Blackstone Bay Vista is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Whittier, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,759 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

it's one of the toughest trails I have ever done. I am really serious about it. there are no clear path after some point. I took some completely different path and reached on the glacier from where the only big and log streak of waterfall emerges. later, I wasn't able to get down. lucky enough that we get mobile signals there and I called 911 and they rescued me. one piece of advise don't go alone and start very early in morning so that even if you missed out the trail you have enough time for trial and errors. hike has spectacular views.

This was an absolutely incredible hike. My friend and I backpacked this, and slept near the top. It isn't a very long trail, it's just very steep. There are cairns to guide you, but since most of the trail is above the tree line, you can basically go up along any path as long as the conditions are permitting. We went in mid August and everything was dry. The views at the peak are some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen, and the payoff given the hiking effort is some of the best value I can possibly think of: 5 minute drive to the trailhead from Whittier, plus a 3-4 mile hike for absolutely stunning views (which really start already 30% up the trail). I got the best photo I've ever taken on this hike, and am so happy I decided to do it. This hike is a hidden gem that most visitors have no idea about since it's not in one of the national parks or other main tourist areas, but its views are better than anything else I saw in the Kenai peninsula.

I’ve never seen it prettier in Whittier! We picked the most beautiful day to explore (July 28). The first mile is a wooded walkway. Trail is generally quiet, but we did share that first mile with lots of berry pickers! Once above the trees, the trail is less well marked. The trail follows a stream and there are sparse cairns. I used the trail map to wind my way up to the first summit. We came across a wide open, beautiful space with ponds and rock features. Beautiful view of Whittier and of Billings glacier across the bay. Proceeding up was very difficult and I don’t recommend unless you’re an experienced hiker. Not appropriate for kids. My dog did fine, but he’s 2 and has hiked a lot. We scaled between snow and a rock wall up loose, wet rock. Poles helped, but we also used our hands to secure balance on the rocks. We found a better way down. If you do attempt to go beyond first view point, follow the trail on the right on the map. It’s still steep but takes you up on softer, more forgiving terrain. We stopped when we got to the Whittier glacier, though the trail continues another mile or so up to the peak. Highly recommend for experienced hikers- give yourself time to enjoy the ever-changing views and to pick some berries!

Beginning of the trail is the horsetail falls trail, which is rather lovely and well maintained. It gets to a point where the trail fades and you make your own way up, trying to spot the cairns along the way. You really just have to try and find the least steep route, but from what I saw the steepness is inevitable. I would imagine this hike to be extremely difficult/impossible in wet conditions as the vegetation was slick even on the dry day I went up. I went up in late July and there was still lots of snowfields to cross towards the top, but didn’t sink through at all. Views are amazing! Glaciers everywhere you look.

INSANE views. (equally insane hike). As pretty much a virgin hiker, this one kicked my butt, big-time. I'm a Crossfitter, but hiking is a whole new level (I was good for like the first hour and then I started sucking wind as we headed up the rocks). Definitely take someone who has done it before, if possible. It's easy to get off the trail. Thankfully, with good views of the water and other mountains, it's not hard to find your way if you do get lost. We went with my sister-in-law and one of her hiker pals (both of them are locals and knew the way). Also, it was a toasty day (about 85, clear, and dry. YAY... however, the bugs in the forest were bad, as always. ew.) There's literally zero trail after about 0.25 miles but even the first 0.25 miles are rewarding, with waterfalls every 200 yards (probably). Follow the (difficult to spot) pink/orange tape on the trees on the way up (you'll have the creek and waterfalls to your left, but after that, it opens up and you just head UP. We took the route up basically along the waterfalls to the top. When we came down, we headed a different way, one that stopped by a "lake" fed with snowfields (which were pretty thick, despite it being the second week of July). Poles were handy while descending to the lake -- it was either scree or snow. We then followed the waterfall from the lake down -- had to head through some pretty thick brush at the bottom to find the "trail" again and follow the original creek to the road. Plenty of parking, though -- and views of the sound from the parking lot aren't half bad, either!! There's lots of water along the trail, so if you have a filter system, yay! We each brought two Nalgenes and were super thirsty at the end (we had a watermelon in the cooler.... best. decision. ever.).

Tue Jul 31 2018

View is great at the top. Lots of snow at the top in late July. Would recommend doing this hike with fresh legs. This is not a marked trail after the first mile. Follow the cairns. Two tough stretches where you are climbing mainly vertical and having to do a lot of climbing. Used the trail marked by AllTrails as a guide but not the easiest way up. Would have been nice to have poles on the way back.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Beautiful weather + clear skies + midnight sunset. Best views of my life. Trails ends early, but you can follow the cairns to the ridge line.

Fri Oct 13 2017

No luck here, weather was overcast so very low visibility. Highly recommend going if the weather is clear which is hard to tell since it can change drastically from side of the tunnel to the other... Saw a coyote and some marmots but definitely missed the view.

Thu Sep 14 2017

9/14/17. Rainy and 50deg. Unfortunately really poor visibility - would definitely recommend going on a clear day if possible. The first mile or so is really well marked - in fact you're walking on boards most of the way - but it's also really overgrown. There is an observation deck that seems to mark the end of the established trail since after that there isn't really much 'trail' to speak of, so only venture past there if you're comfortable with no trail. In most cases we found ourselves walking in the streams because the ground around was too slippery. We would have pushed on further but the visibility was really bad and just didn't seem worth it. Our total time was 2:50 and was essentially all moving - just a few short stops for photos etc. even though the moving time on the app shows closer to 2:15.

Thu Mar 02 2017

One of the best views that I've ever experienced! Getting to it involves a lot of route-finding, but that isn't too difficult above the treeline. See my "recording" for more details.