Angel Rocks Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairbanks, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length3.6 miElevation gain1,204 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestLakeViewsWildflowersWildlifeMuddy
Waypoints (0)
Photos (328)
Activities (139)
Completed (507)
Sarah Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 18, 2021
Hiking

great trail, the snow pack is starting to melt so i recommend snow shoes or trekking poles to help on the steep parts.

LT Talbot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2021
SnowshoeingGreat!Snow

Beautiful trail! This time of year make sure to take snowshoes! The first half of the trail was easy to follow, but then once you go around the rocks it's a little harder. We did the full loop and were able to find the trail again because there is some good signage. I'd recommend downloading the map for the trail to make sure you don't get lost. Otherwise BEAUTIFUL VIEWS and a great hike to do right before you go to Chena Hot Springs!

gabriel king
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2021

Bring snowshoes

View gabriel's activity
Alayne Stephens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 15, 2021
HikingGreat!IcySnow

Trail report from February 14th: first part of the trail that runs along the river is post-holed to hell and back so I took the snowshoes off for that leg. Move carefully or risk rolling an ankle/taking a dip in the deep snow. You absolutely want gaiters to keep the snow from going up your pants and down your boots. Trekking poles came in handy. Once the trail turned away from the river it was nice and packed but beware a slippery slope. I was carrying a lot of weight so I put the snowshoes back on and it helped me with my traction, but honestly I think you can get away with just wearing yaktrax or nothing at all if you aren’t carrying a whole lot of weight. Just be prepared to slip a little bit if you don’t bring yaktrax or trekking poles. Great bluebird day on Valentine’s Day.

Alyssa B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 11, 2021
Lakhan Khushalani
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2020
View Lakhan's activity
Kensie Arnold
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2020
Hiking

Let me just start by saying that this trail is definitely not toddler friendly for anyone wondering. The walk by the river is very nice and flat, but it soon becomes very steep and rocky and very hard for younger ones to maneuver. We went today with our 3 and 5 year old. We ended up having to carry our 3 yr old most of the trail bc it was too hard on her. The times she did try she fell a lot. My 5 year old did better and was in really good spirits about it, but he also slipped a lot and I had to hold his hand half the time. This was not moderate at all about 1 hr in and is quite steep for at least an hour. What we hoped would be a lovely hike turned into a nightmare for us. We also brought our dogs and ran into 3 dogs that were off leash and not close enough to their owners to be leashed, and one of ours doesn’t do well with other dogs. The hike itself was absolutely beautiful and worth the hike! The views are stunning of the range, and the walk along the river is lovely and easy. It was quite windy at the top today, not sure if it’s like that all the time but it made it a good 10 degrees colder too. Some of the trails had ice forming, but none so bad we couldn’t hike. I would recommend this hike for older kids and up! We got lucky and our 5 yr old loves to climb and adventure, so he didn’t complain but it was def. hard for him. If it was just me and my husband I would have rated higher and enjoyed our time better. Just wanted to give our two cents have our experience with toddlers.

Chris Topher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 11, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRocky

Most popular trail in Fairbanks. Lots of people on the trail pretty much all day. Trail is decent at best with some areas pretty worn. There was some surface mud on the trail but nothing too crazy. Frost has arrived making the wood decking in the beginning slippery if not in the right shoes. Be prepared for leashed/unleashed dogs. Overall a moderate quick hike that presents great views if you can get around all the noisy people hooting, hollering and climbing over every big rock they see. This is a great hike to help you get your Instagram credit, as there is a ton of picture opportunities.

Nicole Pennington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
Hiking

Ice starting to form on the backside of the trail & lots of mud but beautiful views at the top!

View Nicole's activity
Jake B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful views at the top and along side the river. Nice lodge and inn close by for an extended comfortable stay inside for those not into camping. Well maintained trails.

Nathan Philip
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2020

Too many goddamn people

View Nathan's activity
Christy Wagnon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 1, 2020
HikingGreat!

I think it was a little more than moderate- but overall a lovely day. Starting from the trailhead- the river is lovely. The bathrooms get 5 stars- one of the cleanest trail head bathrooms I’ve been in. Walk along the river for a bit. I THINK we should have gone counter clockwise when the trail splits at the boardwalk- but we opted to go clockwise. It’s starts out pretty flat and then gets pretty steep heading up to the rocks. In a few places the trail was tough to follow- but I think that is because we went the wrong way. The views from the top were beautiful. The way down was tough on the knees so glad we opted to bring poles. It is a work out- I feel like it’s a bit more than moderate- but I haven’t been hiking regularly for awhile. But get intro to Fairbanks hiking.

Christopher Lloyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2020
Hiking

Amazing hike. Love the rocks in the trail. Moderate trail. Easy to follow.

View Christopher 's activity
Wyatt Fournier
Hiking

nothing else like it in the state

View Wyatt's activity
Anna Lashbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
HikingBridge outGreat!Muddy

Sooooo worth it in the end, don’t get me wrong “moderate” isn’t something I would label this hike at as I literally almost died and had multiple asthma attacks but seriously so beautiful. Highly recommend.

Cathy Poral
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
Hiking

Was a lovely introductory trail to experiencing Fairbanks area. Some area were muddy but overall a fun hike. The views were beautiful with fall colors and part of the trail is along the rivers edge.

Chandler Alford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Chandler's activity
Dr. K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2020
Hiking

Overall great trail. Muddy at spots, but well marked with multiple scenic loops.

View Dr.'s activity
Emily Sieminski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
HikingFee

Beautiful trail with great views, hiked mid September with an almost 3 yr old. The beginning of the trail was rough for the toddler as there were lots of rocks and tree roots sticking up from the ground. After we got past that it was smooth sailing.

Maja Kjær
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!Muddy

Great hike with an amazing view! Especially now where you can see all the fall colors. Bit muddy, but it was okay. Signs could have been better

Matt Morrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is the second time I hiked this trail. To see the leaves change color into fall is & amazing view. Highly recommended for those who enjoy a great day hike.