Bodenburg Butte

Bodenburg Butte is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Palmer, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

There is a fee to park at the trailhead.

I love this hike!! Such a good workout and beautiful views! It does get super windy and very slick in the winter.

Very good workout. Not too long but it is pretty steep in some places. Lots of dust so you will be dirty at the end of it. The view is well worth it! We brought our dog along and he was able to do it, even climb up some of the rocks! Would definitely do it again

Good for a workout. View doesn’t change much. Footing is terrible. Not heading back any time soon.

It’s a good hike for some decent workout. Love the views from the top: 360 degree view. Only con, it’s way too dusty trail and we weren’t prepared for that; aftermath was absolutely disastrous. Wear clothing accordingly.

Whoever rated this as easy is insane. haha. Moderate at the least (if you're in good shape) and Hard if you aren't in great shape. It's an uphill climb all the way to the top. The views are gorgeous. When we got to the top the wind was so strong you had to keep your footing solid to stay on your feet!

Such a nice view from the top! Make sure you go down the same way you go up or you'll have to hitchhike back to your car....

Not easy at all! It is short though. My app said it was .77 miles and let me tell you—that is straight up! Near the horses, go to the left; at the next fork, go to the right. That is the least steep way to get up there. I love the Butte. I’m going back tonight. I’ll start on this side, descend the stair side, and then turn around and go back. That’s a great workout!

Beautiful views, but the trailhead from the unpaved parking lot is definetly not "easy". Would recommend starting at the paved lot.

GPS took us to the hard side which was really fun but steep toward the top. We decided to take the longer and easier way down which put us about 2.5 miles away from our car. The walk back to the car was not bad there is a bike path in the main road.

This was such a fun hike to do with my 4 year old who hiked the whole thing! He did great on the stairs as well and the view up top is simply breathtaking!!

Great short hike with some good elevation gain all at once. The first half of the trail is a nice easy stroll through the woods and then you hit the stairs and find that elevation. The views at the top are quite the reward. We took the path up via the paved parking lot which has a $5 fee but was very well maintained.

Our first hike as a family was the Butte!! Easy to navigate. Trail was muddy but avoidable by walking around in the grass. Decent workout great views from the top of the glacier and valley.

I wouldn't call this easy. We went up the trail from the paved parking lot. I am out of shape, and it was easy until we hit the stairs. Right before the stairs there are some benches and a beautiful view. From the stairs forward I would say this is more of a moderate hike, and well worth it. Really enjoyed the affirmation posts. For anyone who hasn't been here before, be aware there are 2 trail heads. the trailhead at the paved parking lot side is an easier hike than from the trailhead at the dirt/gravel parking lot side.

Gorgeous nice short walk it is!

Amazing trail! We hiked the “hard side” and had a blast!

Not sure if I would rate this as easy. wasn't too bad, steeper than expected for an "easy" trail.

Challenging trail for distance , mostly incline , good workout , definately loved views .

A fairly quick hike with fantastic views. We did it with our 5 year old and dog. The trail is steep and can be very dusty if its been dry or very muddy if its been rainy. There are benches at the top.

Missing one star due to dog poop along the trail and loose dogs that weren't well trained/friendly. As well as trash people have left.

It’s a short but steep hike. Visited Alaska from Savannah, GA and this was one the highlights for me. The challenge and the views were awesome, it’s very peaceful at the top.

Very fun hike, easy enough to do with my four kids (youngest is 4) but challenging enough that they feel like they really accomplished something!

A lot of people, but overall fun, a good little work out. Not the toughest thing I’ve hiked but for not doing it for a couple years I was sweating at the top. Gonna try lazy mtn today to see if that’s gonna send it.

THIS IS NOT THE EASY SIDE!!!

Beautiful views make the vertical climb worth it, but this is definitely not the easy side.

A bit more populated than I usually like but it’s a great hike if you want something quick and close to town with good views.

So I saw someone say the west side is the steep side that is INCORRECT it's the WEST side that has the stairs and parking lot. People need to keep their dogs leashed and be mindful that it's a small narrow trail with recent sightings of a bear. Also pick up your dog crap it's inconvenient to step in it. Be mindful of other people and respectful of the location, stay on the trail and don't litter. There was wrappers and garbage scattered about at the top. It was beautiful don't get me wrong. I just would like to keep it that way.

Nice, short hike. Easy to do with kids. Good for after work. The first part on the hard side winded me a bit, but was easy afterward and the view is great.

Known to locals as The Butte, the Bodenburg Butte Trail can be accessed from either side of the butte. I recommend parking on the north side of the butte which includes about 500 stairs and a more winding approach to the top vs the west side which is quite steep. From the north side take the Old Glenn Hwy to Bodenburg Loop to Mothershead Ln and park about 1/4 mile down the road in a fee area. Don't leave your car parked anywhere else but in the designated lot. If you want to take the steeper route take the Old Glenn Highway to the Bodenburg Loop on the south side of the butte and park in the designated area which is about 1/4 mile off the Old Glenn. If you go to the Reindeer Farm, you went just a bit too far. The Butte offers near 360 degree views of Palmer, the Knik Glacier and surrounding area. If it is a clear day the pictures should be fabulous. All ages are appropriate from the northern access, although, you will have to help or carry the little ones for the part where you have to use the ropes to hoist up.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

This is a moderately used short trail on private property within the town of Butte Alaska. The land owners are generous enough to allow public access to hike the Butte. There is a fee tube at the parking area, and a payment of 3 dollars per vehicle is requested. (I think it was 10 dollars for buses) The trail itself is steep and dusty, basically a strait climb up the Butte. The trail becomes heavily braided in parts but most the side trails seem to lead to the top. Depending on which braid in the trail you take you may have a small scrabble about 3/4 of the way up. At the top there is a bench and you are afforded a good view of the Kink and Matanuska rivers, the Kink glacier and the town of Butte. The top can be windy, so plan accordingly. Pet and kid friendly in my opinion.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

It's a steep climb, but short! The view is amazing!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

awesome looking at the knik glacier.

Friday, July 07, 2017

The directions on this bring you to the steeper side, not the side with the stairs. However, it's a very short hike and steep, but not that bad. Great views at the top. Wasn't too crowded, but I went on a weekday late afternoon. I can tell this trail gets crowded at times.