Bird Ridge Trail

Bird Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Straight up you go but worth the views at the top. Cloudy day but could wait a minute as the clouds passed in and out for clearer views. Saw no bears. A memorial bench about 1/3 the way up and abundant wildflowers about 1/2 the way up where you can expect a short break in the steep elevation climb. 2 and 1/2 hours up and 2 down with a stop for lunch on the way back.

This was a difficult trail. Pretty much straight the whole way up with few switch backs. Trail was not super well marked at times but was still fairly easy to follow. Worth it for the incredible views at the top. Lots of flowers blooming when we hiked (end of July). Took up about 5ish hours total. Definitely glad we brought snacks and plenty of water.

new to anchorage, took my boyfriend and I about 5 hours. beautiful views but you can see the highway most of the time, was great to be able to bring the dog along. didn't see any bears. no snow on the trail July 2018

This is literally 45 degrees rock climbing lol but the view at the top is worth it! It took us 4 hours to get to the top and 2 hours to get down. It was the hardest hike I've ever done

Up, and then up again. It got foggy at the top but still great views of the mountains and inlet.

Up, up, up. Feels like you're going straight up, but it's worth it. You feel accomplished and there's a stunning view, probably my favorite view of the arm. It can be a bit windy at the top.

My favorite trail...Rated hard...Definitely would say it’s accurately labeled...Pays in the end

Amazing view from the top! Pretty steep on some sections though. Not terrible on the way up but it feels like it takes forever to get up there. Right when you think you may be close you realize you still have a ways to go. Rather brutal on the knees on the way down but, over all worth it for the view. Took a little over 2 hours to get to the summit with plenty of short brakes. Would advise bringing plenty of water if it’s warm although it can get windy and chilly near the top. Was still snow on the very top of the mountain.

Difficult, but worth the pain. Not recommended for families with small children due to the difficult slope of the entire hike and rough path.

Welp, this trail is accurately labeled as "hard" as it goes pretty much straight up the whole way. Boy was it nice though. The views were great and there were plenty of good spots to take a rest. We ran into quite a few people, it was heavily trafficked. Near the top it gets really windy so come prepared for that. Great hike, would definitely recommend to hikers up for a challenge!

This is truly a hard trail. My BF and I are new to hiking in AK and have lived here for only 7 months. This trail kicked our butts and reminded us that we are getting older. We have done a couple of other hard trails but this one had us working hard the whole time! The views are beautiful and it was easier for us going up, we took regular "catch our breath breaks", but coming back down my knees were not happy. We were grateful for our walking sticks, wing breakers when we got towards the top, and snacks. There are a few false peaks that chip at your motivation to keep going. I think we made it to the second to the last peak...but I could be wrong. As novices for this type of hiking, straight up and straight down, we felt good for how far we got, we enjoyed the views. No wild animals sited but the mosquitos are out! Traffic was mild due to it being in the middle of the week. Always listen to your body and don't over do it! Enjoy the hike...for us it's about the enjoyment, nature, and views...it is never a race to get to the top :)

Did this on 4/15/2018 on a gorgeous day with an incredible view. We had a nine and ten year old with us so we took several breaks along the way. We decided to turn back two ridges from the top. At that point snow was still all over and trekking sticks would’ve been helpful. Going down was slippery and wet. About two dozen people were on the trail along with us so it’s highly packed down. Still an amazing hike and will try again this summer.

Did this 11/15/17 and it was gorgeous... Lots of snow and breathtaking views. Spikes or yaks needed..

a friend from work and I decided to try this one yesterday before the snow came. We got off work around 4 and drove out there from anchorage (30 min drive) and tried to get a workout in. mission accomplished.
great views, and although we didn't make it to the top (we were starting you lose daylight and we're not familiar enough with Alaska yet) we enjoyed it and will return to compete it.

**Finished April 8, 2018**
Now that trail is a workout! It deserves a Hard rating... Amazing views of the Turnagain Arm are your reward at the top, and the expansive sight of the Chugach peaks as a colossal backyard.

One of my favorites so far around the Anchorage area, beautiful views all the way to the top. Fun and steep...great one for getting your heart rate up. Tracked with Apple Watch (usually fairly accurate) and took exactly 3 hrs round trip. 90 mins to the top, rested and took my time hiking a few ridges after the last peak for 20-25 mins or so, then came back down in about 50 mins. Trail ran/jogged the bottom half for a quick descent. Length was close to 6 miles via my watch instead of 4.5 but I did go past the last peak and monument. Was nice and warm for the 1st day of September and I saw 5 other hikers on the trail.

This hike was truly breath taking and extremely strenuous. It just seems like 4.6 miles but the elevation gain is truly something you should care about. The first 2500 feet just keep going up and up with almost no flat ground. As you head higher from that there are few flat spots that come along. You climb a mountain and then realise you are at the bottom of another, feels never ending. Just know that each step along the way will make you happy at the ultimate view at the top. You start seeing the mountain ranges once you clear the initial forest area. The mountain peaks are visible all along with new ones becoming visible as you near the top. There was no one on this trail except my friend and me, which was a bit scary considering we were not equipped for a bear attack! It took us 3 hours to reach the top with short 1-2 minute breaks along the way and 2 hours to get down. There were some steep spots and some less trafficked areas that make you wait and decide on a safe way up. The top has a different weather. It got windy and chilly with my phone switching off due to the wind and low temperature. Make sure to have gloves with you. Definitely worth each step climbed and the amazing breathtaking view.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful trail to hike. Lots of spots to look at the water and the surrounding mountains. Extremely difficult to hike, but worth it in the end. The trail goes at what seems to be straight up. Recommended for experienced hikers.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

This hike is definitely one of the toughest I've gone on yet. All the false peaks killed my spirit a little, but once you get to the top it's all worth it. be prepared to sweat, bring bug spray and bring lots of water. This hike is beautiful though, don't get discouraged!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Hard climb up and down, but definitely worth it for the scenery.

Friday, June 30, 2017

This is a beautiful hike. Views are stunning! Definitely would consider this a "hard" hike. Wouldn't attempt unless you are in stellar shape.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Trail is currently closed due to black bear attack & death of a teen on 6/18/17.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Love this trail. I would rate it more than moderate due to the constant slope. No scrambling required, but this really stretched my legs well.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Bird Ridge was a gorgeous hike! My friend and I used trekking poles that definitely helped going down. Be prepared for false peaks. Once you get on the Ridge it gets easier ish. Peak 3 is where the survey monument.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Not for beginners or kids. This was our first trail to try after moving to Alaska, and the moderate to difficult rating for this trail leaned more on the difficult side for us. We made it about a mile and a half up before turning back (two adults with four kids). The views are amazing, but the false summits sufficed for us today.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Lots of highway noise from treeline, starts disapating towards top. Make sure to wear sunscreen, this trail is pretty exposed!
Make sure to explore some of the ridgeline behind the geodetic survey marker.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

This trail will definitely test you if you are not that experienced, well worth the views though! My first hike in Alaska and it was an incredible experience!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Hard hike but keep going all the way to the top- so worth it!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

This Trail was challenging but ohhhhhh my !!!! the sites where breathe taking!!! Alaska is just so darn beautiful!!!! It starts off steep and doesn't stop!! I'm not in the best of shape, but taking breaks was a must and I made it. I met a few people up and the conversations where great. There are they say 5 different fake summits, i believe we made to one lol. Huffing and puffing you will do, I was sweating buckets. But still kept going strong. It started to rain and get a bit windy so we headed back down. It's a good day hike and with this Trail I would advice to start really early to make it to the main Summit. But again I would hike it. Great workout going up and especially coming down!!! If you having walking sticks hoooooorayyyyy!!! They saved my life!! Happy Hiking & More Adventures⛰⛰

Thursday, May 04, 2017

5.3.17 Kyle 3hrs

Sunday, April 23, 2017

This hike was challenging and rewarding. The evelvation gain was no joke and it definitely felt like more than 2.5 miles to the top. The views from the summit are spectacular and well worth the climb. Going down the trail was rough on my knees with very little switchbacks. You go down the same steep trail you ascended on. Bring water and energizing food to complete this challenging hike!