Angel Rocks Trail

Angel Rocks Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairbanks, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,204 feet Route Type: Loop

Don't forget your bug spray like I did. Great views.

Weather and scenery is perfect but I would not suggest the loop ☝️❤️ Enjoy

This was a great trail! It was well kept and easy to walk through. When you do hit the uphill portion it gets a little tough but definitely doable. There were a few dogs out on the trail as well as a few small kids. So this hike is good for everyone! The views of the top of fantastic! They give a 360 degree view and is very pretty. Didn’t give it a full 5 stars because once at the top, we didn’t know where the loop connected/went. At the fork near the beginning we went left (could have gone either way). I wish there was a bit more signage at the top but if I went back and did it again I wouldn’t have any issues. Once at the top though, all you have to do is just keep walking along the trail, around the big rocks, and eventually you will hook up to the loop. But oh well! It was a nice hike regardless. P.S. BRING BUG SPRAY

This is a great quick hike, lots of viewpoints, moderately challenging up/ down at times. Since there are currently multiple active forest fires all over the state the views were quite smoky.

This was a beautiful trail! I would suggest not doing this as a loop and instead going up and back on the “back side” of the mountain. The front side (with the board walk) is very slippery sand and crowded. Awesome rocks all over to climb on and enjoy. Be prepared for mosquitos along the river. Make a day of it and head to Chena hot springs after!

Great trail! Family friendly. Took my almost 4 year old and he walked most of it himself. The only negative was how insane those mosquitoes are!

recorded Angel Rocks Trail

Great hike. Perfect day with a lot of fantastic views. Couple of spots where the trail was a little loose but not unmanageable. Clear day so we were able to see for miles.

This is a great trail to get you warmed up for summer hiking! Took about an hour and twenty minutes with a couple short breaks in there. Still some snow and ice on the trail and a little mud in some spots. Happy hiking!

The back side of the hill is still pretty icy and not easy to go down, but the conditions as a whole were decent. Breakup in full swing this morning.

I havent done a hike in a while and it was pretty tough for me BUT i was able to complete it! So for those who are a little heavier or out of shape - you can do it! Trail was a little muddy but not too bad! Definitely wear your bug spray.

It was an amazing trail but the terrain was not in our favor during this time of year. A lot of ice, deep snow and very muddy on some parts. Definitely give yourself more time and be careful!

Beautiful view at the top. The snow was so deep coming down that we kept falling down. Took 7 hours to do 3.6 miles. It was the hardest hike I have ever done but because of the snow.

Great trail. We walked it March 2019. Snow was well packed and trail was easy to follow. Lots of fun climbing on the rocks at the top. Easy hike per AK standards with only elevation gains near the end. Fun loop to do.

This is one of my go-to trails in the summer months. I’ve hiked Angel Rocks five times this past summer alone—I’ve brought friends and visiting family to this trail to give them a taste of Alaskan nature—and I definitely would not rate the trail as a moderate hike as it’s rather easy. I went snowshoeing 3/6 along this trail, as well, and it was absolutely stunning but the trail is quite narrow so I would suggest treading carefully.

Super nice small hike with a great view at the top especially if you're adventurous enough to climb the rock faces to a higher view. Finished this hike back in June of last year. Definitely recommend this hike to everyone, child to adult. Keep it real

Easy but beautiful hike! River and ridge views.

Very rewarding hike. It’s moderately difficult especially if you aren’t in shape, but it’s worth it. The view was spectacular. Would definitely hike this trail again.

This trail is spectacular! It is an easy 3.5 miles, feasible in 2-3 hours depending on your pace and stops. The trail can be a little muddy after a rain so check your weather or bring good boots. This trail should not be confused with the “Chena Nature” trail which is 8 miles and goes to the Chena hot springs. Parking is $5. There are optional rock climbs ranging from easy to dangerous so watch your kids. I noticed several dogs roaming free off the leash with their owners in proximity. Did not see any animals other than a few small birds and one squirrel (September 29). There are only two places to eat within a 20 mile radius. The first is Chena Hot Springs Resort ($$$) and the second is a small restaurant about 5 miles west on the main road ($$). Hope this helps!

Awesome hike! Did this trail with my wife and son (in a baby carrier) and my wife’s parents. Took us about 2 hours with some breaks for pictures and taking in the views. Trekking poles wouldn’t be a bad idea for the ascent to Angel Rocks and for the descent as well. We are somewhat newer hikers and found this trail to be moderate. It wasn’t terrible but there were some parts of the trail where the grade was making us sweat a little! All in all, awesome trail. Would definitely do it again!

If you do the whole loop i would say it is more of an intermediate hike. We also did it when it was raining and the trail had wet leaves everywhere. Trekking poles are a nice thing to have when doing the ascent/descent to and from angel rocks. Kid friendly for maybe 4/5 year olds. Toddlers would have too hard of a time. I’m glad we brought the backpack for my son, who just turned two. If you are thinking about turning around at the first viewpoint, don’t! My husband made us push through and I’m glad he did. The views from up there were amazing.

This trail is gorgeous! Definitely steep in areas but the views are incredible and so worth it! We also hiked part of granite tors and Angel Rocks was definitely my favorite by far.

What a great hike! Beautiful views. Not a hike for those with knee problems. I was pleased I had my trekking poles. Make sure you do the loop and not just the out-and-back.

I've been hiking this trail for years, and am never disappointed. The trail is steep in places (up to 52% grade), and can be hard to follow at the top. Awesome views are seen shortly after starting to climb.

Fun hike, very rewarding views at the top. There were quite a few people on a nice August day, but I didn’t feel too crowded. Definitely worth the drive from Fairbanks!