Bird Ridge Trail

Bird Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Did this 11/15/17 and it was gorgeous... Lots of snow and breathtaking views. Spikes or yaks needed..

a friend from work and I decided to try this one yesterday before the snow came. We got off work around 4 and drove out there from anchorage (30 min drive) and tried to get a workout in. mission accomplished.
great views, and although we didn't make it to the top (we were starting you lose daylight and we're not familiar enough with Alaska yet) we enjoyed it and will return to compete it.

One of my favorites so far around the Anchorage area, beautiful views all the way to the top. Fun and steep...great one for getting your heart rate up. Tracked with Apple Watch (usually fairly accurate) and took exactly 3 hrs round trip. 90 mins to the top, rested and took my time hiking a few ridges after the last peak for 20-25 mins or so, then came back down in about 50 mins. Trail ran/jogged the bottom half for a quick descent. Length was close to 6 miles via my watch instead of 4.5 but I did go past the last peak and monument. Was nice and warm for the 1st day of September and I saw 5 other hikers on the trail.

This hike was truly breath taking and extremely strenuous. It just seems like 4.6 miles but the elevation gain is truly something you should care about. The first 2500 feet just keep going up and up with almost no flat ground. As you head higher from that there are few flat spots that come along. You climb a mountain and then realise you are at the bottom of another, feels never ending. Just know that each step along the way will make you happy at the ultimate view at the top. You start seeing the mountain ranges once you clear the initial forest area. The mountain peaks are visible all along with new ones becoming visible as you near the top. There was no one on this trail except my friend and me, which was a bit scary considering we were not equipped for a bear attack! It took us 3 hours to reach the top with short 1-2 minute breaks along the way and 2 hours to get down. There were some steep spots and some less trafficked areas that make you wait and decide on a safe way up. The top has a different weather. It got windy and chilly with my phone switching off due to the wind and low temperature. Make sure to have gloves with you. Definitely worth each step climbed and the amazing breathtaking view.

Beautiful trail to hike. Lots of spots to look at the water and the surrounding mountains. Extremely difficult to hike, but worth it in the end. The trail goes at what seems to be straight up. Recommended for experienced hikers.

This hike is definitely one of the toughest I've gone on yet. All the false peaks killed my spirit a little, but once you get to the top it's all worth it. be prepared to sweat, bring bug spray and bring lots of water. This hike is beautiful though, don't get discouraged!

Hard climb up and down, but definitely worth it for the scenery.

This is a beautiful hike. Views are stunning! Definitely would consider this a "hard" hike. Wouldn't attempt unless you are in stellar shape.

Trail is currently closed due to black bear attack & death of a teen on 6/18/17.

Love this trail. I would rate it more than moderate due to the constant slope. No scrambling required, but this really stretched my legs well.

Bird Ridge was a gorgeous hike! My friend and I used trekking poles that definitely helped going down. Be prepared for false peaks. Once you get on the Ridge it gets easier ish. Peak 3 is where the survey monument.

Not for beginners or kids. This was our first trail to try after moving to Alaska, and the moderate to difficult rating for this trail leaned more on the difficult side for us. We made it about a mile and a half up before turning back (two adults with four kids). The views are amazing, but the false summits sufficed for us today.

Lots of highway noise from treeline, starts disapating towards top. Make sure to wear sunscreen, this trail is pretty exposed!
Make sure to explore some of the ridgeline behind the geodetic survey marker.

This trail will definitely test you if you are not that experienced, well worth the views though! My first hike in Alaska and it was an incredible experience!

Hard hike but keep going all the way to the top- so worth it!

This Trail was challenging but ohhhhhh my !!!! the sites where breathe taking!!! Alaska is just so darn beautiful!!!! It starts off steep and doesn't stop!! I'm not in the best of shape, but taking breaks was a must and I made it. I met a few people up and the conversations where great. There are they say 5 different fake summits, i believe we made to one lol. Huffing and puffing you will do, I was sweating buckets. But still kept going strong. It started to rain and get a bit windy so we headed back down. It's a good day hike and with this Trail I would advice to start really early to make it to the main Summit. But again I would hike it. Great workout going up and especially coming down!!! If you having walking sticks hoooooorayyyyy!!! They saved my life!! Happy Hiking & More Adventures⛰⛰

This hike was challenging and rewarding. The evelvation gain was no joke and it definitely felt like more than 2.5 miles to the top. The views from the summit are spectacular and well worth the climb. Going down the trail was rough on my knees with very little switchbacks. You go down the same steep trail you ascended on. Bring water and energizing food to complete this challenging hike!

Liked it but it is going at 30 degrees for 3/4 of the entire trail. I have hiked lots of moderate-hikes. I wonder why this one is not categorized as hard. What I did not like about it was the fact that it's too close to the highway you don't get the feeling that you are lost in the wild which is what I like, as you always hear the cars.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Well marked & traveled. Not as steep as I expected for the first 2/3 of the trail. Last push to the peak was a little sketchy in some drifted snow but we managed. Beautiful views of Turnagain Arm and the Seward highway. A nice lookout only 3/4 of a mile into the trail. Enjoyed it!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Very steep hike with 5 or 6 false peaks... don't be discouraged, the view is well worth it!!! Be prepared to hike through snow, there's was about 6 inches accumulated from around 80% up.