Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Bodenburg Butte is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palmer, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 669 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Note: This trail is owned privately by 2 families that request a modest $4 donation for private passenger vehicles

Fun hike, brought our 5 and 7 year old. Great views from the top!

Every Alaskan needs to do this hike at least once. Today was my third time. Fun hike with great views. A real quickie

fee
icy

This trail is owned privately by 2 families that request a modest $4 donation for private passenger vehicles. The trail in winter can be a bit challenging; especially at the very beginning. We were able to do it with both yak tracks and trekking poles. However, I would highly suggest crampons/spikes and trekking poles. Beautiful snowy view from the summit.

Great trail, short but intensive for beginners. Fresh snow made it more fun but with proper footwear it’s doable.

A little muddy but always fun

Trail is dog and kid friendly. Went with my 4 year old niece and she climbed all the stairs by herself and was doing great! Great hike, great view.

closed

Short, steep, and well worth the trip to the top. It's popular on the weekends so if you're looking to avoid crowds, try a weekday or get an early start. Or both.

Very steep in some places! But a totally rewarding hike with amazing views all the way up.

Short trail with a great view of Palmer. Great for families with small kids.

Steep trail that is not clearly marked. Lots of erosion and slick spots. Beautiful views! Definitely for the able-bodied only. Enjoy!

STAIRS. SO MANY STAIRS. pretty view but i think i died about half way through.

very busy trail, two side to hike up. ones a little steeper Than the other. great views of palmer

Fairly tough trail. Very sandy and dusty. Didn’t make it all the way up because there’s no way to do it without climbing up the rocks, at least not that I saw. Take the other Butte trail, much easier and enjoyable.

Great for hiking! A little steep, but doable. Bring water!

Absolutely loved this one. A steep uphill sand storm with the option for rock climbing at the top! (or just stick to the sand path). Roughly 1hr roundtrip of you're a moderate hike and in descent shape. Otherwise, go it slow and soak in the views of the farm, the river, and the glacier while trekking on what feels like the Las Vegas desert and it still will only take you 2-2.5hrs!

Very nice hike with beautiful views at the top. I personally wouldn’t take kids younger than 7 on this hike unless packing young ones. Go early on weekends or during the week. The trail is narrow and gets crowded on a weekend/nice day.

Wed May 01 2019

a nice short hike straight up. the views were beautiful

Mon Apr 15 2019

No signs of winter at the butte today! It was our first time hiking it and I carried my (20lb) six month old and my husband carried our (30lb) two year old, and our 3 dogs joined us. My only complaint was the amount of off leash dogs (our dogs don’t do well when approached by other dogs, especially when they are being protective of our kids!). I’m 6 months postpartum and out of shape, but this hike was doable knowing I’d go home to a hot bath! I highly recommend it! The views from the top were just stunning!

Tue Apr 02 2019

Great conditions- no snow on this side. Dry and beautiful. Hiked with two 8 year old girls, 11 year old boy and 2 small dogs. All did great!

Sun Nov 04 2018

It was a bitter cold 15 degrees up here this AM but we had so much fun! First hike in AK in the books. It was beautiful.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Pretty views, definitely moderate to hard. Had to stop every 50 feet to catch my breath!

Sun Aug 19 2018

We parked at the unpaved lot / harder side and I agree that it was a moderate hike. My wife had our dog and I had our 4-year on my back. It was pretty much straight up the entire way and got a little sketchy on some of the rock climbing sections. There were many slippery parts from recent rain so be careful (especially if you’re carrying a child). Also, part way up we stopped at some blueberries and snacked on a few. Trekking poles would also have been useful on the way down. The view at the top was definitely worth it though!

Fri Aug 10 2018

Awesome, quick post-work hike with the hubby and two bullmastiffs. It was a gorgeous sunny day and we had amazing views for minimal effort. We did take the longer, but easier, route from the paved parking lot (on Google maps it’s the “north” trailhead; at the Butte it’s the “west” trail).

Wed Aug 01 2018