Bird Ridge Trail

Bird Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Welp, this trail is accurately labeled as "hard" as it goes pretty much straight up the whole way. Boy was it nice though. The views were great and there were plenty of good spots to take a rest. We ran into quite a few people, it was heavily trafficked. Near the top it gets really windy so come prepared for that. Great hike, would definitely recommend to hikers up for a challenge!

This is truly a hard trail. My BF and I are new to hiking in AK and have lived here for only 7 months. This trail kicked our butts and reminded us that we are getting older. We have done a couple of other hard trails but this one had us working hard the whole time! The views are beautiful and it was easier for us going up, we took regular "catch our breath breaks", but coming back down my knees were not happy. We were grateful for our walking sticks, wing breakers when we got towards the top, and snacks. There are a few false peaks that chip at your motivation to keep going. I think we made it to the second to the last peak...but I could be wrong. As novices for this type of hiking, straight up and straight down, we felt good for how far we got, we enjoyed the views. No wild animals sited but the mosquitos are out! Traffic was mild due to it being in the middle of the week. Always listen to your body and don't over do it! Enjoy the hike...for us it's about the enjoyment, nature, and views...it is never a race to get to the top :)

Did this on 4/15/2018 on a gorgeous day with an incredible view. We had a nine and ten year old with us so we took several breaks along the way. We decided to turn back two ridges from the top. At that point snow was still all over and trekking sticks would’ve been helpful. Going down was slippery and wet. About two dozen people were on the trail along with us so it’s highly packed down. Still an amazing hike and will try again this summer.

Did this 11/15/17 and it was gorgeous... Lots of snow and breathtaking views. Spikes or yaks needed..

a friend from work and I decided to try this one yesterday before the snow came. We got off work around 4 and drove out there from anchorage (30 min drive) and tried to get a workout in. mission accomplished.
great views, and although we didn't make it to the top (we were starting you lose daylight and we're not familiar enough with Alaska yet) we enjoyed it and will return to compete it.

One of my favorites so far around the Anchorage area, beautiful views all the way to the top. Fun and steep...great one for getting your heart rate up. Tracked with Apple Watch (usually fairly accurate) and took exactly 3 hrs round trip. 90 mins to the top, rested and took my time hiking a few ridges after the last peak for 20-25 mins or so, then came back down in about 50 mins. Trail ran/jogged the bottom half for a quick descent. Length was close to 6 miles via my watch instead of 4.5 but I did go past the last peak and monument. Was nice and warm for the 1st day of September and I saw 5 other hikers on the trail.

This hike was truly breath taking and extremely strenuous. It just seems like 4.6 miles but the elevation gain is truly something you should care about. The first 2500 feet just keep going up and up with almost no flat ground. As you head higher from that there are few flat spots that come along. You climb a mountain and then realise you are at the bottom of another, feels never ending. Just know that each step along the way will make you happy at the ultimate view at the top. You start seeing the mountain ranges once you clear the initial forest area. The mountain peaks are visible all along with new ones becoming visible as you near the top. There was no one on this trail except my friend and me, which was a bit scary considering we were not equipped for a bear attack! It took us 3 hours to reach the top with short 1-2 minute breaks along the way and 2 hours to get down. There were some steep spots and some less trafficked areas that make you wait and decide on a safe way up. The top has a different weather. It got windy and chilly with my phone switching off due to the wind and low temperature. Make sure to have gloves with you. Definitely worth each step climbed and the amazing breathtaking view.

Beautiful trail to hike. Lots of spots to look at the water and the surrounding mountains. Extremely difficult to hike, but worth it in the end. The trail goes at what seems to be straight up. Recommended for experienced hikers.

This hike is definitely one of the toughest I've gone on yet. All the false peaks killed my spirit a little, but once you get to the top it's all worth it. be prepared to sweat, bring bug spray and bring lots of water. This hike is beautiful though, don't get discouraged!

Hard climb up and down, but definitely worth it for the scenery.

This is a beautiful hike. Views are stunning! Definitely would consider this a "hard" hike. Wouldn't attempt unless you are in stellar shape.

Trail is currently closed due to black bear attack & death of a teen on 6/18/17.

Love this trail. I would rate it more than moderate due to the constant slope. No scrambling required, but this really stretched my legs well.

Bird Ridge was a gorgeous hike! My friend and I used trekking poles that definitely helped going down. Be prepared for false peaks. Once you get on the Ridge it gets easier ish. Peak 3 is where the survey monument.

Not for beginners or kids. This was our first trail to try after moving to Alaska, and the moderate to difficult rating for this trail leaned more on the difficult side for us. We made it about a mile and a half up before turning back (two adults with four kids). The views are amazing, but the false summits sufficed for us today.

Lots of highway noise from treeline, starts disapating towards top. Make sure to wear sunscreen, this trail is pretty exposed!
Make sure to explore some of the ridgeline behind the geodetic survey marker.

This trail will definitely test you if you are not that experienced, well worth the views though! My first hike in Alaska and it was an incredible experience!

Hard hike but keep going all the way to the top- so worth it!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

This Trail was challenging but ohhhhhh my !!!! the sites where breathe taking!!! Alaska is just so darn beautiful!!!! It starts off steep and doesn't stop!! I'm not in the best of shape, but taking breaks was a must and I made it. I met a few people up and the conversations where great. There are they say 5 different fake summits, i believe we made to one lol. Huffing and puffing you will do, I was sweating buckets. But still kept going strong. It started to rain and get a bit windy so we headed back down. It's a good day hike and with this Trail I would advice to start really early to make it to the main Summit. But again I would hike it. Great workout going up and especially coming down!!! If you having walking sticks hoooooorayyyyy!!! They saved my life!! Happy Hiking & More Adventures⛰⛰

Thursday, May 04, 2017

5.3.17 Kyle 3hrs

Sunday, April 23, 2017

This hike was challenging and rewarding. The evelvation gain was no joke and it definitely felt like more than 2.5 miles to the top. The views from the summit are spectacular and well worth the climb. Going down the trail was rough on my knees with very little switchbacks. You go down the same steep trail you ascended on. Bring water and energizing food to complete this challenging hike!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Liked it but it is going at 30 degrees for 3/4 of the entire trail. I have hiked lots of moderate-hikes. I wonder why this one is not categorized as hard. What I did not like about it was the fact that it's too close to the highway you don't get the feeling that you are lost in the wild which is what I like, as you always hear the cars.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Well marked & traveled. Not as steep as I expected for the first 2/3 of the trail. Last push to the peak was a little sketchy in some drifted snow but we managed. Beautiful views of Turnagain Arm and the Seward highway. A nice lookout only 3/4 of a mile into the trail. Enjoyed it!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Very steep hike with 5 or 6 false peaks... don't be discouraged, the view is well worth it!!! Be prepared to hike through snow, there's was about 6 inches accumulated from around 80% up.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Bird Ridge offers beautiful views the entire way.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This hike was incredible. It was extremely difficult, so it is important that you attempt this ONLY if you are in good enough shape. The whole trail was pretty much straight up, and there were multiple hope crushing false summits, but the views the whole way and the final Ridge summit view was breath taking. If you are looking for a heart-pounding, intense hike with beautiful views, this is perfect for you. We completed the hike in 2.5 hours, moving at a very fast pace.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

BUG SPRAY!! The flys during the first half of the hike are ridiculous. If you stop to take breaks, you will be swarmed by at least 100 flys. Once you get above the trees the flys are gone. This trail is worth it if you push yourself to the top. I'm no John Muir but this is the best hike I've ever done, and possible the hardest.

Friday, July 15, 2016

This hike whooped my ass but it was worth the phenomenal views. Don't bring your dog unless he or she is in very good shape.

Friday, June 10, 2016

A beautiful sunny day magnified today's views! A gorgeous hike. This was my first time completing this trail. It was tough, as others have noted. Steep and uphill the entire way. There are several false summits, but stick with it! You will not be disappointed. I wanted a challenge and it sure delivered!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

I ran Bird Ridge race style this morning. I was expecting a tough hike based on what i've heard, and I was not let down. Kicked my ass, but I never stopped chugging. Before the halfway mark, my legs and back felt like I was doing mount marathon- but probably harder due to the sheer length, prompt elevation gain, and teasingly copious false summits. The hike gains elevation extremely fast, and is uphill all the way. I would definitely recommend taking it slow if you're a beginner, because it will test your lungs and legs. Towards the summit it gets pretty sketchy with multiple boulder fields-- so watch your step there. The view once you get to the top is fantastic and worthwhile; keep pushing through and don't give up, the scenery is worth it.