking trip with a group of ladies! Timing the beach walk is the key. You have to hit the tide just right so you are not stuck up against the rocky cliffs. We hiked out to the first camp corundum and stayed the night there. The next morning we climbed up to the old fort and down the other side to the beach on the other side. That beach was magical! While sitting on the beach and resting our legs we were treated to whales breaching and playing in the water right in front of us! We completed the loop (and getting lost at some point where the trail was grown over) and went back to camp for the night. The next day we timed the tides and hiked back. I would definitely do this hike again!

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great view at the top!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Beautiful! One of my favorites in Seward.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Monday, December 14, 2015

Great hike with lots of opportunity to enjoy gorgeous views along the way. I did this hike with my little dog back in July when the salmon were spawning and saw quite a few making their way upstream. Blueberries were just getting ripe and the trail had enough ups and downs to make it interesting yet not TOO challenging (although the first part, which is also the last part on the return trip, is a long slow decline/incline and not very "exciting" but don't give up!). Even if it's high tide hiking to Tonsina point and turning around is still worth it.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

We did this a couple times years back when we still lived in AK. You do have to time your trip so that you pass the rocky shoreline at low tide. Note that the low must be 2' or less or you are going to get wet. There is a pretty good climb up to the "Head" where the old bunkers are. From there you can hike another mile or so down to the cove on the backside of Cain's Hd. If you do get stuck out there you can call either by cell ph if you have service or vhf radio to a water taxi back in Seward. We discovered that on our first trip :0