Bird Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,218 feet Route Type: Out & Back

First time on the trail, my watch said millage was just short of 4 miles one way. Little bit of snow at the peak. If you live in anchorage make sure you are on the Seward highway before 10pm since the road closes due to construction until 5am. I believe this is daily until July 1st.

A really fun Memorial Day hike - the trail was well populated with various levels of hikers. If you are experienced and in great shape, this will definitely take you less time than posted here.

Trail is in great condition, very little snow or mud at the top. No bugs yet, either! If this calibur hike may prove difficult for you or you are a beginner: 1. Make sure to bring sunscreen as you are exposed for most of the way, 2. Stretch your hamstrings periodically as your knees will need some help on the way down, 3. Bring water, there are no water sources on the trail except for old snow, 4. As always, bring bear spray. Oh, and have fun! The top has a rewarding photo opportunity, have your hiking partner take a pic of you from the geodetic survey marker towards the Arm.

Just completed this hike today and I’m completely proud of my self. Definitely not something for a beginner like myself but it is doable for beginners, if you just take your time and rest every now and then you can get through it. It took us 8hrs to completely finish it. You are literally going straight up the mountain. Prepare to climb over rocks and some paths even go along the very edge of the mountain. The views are beautiful up top. You get a complete 360 view of mountains! But a little underwhelming because you do see the same mountains the whole way up. I might do this hike again but not as far as the ridge. Going down is pretty tough on your feet. Some hiking sticks would help. It is very steep and rocky. Lost footing from all the loose rocks a couple of times so be very careful. There is a little snow left up on the mountain but not much of it on the trail, it even started to snow when we got up there. Make sure to bring lots of water and some snacks.

Starts off difficult but it gets better as you near the summit. Worth the views. Coming down was hard on the knees so bring knee brace or poles if needed.

Still some snowy patches but not anything you can’t handle.

it's one of my favorites. it is all up the no reprieve.

fee

Awesome hike awesome day. I was LONG!!! Bring food and water!!!! Poles are nice but not needed.

All incline but great views the entire way. Be sure to bring lots of water. The trail is longer the estimated distance & time as a heads up.

Finally conquered this hike! And yes, it is every bit as challenging as everyone says it is, but nothing beats that feeling you get once you’ve reach the summit. There is still snow at the top, but we easily got through it in just trail runners. I also brought my poles and was very thankful I did, especially for the descent. I recommend taking a good look at the elevation gain and comparing it to other peaks you’ve hiked to really get an idea of what you’re in for before hitting the trail. Personally, I found this hike to be more challenging than Wolverine due to the constant incline and terrain. If you like hiking straight up, this hike is for you!

icy

hiked this in February so hiking poles and cramp ons are essential. super steep but gorgeous views. Would recommend hiking closer to spring as the snow was so deep the dogs were buried in snow. Also incredibly difficult to see where the trail and cliffside are when there’s a lot of snow so definitely Have to be cautious, was a little windy at the top but also foggy and snowing. one of the most epic views for an in and out trail

Great conditions. Few patches of snow near the top that can be avoided for the most part. Beautiful views

This is definitely a challenging hike. Trekking poles and lots of water are a must. It is straight up for miles, and straight down coming back. The mileage for this trail is actually closer to 6. Yes, it’s challenging, but the view from the summit is unrivaled.

Challenging, but worth it!

great hike we did it with the kids on our backs. took us 5 hrs :) super great views!

fee

Husband and I wore the kiddos for this one - So so so steep, if you like walking on the stair-master for 3 hours at a time, this is the hike for you. But the views were 100% worth it -- gorgeous in all directions. Would definitely do this hike again, but not until I forget how bad my knees hurt on the way down

Almost completely snow free and perfect!

Absolutely amazing, trail mostly free of snow. More like 3 miles to actual summit. Don’t let the reviews scare you away, the incline really isn’t that bad and totally doable for anyone taking lots of breaks!

This is the steepest hike I’ve ever done in my life. I was afraid my dog was going to fall out the trail and roll down the mountain (but she’s pretty clumsy), other people brought their dogs and didn’t seem phased. I wouldn’t say this is a trail for beginners. It is well marked and beautiful, but it is more difficult than anticipated. If you’ve done the hard side of the Butte, it’s like that on steroids and 30x as tall. A lot of snow at the top, but there’s a pretty packed down trail going through it. I think the mileage of this trail is off, because my friend and I didn’t quite make it to the top (I’d estimate 90% of the way there) and my phone tracked us completing 6 miles. Truly gorgeous, I just don’t think I’d personally do this trail again.