Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Byers Lake Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Talkeetna, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 396 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Byers Lake Campground is closed for rest of 2019 due to falling beetle-kill trees. For more information, please see http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/matsu/byerslkcamp.htm Please be aware that bears are commonly seen in this area. Take caution when hiking this trail and bring bear spray.

bridge out

Husband and I decided to tackle this trail based on the “kid friendly” description and all the comments of it being a “nice easy walk”. This is NOT kid friendly. Had we known this we would have turned around before crossing over to the southeastern side of the lake. Once you cross over the north bridge the trail becomes extremely overgrown and very muddy. The trail is very narrow and the ground is very unstable. The south bridge is damaged and not structurally sound. Also very few of the reviews mention that there are signs of bears everywhere! I know it’s Alaska and yes, you are assuming risk anytime you venture into nature here, but this lake is literally a bear buffet along the southeast shore. Partially eaten salmon carcass and lots of bear scat basically line that entire side of the lake. Again, had we know this we would not have brought our little one with us. Use extreme caution on this hike and be very bear aware as they clearly are very present in this area and definitely think twice about bringing kiddos on this hike.

I ended up starting counterclockwise and connected to cascade lake trail that way. I 100% recommend taking cascade trail if you have the time. There were bits that make you breath heavy but overall a very easy hike with just a bit of easy scrambling at the top. If you can get there, you’re in for a great view to have a snack or just look out. Weather was absolutely beautifully, I stayed at the top writing for over an hour.

Very poorly maintained trail. Where we started (near cabin 6) the trail was easy and right by the lake so the view was nice. We completed the whole loop though and a good portion of the trail has so much overgrown foliage and fallen trees that you have to climb over. I was so glad I decided to wear long pants! I was whacked by plenty of branches today. Toward the end of the loop we saw a sign recommending people not cross the bridge that was needing repair. We had already crossed it way back and lived. Overall my friends and I were pretty bummed with this hike.

As of 8/3/19 all the dead/down spruce blocking the trail have been removed. That’s not to say that more of the standing down won’t come down across the trail but for now it is passable. We used all hand tools to cut and move 35 trees on the entire loop. The trail is pretty overgrown on the back side with fireweed, grass, and some devils club.

A bit overgrown but not horrible. Bring bug spray or keep moving. Fairly simple hike with wonderful views

Did entire loop. Bring plenty of bug spray. South side severely overgrown hard to see trail. Mosquitos galore on south side

closed

Trail also closed

Very nice hike, but due to the number of standing dead spruce trees from ongoing spruce bark beetle outbreak, you must scramble over and around lots of deadfall spruce here and there. That and the campground being closed due to the tree hazard means peace and quiet on the trail with no other people. Do not hike this trail on a windy, gusty day as hazard from fresh windfall is real! Many wildflowers are just exploding into bloom, and Trumpeter Swans are cruising back and forth across the lake.

We only did a short piece of the loop from the boat launch dock. Campground is closed due to hazard from trees. The forest around the lake is peppered with dead pines. We passed a few that had cracked and were across the trail. Trail is really nice though and looks like it hugs the lake the whole way.

Fri May 24 2019

beautiful day on the trail.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Fun hike! 4.8 miles. The lake is beautiful. South side of the lake trail is overgrown but not too bad to cover the trail. There is a fallen tree south of the boat ramp that is difficult to get around. Saw two different piles of fresh bear scat.

Tue Oct 02 2018

Super easy trail. Back end of the lake is a little over grown and narrow, but has beautiful of views of Denali.

Wed Sep 12 2018

Awesome trail! Like others have said, a bit overgrown on the far side of the lake, but the views were totally worth it. Beautiful area!

Wed Jul 18 2018

out and back day trips. seen some blue grouse lots of huckleberry when in season. a beautiful day here.

Wed Jul 18 2018

A great trail that is well marked and maintained. However be aware of the bugs in the summer. We managed to escape with few bites without bug nets by using off deep woods wipes every 20-30 minutes and 100% deet spray. We were also warned that bears can be especially frequent on this trail.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Nice trail until you get to the far side of the lake where brush overgrows the path a bit. Bring bug spray - mosquitoes are in full force. We walked on a cloudy day, so views of mountains somewhat obscured. Map says 5.3 miles but most in our group said it seemed longer than that.

Sat Jul 07 2018

So many bugs! This may be my own preference but I’m going to stay away from still bodies of water. It is a nice, well-maintained trail with lots of proximity to the water but for a gal that hates bugs like I do, I hiked about 15 minutes before I turned around. Also, weirdly close to recreational stuff. I felt like I was walking through people’s picnics.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Nice easy hike. Buggy but that's Alaska.